View Full Version : Moss 835 Tactical Turkey

01-15-2007, 8:26 AM
Just wondering if anyone around here has one. I am looking for something to bring with me on my next Alaska trip. I want something to shoot ducks with and keep around the tent for bears. I like the stock and the ability to use chokes. The duck hunting is easy up there and shooting is close. The stock would be a bonus on the raft, in the tent and in the alders.

However, I am a lefty and would need to move the spare ammo carrier over to the other side. I wanted to know if it is removable or able to switch sides.
I can not seem to find one locally. Thanks!

01-15-2007, 9:05 AM
A great resource for shotgun info is http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/index.php. A quick search on the Mossberg 835 will turn up lots of reading, and you can ask about the ammo carrier question.

01-15-2007, 9:23 AM
I've got the 500 version of that as I didn't think I would need a 3.5" chamber. Its a nice shotgun, but the holders are too tight! Its tough getting shells in and out. I know the holders can be removed, almost sure that it can mounted on the other side. Bought mines for turkey and possibly coyote when in the brush. I had to order mines as no one seems to have it in stock.

01-15-2007, 11:30 AM
I will check over there too.

01-15-2007, 11:32 AM
A great calling gun too....

Several of the places we hunt down here are really tight and are perfect for a Shotgun.

01-15-2007, 8:43 PM
The duck hunting is easy up there and shooting is close.

There is no reason whatsoever you should ever use less than a 28 inch barrel chocked off to Modified for hunting waterfowl. Even at close distances, this setup produces tight, accurate groups that delivers clean kills and save you the trouble of chasing down wounded birds. And bears don't know the difference between a 24 inch and 28 inch barrel either :D!

You may not think those extra 4 inches make a difference, but they do. I found there is a HUGE difference even between a 26 inch barrel and 28 inch barrel when waterfowling!!! Go with 28 inches even if the ducks are landing directly on the barrel of your shotgun! Last I checked the ducks up in Alaska were pretty big too (Harlequin ducks, etc) so you'll want to be using Steel Shot #2 and have a setup that is chambered for 3.5 inch shells.

Case in point: here is a limit I shot close range both over a decoy spread and landing in the spread a couple weeks back. I used a Beretta Xtrema2 with a 28 inch barrel and 3.5 inch Kent Fasteel shells