PDA

View Full Version : Problems with stuck takedown pin

DedEye
01-15-2007, 1:36 AM
I've asked about it before, but I'm having no luck at all. When I install the takedown pin (either the standard or the Watson extended), then the detent + spring, then the stock, I can't move the takedown pin at all. The detent seems to get stuck in the groove on the takedown pin, I can't push it in or out, even with tools with the detent installed. If the stock isn't installed and the detent is just resting on top of the takedown pin, then I can move the takedown pin with some difficulty.

Ideas?

mr2.0
01-15-2007, 1:42 AM
File the sharp end of detent pin down a little bit and the takedown pin should come in and out smoother

A324
01-15-2007, 7:20 AM
I've experienced the same problem, like mr2.0 says smooth off the sharp point of the detent pin and glob a little moly grease (or simular lubricant) in the takedown pin groove. Keep working it and eventually it will operate smoothly.

kap
01-15-2007, 9:44 AM
Just give it a gentle yet solid whack with the palm of your hand to get it in.

To get it out push with your thumb on one side and pull with your other hand from the opposite side.

Getting it in and out will get easier after a few times using this method. A little grease wouldn't hurt either.

Aluisious
01-15-2007, 9:54 AM
Just give it a gentle yet solid whack with the palm of your hand to get it in.

To get it out push with your thumb on one side and pull with your other hand from the opposite side.

Getting it in and out will get easier after a few times using this method. A little grease wouldn't hurt either.
+1 on attacking the problem from both sides.

SemiAutoSam
01-15-2007, 10:36 AM
As far as lube goes I would use a silicone spray as it will not attract dirt the same way grease will.

And it will be a lot less messy.

mike452
01-15-2007, 10:51 AM
File the sharp end of detent pin down a little bit and the takedown pin should come in and out smoother

+1

I used a small flat screwdriver to push the pin back while pushing the pin.

xenophobe
01-15-2007, 12:08 PM
Sounds like your detent is too sharp AND the detent spring hole is out of spec. Just sanding/filing the detent won't work well.

Take the spring out. Clip several 2-4 coils off the spring.

Reinstall, and then actuate the pin back and fourth from fully open to fully closed about 2-3 dozen times to smooth the pin out. Oil it and you should be good to go.

After this it should be smooth as butter.

DedEye
01-16-2007, 3:40 PM
I seem to have finally solved my problem :cool:.

As some of you know, I bent/broke the takedown spring and am waiting on a replacement arriving in the mail. In the meantime, I stuck the partially broken spring in on top of the detent and installed the stock on top of it. With the takedown pin starting in the open position, I used a hammer to start it moving a couple dozen times, then using a jury-rigged punch setup hammered it back through from the other side. Its significantly looser now, and hopefully when I get the new spring I won't have as much trouble with it.