PDA

View Full Version : M1907 Sling for LTR?

John C
08-10-2011, 1:08 AM
I'm rebuilding an old 10/22 of mine into an LTR. I've been reading about LTR builds, and the common suggestion is to get a canvas M1 Garand sling. I already have an unused Uncle Mike's 1 inch M1907 sling that I picked up 15 years ago. Should I use the M1907, or get a canvas sling?

The main reason I ask is that I've heard over the years that the Uncle Mike's M1907 slings were prone to stretching, so I never used it. Should I just get a canvas version, instead?

Thanks,

-John

as_rocketman
08-10-2011, 9:16 AM
You can use an M1907 at Appleseed, sure. I wouldn't worry about stretching.

Our demos are done with M1 GI slings because they're abundant and simple, and they work. But you can get a good loop sling going with an M1907 if you know how. We should be able to show you.

In practice I prefer the M1 GI sling to the M1907 -- except on my Garand. Not sure why, but that's how it is.

Eljay
08-10-2011, 5:04 PM
Rocketman's answer is correct of course, it should work fine.

That being said just to play Devil's Advocate a bit... if you think you might be happier with a GI sling in the long run you might as well get it now. They're $15ish. The Appleseed store has nice ones, the CMP has nice ones, Fulton Armory has nice ones. Get cotton - the nylon can be a bit slippery against some clothing. But if you're in a rush or don't want to spend the money, yeah, not a big deal, you'll be fine.