PDA

View Full Version : AR first round feeding problem.....help!

Hopi
01-15-2007, 7:15 AM
Ok, so upon attempting to chamber a first round in my newly-built AR, the bolt carrier fails to slide all the way forward. With some effort, I have to use forward assist to chamber the round. After the first round is chambered and fired, the remaining 28 rounds feed and fire perfectly. Could this be a spring problem, maybe a lubrication issue? Help!

Thanks!

grywlfbg
01-15-2007, 7:38 AM
This typically means you're riding the charging handle back to the breech.

Treat it like a pinball machine. Pull the charging handle back and let 'er fly! :D

Also, what mags are you using? Could be mag related. But I infer you're only loading 29 rounds into a 30-round mag? What if you just load 2 rounds (or 1 even) into a mag?

Chris

Gringo Bandito
01-15-2007, 7:40 AM
I ran into the same problem and found that more lube solved the problem in most cases. When loading the mag, is it difficult to load the last few rounds? It could be that the last few rounds are compressing the spring too much as well.

Aluisious
01-15-2007, 8:17 AM
Probably mag or riding the charging handle.

Do the test like Ragweed says, and if it's not that, make sure you're letting that charging handle fly.

Santa Cruz Armory
01-15-2007, 8:27 AM
+1 to what grywlfbg said

Stanze
01-15-2007, 8:36 AM
Firearms are designed to be manhandled, don't be shy. That said what kind of mags, ammo are you using?