View Full Version : First bolt action, options questions

08-10-2011, 5:13 PM
Hi all, I'm doing shopping for a bolt action rifle I'm trying to cobble together. I started out at US Firearms Co in Sunnyvale, which is a great shop, btw. My cousin has a 10 FP-SR from Savage, and I was pretty impressed with it when I used it. I'm looking at potentially getting a 10 FCP-K from Savage. The ranges nearby only go up to 100 yards, so I'll probably get 223 because it's cheaper than 308.

I'd like to get a nice scope. The guy at USFC told me Leupold is very good, and I've heard that before. I'm also looking into Nikon, particularly the Monarch series. For Leupold, I've mainly looked at the VX-3 line. I saw some Mark 4s w/ illuminated reticle down at USFC and those were sweet, but I don't know if I should spend so much. I've also read good things about Nightforce, but again -- very expensive.

I'd like a scope that's good at 50 yards and probably up to 300. I'd like one with parallax adjustment, and a nice reticle. I'd like a variable mag. I've been looking at ranges like 4.5-15 and 6-18, and 3-12. I don't need illuminated reticle. I'd like something that's durable, warranted for life, clear, bright, etc.

08-10-2011, 5:21 PM
Save a little cash and get a Nikon Monarch from the SAMPLE list here... www.riflescopes.com you will be glad you did!

08-10-2011, 5:26 PM
well my suggestion is to set yourself a budget for the scope then look at the scopes in that price range. Read the reviews and do you homework. Decide what is important to you in the trade space of scopes in your price range. Everyone has different tastes.

08-10-2011, 5:37 PM
A 3-12x should be fine for those distances.

08-10-2011, 11:09 PM
How do you guys think this would do for me?

I'd probably send it in to have M1 dials put on. Otherwise, it seems good.

08-10-2011, 11:38 PM
If I could do it all over again, I would get only one bolt action rifle, it would be a Remington-700-style action with a Kreiger barrel in one of the modern 6.5mm calibers, like 6.5x47 Lapua or 260 Remington.

The choice of 700-style action because of the availability of parts and gunsmiths who know how to work on them, e.g. fit/headspace/install new barrels or inlet/bed stocks for you.

I choose Krieger because they are nice barrels.

I choose 6.5mm because they have such high ballistic coefficient ~140 grain bullets.