PDA

View Full Version : CSO running my plate?

Tacit Blue
08-11-2011, 12:36 PM
Hey guys,

So about 15 mins ago i had a rather odd experience, i was dropping off my brothers friend at his house. And there was a Community Service Officer in the area, i drove past him. Nothing out of the ordinary, then as i come up to the traffic light. He and i look at each other and he smiles, then i turn my head back towards the light, and out of my peripheral vision i noticed he's looking at my plate and writing it down. He tried to do it stealthy, as i noticed his eyes moving . And he pulls the page out and keys in my plate number into the MDT? Isn't this unusual behavior for a CSO?

I'm taking a written test soon, will this input show up on a background investigation? Btw, i drive a Crown Vic so maybe he thought i was LE??

BigDogatPlay
08-11-2011, 12:43 PM
Please don't take this as a trite response, as that is not my intent, but you knew he was running your plate, how?

:)

That said, CSO's that are doing parking enforcement, collision investigation, initial report taking etc. are fully authorized by their employer to have CLETS access within the course and scope of their duties.

Tacit Blue
08-11-2011, 12:47 PM
Please don't take this as a trite response, as that is not my intent, but you knew he was running your plate, how?

:)

That said, CSO's that are doing parking enforcement, collision investigation, initial report taking etc. are fully authorized by their employer to have CLETS access within the course and scope of their duties.

I don't know for a fact, but why else would he write down my plate?

I did nothing to warrant any suspicious behavior, or of the sorts. Like i said i noticed him glancing over at my front plate and his eyes shifting, his mouth moving as he was trying to recall the plate number.

RazzB7
08-11-2011, 12:57 PM
Tinfoil a little tight?

Guy was probably writing down his shopping list.

Tacit Blue
08-11-2011, 1:02 PM
Tinfoil a little tight?

Guy was probably writing down his shopping list.

Wow. really, i doubt he was writing a shopping a list. Are you even LEO? because your now supposed to state that in your post instead of writing fud like you did....

RazzB7
08-11-2011, 1:09 PM
Wow. really, i doubt he was writing a shopping a list. Are you even LEO? because your now supposed to state that in your post instead of writing fud like you did....

Sorry. I read from the new posts section, so I don't always know what section I'm in.

No, I'm not a Law Enforcement Officer of any kind.

Let me re-phrase my original post in a kinder, gentler manner. You saw him looking at your plate, you saw him writing. It is entirely possible that the two are not connected.

It is entirely possible that you are right and he was running your plate. But if you weren't doing anything, why does it matter? Let them run it.

Tacit Blue
08-11-2011, 1:10 PM
Sorry. I read from the new posts section, so I don't always know what section I'm in.

No, I'm not a Law Enforcement Officer of any kind.

Let me re-phrase my original post in a kinder, gentler manner. You saw him looking at your plate, you saw him writing. It is entirely possible that the two are not connected.

It is entirely possible that you are right and he was running your plate. But if you weren't doing anything, why does it matter? Let them run it.

The question i asked is there a incident of it being logged in the CAD system, that's why i jumped on here and asked. In other words, im trying to avoid negative LE contact, because i'm applying...

ham
08-11-2011, 1:23 PM
(Im not a LEO, but I did stay at a holiday Inn.)

maybe he was bored and thought he might get lucky on an infraction.

dominic
08-11-2011, 1:31 PM
The question i asked is there a incident of it being logged in the CAD system, that's why i jumped on here and asked. In other words, im trying to avoid negative LE contact, because i'm applying...

I'm not a LEO, but the CAD is FUD, the NCIS is LOL, you're GTGO if you NEO APP, now take CP and STP.

IrishJoe3
08-11-2011, 1:32 PM

dude...chill. So what if he did run your plate, what does it matter? I run hundreds of plates every day for no reason other than they are there.

And, maybe he WAS writting a shopping list...you're the one drawing conclusions that he even wrote your plate down.

Ron-Solo
08-11-2011, 1:33 PM
Tacit, CSOs are authorized to run plates. No probable cause is needed. It WON'T show up on any background investigation, so no worries there.

I had a CSO working for me once that recovered more stolen vehicles than any of my deputies because he was always running plates. When he'd get one that was occupied, he'd direct deputies in who would make the stop.

Relax, loosen the tin foil a little, and good luck in your background interview. :D

Aloha,

Ron

PositiveInfluence
08-11-2011, 1:35 PM
(Non-LEO)

I highly doubt that him running your plate will show up during a BI or an interview. If it does somehow get brought up, just be honest since it is not like you had anything to hide.

dominic
08-11-2011, 1:38 PM
(Non-LEO)

I highly doubt that him running your plate will show up during a BI or an interview. If it does somehow get brought up, just be honest since it is not like you had anything to hide.

I'm not a LEO, but it may show up during his BM though.

PositiveInfluence
08-11-2011, 1:54 PM
I'm not a LEO, but it may show up during his BM though.

His plate was run, not his name. And getting your plate run is an everyday thing. I have seen local LEO's running the plate on my car almost everyday. Well except now since I do not live in the ghetto.

