PDA

View Full Version : Remington 31, and other pre WWII shotguns?

MidnightSon117
01-14-2007, 11:06 PM
I got a chance to handle a Remington 31 a few weeks ago, and I must say the action on it was remarkable. This was a pre-WWII, 1935 riot shotgun, and was slick as can be. I've developed an interest in shotguns back then, and I'm looking for info on their techniques the gunsmith used to smooth the action, as well as other shotguns made around the time. I've heard of hand-fitting (which I don't know the meaning of exactly), as well as chamfering (I know what this means, just wondering if it's part of the hand-fitting process), but that's about it. Anyone into these old shotguns or have any information on production quality/production techniques? I'm mainly interested in pump actions, as a smooth tug backwards on a smooth action like that is almost unforgettable. Thanks.

socalguns
01-16-2007, 1:14 AM
hand fitting means hand filing whatever doesn't fit
experienced people recognize when parts are off, so they adjust

tankerman
01-16-2007, 5:38 AM
31's and M12's came from the factory with sweet smooth actions. Modern day firearms are just tossed together. I don't think that those guns were sent to a 'smith after they left the factory, they didn't need the work. Also, after much use they just seem to get smoother

socalguns
01-16-2007, 5:56 AM
Hahahaha, the factory employs competent experienced people who put it together right :)

-hanko
01-16-2007, 3:29 PM
hand fitting means hand filing whatever doesn't fit
experienced people recognize when parts are off, so they adjust
Pardon the semi-hijack;) . Just like older SW revolvers.

-hanko