PDA

View Full Version : loading a cali legal ak

ghost
01-14-2007, 8:29 PM
i saw a cali legal ak47 on the atlantic arms website.it said you load it from the rear,how would you do that anybody have any pics?i was considering buying one,what do you guys think?thanks.

PLINK
01-14-2007, 8:52 PM
I beleive the mag is welded in the receiver. There is a hole on the backside of the mag that allows you to insert the rounds. I believer there is a lever/ post that is connected to the follower that you push down the follower to get the rounds in.

I think the MonsterMan gripped CAAK is a better way to go.

I don't know about you guys but the evil feature fixed mag rifles are not as fun to shoot. If the bullet tip mag release gets DOJ approved then I will be all over it. Til then it will be evil featureless MonsterMan or U-15 builds for me. The fixed mag rifles I have don't get shot often.

fred40
01-14-2007, 8:55 PM
call them up. I forgot exactly what they told me, but i was not interested once they told me that the magazine was permanently attached to the receiver.

SmokinGun
01-14-2007, 9:23 PM
I have'nt seen the rear loading mag, but it sounds okay if it really works. I think the mags on the AK are a little cheesy to begin with...at least the crappy ones that I have. I would be a bit hesistant to have one welded in place.

If the bullet tip mag release gets DOJ approved then I will be all over it.

I saw a sketch for the AR bullet tip mag release...is there one out there for the AK? If the DOJ approves it, does that mean bullet tip mag and evil features?:D

the_natterjack
01-15-2007, 7:48 AM
i saw a cali legal ak47 on the atlantic arms website.it said you load it from the rear,how would you do that anybody have any pics?i was considering buying one,what do you guys think?thanks.

Wasn't there some talk about removing the buffer tube from an AK and putting some locktite in the gas port converting it from a semi to a straight pull bolt action rifle?

Instant legal rifle as AW rules only apply when it's semi auto.

So is this as easy to do as it sounds?

the_natterjack

JHC
01-15-2007, 8:47 AM
Somebody on this board owns one of these, I remember seeing a thread about it. Gonna have to dig it up and ask questions.

69Mach1
01-15-2007, 9:04 AM
The CA DOJ approved AK is overpriced. Not including this rifle, there are currently three ways you can load your own fixed magazine AK.

1. Remove the top cover and bolt to load directly into the magazine.
2. Remove the magazine base plate, spring and follower, and with the bolt closed and the rifle upside down, drop the rounds in and replace the follower,spring, and base plate.
3. Make your own magazine lever to drop rounds through the ejection port easier.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/FIVESIXTN/hkSONY617.jpg

SmokinGun
01-15-2007, 9:15 AM
How do you hold the bolt open when you load thru the ejection port?

69Mach1
01-15-2007, 9:33 AM
How do you hold the bolt open when you load thru the ejection port?

On all but two of my AK's, just pulling the bolt back will hang it up on the hammer, and it will stay there. With the ones that don't stay put, just pull the trigger while the bolt is pulled back, and the hammer falling will catch the bolt, also hanging it up.

Santa Cruz Armory
01-15-2007, 9:40 AM
Or just go evil featureless and use you pre bans :D

proraptor
01-15-2007, 10:27 AM
Just build one with no evil features and then you can use 10 round mags the way they were supposed to be used....

savageevo
01-16-2007, 8:26 AM
imagine loading from the ejection port and the bolt slips from the hammer when your finger is in place, thats going to hurt.:eek:

soopafly
01-16-2007, 9:47 AM
imagine loading from the ejection port and the bolt slips from the hammer when your finger is in place, thats going to hurt.:eek:
I call BS...California Assault Weapons Law is for our collective safety.

Sal
01-16-2007, 1:56 PM
Ive been thinking about how to do a hinged mag, since it was approved on the M82CA, its going to be hard for the DOJ to say no as long as it wont open far enough for another mag to be inserterted.

Here is my idea for the hinge, basically two pieces of sheet metal bent with holes, one is expoxied or welded to the magazine. The other is just a hinge part. then there is a bracket, it could probably also be sheet bent, but i figured one could go with a small rod with a hole, welded to the body, or make a bracket and screw it to the trunion.

The reason for the middle hinge part is so that you can still use the original magazine shelf, and it will pivot with enough range of motion to actually come off and go back on with ease, but it has to stay short enough that you cant get it open far enough to put another mag in.

Im going to be making a test setup like this on my "fixed" mag romak 3 to test out how well it will work.

Let me know what you guys think.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/Spikespigiel/akmaglock2.jpg