Tacit, just sit back and relax man. Just keep your nose clean and put out 100% and I am sure we will be hearing about your new job soon enough.

Good luck brother.

Tacit Blue
08-11-2011, 2:02 PM
Thanks guys, i think i was over-reacting. Just never had a CSO do that to me. Marked units, i wouldn't be so shocked as they do routine checks. On the ride along i went on, the Officer did this.

JS89
08-11-2011, 2:09 PM
The fact that you use "suspicious behavior" when a member of a law enforcement agency runs your plate is a little scary. Regardless if it was a CSO or sworn member, it's within the scope of their duties. Maybe you will realize one day that rollers are the best way to get an occupied 10851 stat. There's nothing suspicious about someone doing their job... Well at least there shouldnt be.

biochembruin
08-11-2011, 2:42 PM
I think you're just nervous about your background process, which is normal because you don't really know what they're looking at, or looking for. As far as that goes, just relax (and I mean that in the most sincere, nicest way!). You've done your part by preparing yourself for the job, so just let the process work and all will be fine.

There is no record kept of someone running your plate which will show up on your background check. I guarantee your plate has probably been run a dozen times without your knowledge because your plate is in plain view. As far as you noticing that the officer MAY have been running your plate (something you don't know for sure unless you were in the car with him), it's not a big deal. Again, the officer needs no reason to run your plate, since it's in plain view.

Once you get hired and see how the job works, you'll feel silly that you were worrying about this.

hitman13
08-11-2011, 7:10 PM
Ha, I run plates ALL DAY if it's slow and I'm not on another call.

I have a great article on why LEO can run plates with no RS if anyone wants to read it I can email it to you

eltee
08-11-2011, 10:33 PM
Tacit, as a former background investigator I'm giving you a courtesy heads up on your car. You mentioned that it is a Crown Vic and that the CSO may have mistaken you/your car as LE. If you have one of those Crown Vics that have the extra antenna(s), pursuit wheels and caps, etc. that sometimes leads people to think it is an unmarked unit, it may create some curiosity with your B.I. and maybe even your psych evaluator. One pre-hire psych used to send a subordinate to the parking lot to check out the car of the applicant about to be interviewed to see if it was a wannabe cop car, clean inside or littered with SWAT, GUNS & AMMO, etc. reading material.

I want to see you get into the business, so just a friendly ... just in case. Good luck.

Ron-Solo
08-11-2011, 11:44 PM
Good advice Eltee!

Tacit Blue
08-11-2011, 11:54 PM
Tacit, as a former background investigator I'm giving you a courtesy heads up on your car. You mentioned that it is a Crown Vic and that the CSO may have mistaken you/your car as LE. If you have one of those Crown Vics that have the extra antenna(s), pursuit wheels and caps, etc. that sometimes leads people to think it is an unmarked unit, it may create some curiosity with your B.I. and maybe even your psych evaluator. One pre-hire psych used to send a subordinate to the parking lot to check out the car of the applicant about to be interviewed to see if it was a wannabe cop car, clean inside or littered with SWAT, GUNS & AMMO, etc. reading material.

I want to see you get into the business, so just a friendly ... just in case. Good luck.

http://images02.olx.com/ui/1/96/82/f_569482_2.jpg

It's a base Crown Vic... No spot lights or antennas or any whackerish type of stuff. looks exactly like this one. I think i should just get rid of the car, i liked it for its reliability, cheap maintenance etc. After owning a couple sports cars, that ran me into the ground almost with reliability and cost issues. I decided to get something more practical.. I've always liked crown vics too. Truth be told i wanted a Mecury Marauder....

TrailerparkTrash
08-12-2011, 12:00 AM
Hey guys,

So about 15 mins ago i had a rather odd experience, i was dropping off my brothers friend at his house. And there was a Community Service Officer in the area, i drove past him. Nothing out of the ordinary, then as i come up to the traffic light. He and i look at each other and he smiles, then i turn my head back towards the light, and out of my peripheral vision i noticed he's looking at my plate and writing it down. He tried to do it stealthy, as i noticed his eyes moving . And he pulls the page out and keys in my plate number into the MDT? Isn't this unusual behavior for a CSO?

I'm taking a written test soon, will this input show up on a background investigation? Btw, i drive a Crown Vic so maybe he thought i was LE??
As another poster mentioned, he's within the scope of his duty. All legal.

That being said, one's license plates being run by LEO's, or parking enforcement or CSO's, is NOT an infringement of anyone's rights. The ability to run a license plate by a government LE agency and their agents (CSO'S, cops, etc....) is LESS than what's needed for "reasonable suspicion" and a "detention" of a person.

In other words........ Running a plate is NOT hurting you. That's the way the courts have looked at it.

KevH
08-14-2011, 12:17 PM
I run the plate of almost every car I'm behind to check if it is stolen, expired, etc. Having your plate run means absolutely nothing.

