PDA

View Full Version : Which range should I try my off-list AK at?

juha_teuvonnen
01-14-2007, 7:55 PM
I have built an off-list AK with detachable 10 rd mag and no pistol grip whatsoever. It is alow 922(r) compliant - I have US made handguard, receiver, trigger group and muzzle brake (AK-74 style in 7.62). Even though my understanding of the law is that this is 100% legal configuration, I don't feel like spending a few hundred thoursand dollars to prove it at this time. Should I shoot it at the range (which one?), or should I drive down to BLM?

cornholio1
01-14-2007, 7:59 PM
I tried mine @ Inland Fish and Game. The Range master gave me the evil eye and asked me to show that the bolt locks open. Its okay to shoot there. Bring a wooden dowel or a plastic spacer to hold the bolt open. I forgot what they call it, and theres a link to it too

juha_teuvonnen
01-14-2007, 8:00 PM
I am in Northern California.

SmokinGun
01-14-2007, 8:06 PM
I have two with similar configuration...took them to Chabot a few weeks ago with no problem.

James R.
01-14-2007, 8:10 PM
I tried mine @ Inland Fish and Game. The Range master gave me the evil eye and asked me to show that the bolt locks open. Its okay to shoot there. Bring a wooden dowel or a plastic spacer to hold the bolt open. I forgot what they call it, and theres a link to it too

Usually called Chamber Flags as they usually have a brightly colored plastic flag. They also generally go part way down into the chamber so that it would be impossible for there to even be a round in the chamber.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=535054

Regards,

James R.

shinigami
01-14-2007, 8:10 PM
I shoot at Richmond Rod& Gun, and I saw some people shooting their AK's there, although that was a few months ago.

If you're near richmond give them a try.

Santa Cruz Armory
01-14-2007, 8:25 PM
I am in Northern California.

Where in Nor Cal? I belong to a private range and I can bring guests...I'm in Santa Cruz.

SmokinGun
01-14-2007, 8:28 PM
Good point about the chamber flag! I was required to keep the bold held open during cease fire at Chabot. I think most ranges have the open bolt requirement.

Santa Cruz Armory
01-14-2007, 8:42 PM
I think you can have a spent round sticking out of the action or you could use a wooden dowel.

PJA
01-15-2007, 1:11 AM
Chabot has orange dowels at the rangemaster's office for free.
Pete

M. Sage
01-15-2007, 6:51 PM
Chabot or Richmond. They don't really care what you're shooting, as long as it stays safe.

There are so many off-list guns at Chabot every weekend... I think they're the majority of what I see there.