PDA

View Full Version : The Gist of It

BoilermakerJim
01-15-2007, 11:16 AM
I love this site. I love my ARs. I can't wait until the 308 OLLs come out. However, even great things can improve. I have one suggestion.

I was reading through the " Arrested and jailed. pc12280b. Poss of AW. Today case dismissed. Did I win?" and it reminded me of so many other valuable strings, both the good things about them and the bad things about them.

The GOOD things are that these strings answer complicated issues, large groups of people learn, member interaction happens. HOWEVER, they can also be painful. By painful I mean 30 pages filled with comments that, while the conversation may be happening may be interesting, but if you're simply trying to understand the end result and the key points is arduous. Pages upon pages of "+1" or "that DA is an idiot" or whatever. Interesting conversation but man it it hard to get to the heart of the matter.

SUGGESTION: (1) have a "hall of fame" area for the most valuable posts so that they never get lost, (2) for those posts have one of the venerable oracles here (Bweise, Xenophobe, etc.) post a summary at the top. That way, people can get it without paging through mountains of comments and the gist is by someone who is renowned for knowing their stuff and being skilled at synthesizing a complicated issue in a way that is easy to comprehend. No comments to the gist!!! Think of it like a judge's ruling.

Remember...I think this place is awesome, I just think this would make it better.

rkt88edmo
01-15-2007, 11:21 AM
If you go to the frontpage there is the OLL FAQ.

If you want to collate summarize and update posts it can probably be arranged.

If people can't process and understand the data and discussions they should stick to the "unquestionably" legal guns; sad situation, but it is what it is.

Your suggestion is great, but it takes a lot of time and effort to do it.

rkt88edmo
01-15-2007, 11:45 AM
That doesn't address the time and effort, which I will submit as the major barrier.

:D

kermit
01-15-2007, 5:31 PM
Maybe the originator of a thread, which is choosen for the Hall of Fame section, could add a short summary as an edit to their first post. This will take some of the load off the moderators and preserve the flavor of the original post. I would think that could be accomplished with the current software.