I don't know you at all and please don't take this the wrong way, but unless you have silver hair or are issued one as a fleet vehicle driving a Crown Vic is a tad weird and is going to rub most cops the wrong way.

infernl
08-14-2011, 12:39 PM
I don't know you at all and please don't take this tmm unless you have silver hair or are issued one as a fleet vehicle driving a Crown Vic is a tad weird and is going to rub most cops the wrong way.

I'm not LE. Is it your opinion by this statement, that most cops, including you, are prone to preliminarily judging others? - Because someone drives an ugly grandma car, you form a negative opinion of them? If this is the case, I hope I never have to interact with "most cops". LE have huge responsibility, granted. Unfortunately, it seems that a God complex also comes with the package.

Contrary to popular belief, I don't believe that most people want your job.

Tacit Blue
08-14-2011, 1:07 PM
I run the plate of almost every car I'm behind to check if it is stolen, expired, etc. Having your plate run means absolutely nothing.

I don't know you at all and please don't take this the wrong way, but unless you have silver hair or are issued one as a fleet vehicle driving a Crown Vic is a tad weird and is going to rub most cops the wrong way.

So a regular Crown Vic rubs you the wrong way? There's kids in my town that have a full blown retired patrol car, pushbar spot lights etc.. I just kinda laugh.

If it concerns LE so much, why don't you guys crush them, instead of selling them at auctions.

Like i said i like the car because it's reliable, 4.6 engine has a timing chain. So the engine is good for like 300k, compared most other cars which will never last that long. Sorry if i don't want to be in debt with a financed car again, at least my car is paid off for..

Kody the Enforcer
08-14-2011, 1:08 PM
I'm not LE. Is it your opinion by this statement, that most cops, including you, are prone to preliminarily judging others? - Because someone drives an ugly grandma car, you form a negative opinion of them? If this is the case, I hope I never have to interact with "most cops". LE have huge responsibility, granted. Unfortunately, it seems that a God complex also comes with the package.

Does it hurt when you think?

infernl
08-14-2011, 1:22 PM
Does it hurt when you think?

Why? Because it took you so long to form a one sentence, no-thought reply?

Welcome to Calguns...

hitman13
08-14-2011, 1:40 PM
I have no problem with people who drive CVs. Those things are tough as nails and roomy! Perfect family wagon IMO.

SoCalDep
08-14-2011, 6:35 PM

There are several reasons law enforcement officers are somewhat suspicious about people who drive law enforcement type vehicles. Some of these reasons include law enforcement impersonators and criminals who feel they are less likely to be stopped or interfered with by driving law enforcement looking cars. In addition, they are cheap to purchase, especially third or fourth owner, thus when one can't afford any other car because they have a suspended license from too many traffic fines, their last car was impounded and they can't afford to get it out because they're spending too much money on meth to actually pay traffic tickets, they buy cheap cars. Old, beat up cop cars are cheap, and fall into the category of vehicles often yielding good dope arrests.

There is a reason police run lots of late 80s to mid 90's Hondas. They are the number one stolen car. Yes, one could say we are preliminarily judging. It's called good police work.

My last meth arrest came out of an early 2000's Lincoln (Crown Vic body style) and I've got pictures on my phone of the early 2000's crown vic all set up to look just like a plain wrap, including push bar, rear cage, and a cheesy radio shack siren system (with animal noises...hilarious!). You can say I'm judging. I say I'm learning from my experiences.

Ron-Solo
08-14-2011, 8:14 PM
Why? Because it took you so long to form a one sentence, no-thought reply?

No, because your post has an Anti-LE flavor to it. I kind of agree with Kody on this one, but I'm not as blunt as he/she is.

And a low post count doesn't mean they haven't been monitoring the forums for a while. :cool:

SoCalDep summed it up pretty well.

KevH
08-15-2011, 9:11 AM
Tacit-

Like I said, don't take it the wrong way. I understand the Crown Vic is a reliable car and there is a reason PD's have relied on them for years, but...

There are a lot of "wanna-be's" out there that try and put out a cop vibe. No, they're not out there trying to do anything criminal or pulling people over, but they're generally security guards or loss-prevention guys that wear polo's and 5.11 pants and try to dress "tactical" in their day to day life and a lot of them drive...you guessed it...Crown Victorias.

So when you go into a background to be a cop and you're driving the most common cop car in the United States then you're probably going to raise a few flags to a backround investigator.

mikel7070
08-15-2011, 9:39 AM
LEO here, all sound advice like always. The Crown Vic may or may not raise some red flags, it all depends on your BI, and how they view things. Obviously things such as a tac vest, bdu's, etc littered in your car will raise some issues, but in my opinion, the bigger question would be if your personal life is a mess and unorganized, how will your work be?

To the statement about the wannabes buying used patrol cars, all I can say is good luck. Those cars have the hardest 100,000 miles on them ever. I'm surprised they even run when they are retired!

Bobby Ricigliano
08-16-2011, 12:07 AM
If he has an MDT in his car and CLETS access then he can run any car he likes without any need for justification so long as it is done within the scope of his duties. God knows how many great hooks have resulted from License plate Bingo.