PDA

View Full Version : OLL and fixed mags

Stanky626
01-15-2007, 8:34 AM
First off, this is an awesome board. I've been sitting here all weekend researching OLL builds.

I need a little clarification. Hopefully you folks can help out. If I have an OLL receiver, do I still need a fixed mag? From what I've been reading, I do need a fixed mag. But, I can use the Prince50 to lock in a 10-rounder.

Someone else posted that we can cut out the magwell of a Bushmaster Carbon 15 and install a fixed mag. Is that legal since the lower receiver is not OLL? :confused:

Finally, where can I still get an OLL?

Thanks everyone. :)

tenpercentfirearms
01-15-2007, 8:39 AM
You have to do two things to be legal.

1) You cannot have a listed lower. http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/infobuls/kaslist.pdf

2) You must follow the generic assault weapons ban in PC 12276.1.

So if you want to have evil features, you will need a fixed magazine kit. If you take off all of the evil features, you can have detachable magazines.

You could in theory cut out a Bushmaster Carbon 15 mag well, but that would be a pretty dumb thing to do considering OLLs cost less and are already ready to go. So yes it is legal as long as it isn't a listed assault weapon.

It helps to post your location in order to help you find lowers. I have lowers in Taft (by Bakersfield) and for everywhere else it is hard to beat www.coldwarshooters.com.

JesseXXX
01-15-2007, 8:43 AM
Welcome to the forum.....

Yup.... get a couple of them (OLL's)... I have a couple Double Stars and a Superior Arms myself... (I'll be getting a couple more though)... The people here are AWESOME, they will steer you right.... As to where to get your lowers....and stuff, you can get everything from here... ColdWar's / Ten Percent and D Ranch..... as for grips, here too... Monster Man / Semi-Auto Sam..... The people here have been really nice to me....keeping me straight and legal.... I guess you got the "BRD"... :O)

edog11
01-15-2007, 8:46 AM
Welcome to the board

Aluisious
01-15-2007, 8:51 AM
First off, this is an awesome board. I've been sitting here all weekend researching OLL builds.

I need a little clarification. Hopefully you folks can help out. If I have an OLL receiver, do I still need a fixed mag? From what I've been reading, I do need a fixed mag. But, I can use the Prince50 to lock in a 10-rounder.

Someone else posted that we can cut out the magwell of a Bushmaster Carbon 15 and install a fixed mag. Is that legal since the lower receiver is not OLL? :confused:

Finally, where can I still get an OLL?

Thanks everyone. :)
Were you the guy at Sunnyvale Rod and Gun Club on Saturday?

Stanky626
01-15-2007, 9:22 AM
Were you the guy at Sunnyvale Rod and Gun Club on Saturday?

Nope. I live in Sunny So Cal. I believe Sunnyvale is in Nor Cal. Correct?

Stanky626
01-15-2007, 9:28 AM
It helps to post your location in order to help you find lowers. I have lowers in Taft (by Bakersfield) and for everywhere else it is hard to beat www.coldwarshooters.com.

Thanks for the info TenPercent. :D I take it you're the owner of TenPercentFirearms.com. I've been browsing your website all weekend. ColdWarShooters is a good one, too.

I live in Los Angeles. Do you have any contacts in LA? Taft is a bit of a drive.

Will you be at the up coming Ontario Gun Show?

Aluisious
01-15-2007, 10:17 AM
Nope. I live in Sunny So Cal. I believe Sunnyvale is in Nor Cal. Correct?
Yeah.

There was a guy here who said he was thinking about OLLs and was going to check out the site.

tenpercentfirearms
01-15-2007, 8:14 PM
If you want lowers, www.coldwarshooters is the way to go. They have transfer dealers all over the southland. You can always hit me up on the other parts if you wish.

gn3hz3ku1*
01-15-2007, 8:44 PM
DDSranch.com is another place
where in the 626 are you?

MonsterMan
01-16-2007, 5:39 PM
In the L.A. area there is Metrostot in San Fernando and then there is Gun Runners in Duarte. I have been to both and they are both great. I have not been to Ammo Bros, but I have met the guys and they are cool also.

MM

SemiAutoSam
01-16-2007, 5:56 PM
Hey Monster Man nice new Avatar.

MonsterMan
01-16-2007, 6:28 PM
Hey Monster Man nice new Avatar.

Thanks for noticing. It is the new symbol on the side of the new AR grip. Pretty snazzy don't ya think? :cool:

Heavy_Grinder
01-16-2007, 6:40 PM
Since you live in Los Angeles, drive on down to cerritos and hit up ammo bros. Go ahead and see what all the fuss is about. I guarentee you that you wont leave that place with just one oll. Just too many goodies to chose from.

Exit Alondra and make a left onto Piuma or go straight into Piuma if you're coming southbound on the 605.

BTW. Are you the same guy who had that recent FTE issue with your su16 on ktog.?

rorschach
01-16-2007, 6:49 PM
+1 for Metroshot, CWS, DD's Ranch

I live a few miles from Ammo Bros and I'll still make the drive to Metro to get receivers and transfers.

OldLandParkPat
01-16-2007, 6:54 PM
-subscribe-

Stanky626
01-16-2007, 7:55 PM
BTW. Are you the same guy who had that recent FTE issue with your su16 on ktog.?

That's me!!! I've got a Bushmaster extractor on it's way. I'm hoping that'll solve my SU problem.

I bought the SU to hold me over while I build an AR. I originally passed on the Bushmaster Carbon 15, because the welded magwell just didn't appeal to me. I'm planning on using the Prince 50 and a C Products 10/30 mag.

Cheers.