PDA

View Full Version : Want to build/aquire FAL

SC_Chewy
01-14-2007, 5:22 PM
So Im hooked. Now I want to build/aquire a FAL style rifle. Been doing a bit of research, coming across the enterprise co. as one of the options. Hitting up the combined experience of the calguns members on where to start. Is this a senario along the lines of the AR where you can get a receiver and throw on a dust cover that slides back and you top load, get a kit ect? Or are you stuck with getting a complete? Thanks in advance for any advice in advance......

cornholio1
01-14-2007, 5:28 PM
So Im hooked. Now I want to build/aquire a FAL style rifle. Been doing a bit of research, coming across the enterprise co. as one of the options. Hitting up the combined experience of the calguns members on where to start. Is this a senario along the lines of the AR where you can get a receiver and throw on a dust cover that slides back and you top load, get a kit ect? Or are you stuck with getting a complete? Thanks in advance for any advice in advance......

Its much more common to get it part by part. But no, its not as easy as building an AR. It requires IMO more work and skill. You'll need the right locking shoulder and buy a 10 round mag from DSA. You'll also need a maglock (someone on these forums sells em). The place in my mind to buy an ALMOST turnkey kit is gunpartsguy gunpartsguy.com or found on www.falfiles.com He has complete kits minus the receiver, locking shoulder (which he does not mention in his ad) and the magazine. You may be able to find a dealer that will you buy a DSA receiver (best FAL receiver) at $325(dealers cost). Do a serch for Larry Hirota that can assemble it for you. He charges about $80 bucks ($100 if he uses his own locking shoulder)

Enterprise are the bottom of the barrel receivers. Even their latest batch sucked according to Larry. He has zero problems with DSA.

NSR500
01-14-2007, 5:31 PM
The FAL Platform is as versatile as the AR15 with the value add of being able to support a "Top Load" configuration with fixed mag and stripper clips.
You can buy complete or build from kit.
Checkout Falfiles.com for more FAL info.

Mark_in_Pasadena
01-14-2007, 6:05 PM
Enterprise are the bottom of the barrel receivers. Even their latest batch sucked according to Larry. He has zero problems with DSA.

+1 on that, in fact my Imbel is over at Larry's right now, and the Enterprise upper receiver is creating feeding problems because the bolt is dragging on it....

Get an Imbel kit or something similar at www.gunthings.com, then get Larry to get you a DSA upper receiver, then he's parkerize it and make it all work...:D

blacklisted
01-14-2007, 6:09 PM
I'm in the process of building one on an Imbel kit. I ordered a DSA type 2 receiver 2-3 weeks ago (backordered).

I just built a sandblasting cabinet so that I may blast and parkerize the parts myself. I'll make a detailed post with a lot of pics when a few more pieces arrive.

ketec_owner
01-14-2007, 7:01 PM
+1 on the DSA receiver. Heat treated totally.

Mark_in_Pasadena
01-14-2007, 7:24 PM
Hey guys, Hold Your horses there... Enterprise stands behind there products and work with I believe a lifetime guarantee... I have recently been over there
and in my opinion the folks are very nice and responsive, paying due attention
and answering all my questions about quality etc. These guys are a California
based operation and that alone is worth some points in my book... and they offer "California legal" models built for those who want a completed rifle which
means you will not have to fit and try etc. I would not hestitate to give their
stuff a look, it might be just the ticket for you. just my .02

Well when I took my gun back to them to complain that it wouldn't load more than 5 rounds, and the front iron site was not aligned, they returned it several days later, and it still had the same problem... In my experience they over charge and their workmanship isn't that great... I don't mean to bash them, but just sharing my experience.... And know I'm having to pay Larry to fix their mistakes.....:mad:

cornholio1
01-14-2007, 7:33 PM
Well when I took my gun back to them to complain that it wouldn't load more than 5 rounds, and the front iron site was not aligned, they returned it several days later, and it still had the same problem... In my experience they over charge and their workmanship isn't that great... I don't mean to bash them, but just sharing my experience.... And know I'm having to pay Larry to fix their mistakes.....:mad:

Naughty Mark bought an Enterprise? :eek: :eek: :eek:

C.G.
01-14-2007, 7:41 PM

Some people have done OK with Entreprise, but unfortunately, many others had similar experience as you did. I had two Entreprise built STGs that shot and were assembled well, I sort of wish I hadn't sold them.

Mark_in_Pasadena
01-14-2007, 7:54 PM
Naughty Mark bought an Enterprise? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Well I wanted to spend my money with a local company... No big deal, I spoke with Larry on Saturday and he's "grinding" away at the problem... When I was doing my build Larry hadn't update his FFL with DSA at the time, and being the impatient bastard that I am, I made some bad decisions. Leason learned...

rocknut
01-14-2007, 10:10 PM
I have an enterprise l1a1 sporter that you might talk me out of. PM me if you are interested.

SC_Chewy
01-15-2007, 12:06 PM
I have an enterprise l1a1 sporter that you might talk me out of. PM me if you are interested.
Hey rocknut, not sure how PM works but hit me up @ SC_Chewy@hotmail.com if you get back here and let me know what ya thinkin. I see this has ignited a debate of sorts about enterprise. Appreciate the input, i am going to check out falfiles and soak in the info. Any other thoughts on other makes?

-hanko
01-15-2007, 1:33 PM
I see this has ignited a debate of sorts about enterprise. Appreciate the input, i am going to check out falfiles and soak in the info. Any other thoughts on other makes?
There's really no debate on e'prise, check the gunsmithing forum on the fal files. I would sooner buy e'prise receivers & build my own gun(s) than get a finished e'prise rifle. I've built 2, both took 'massaging'. Imbel, DCI, DSA, and current Century receivers go together with a lot less hassle.

-hanko

dfletcher
01-15-2007, 1:39 PM
I was in the same boat as you about a month ago - I've always wanted a FAL & didn't know whether to do the build or buy complete from DSA. I ended up getting a complete CA legal SA58 carbine from SJGE & am very happy with it.

I'm still in the learning stages, but here's what I look at as being some of the plus & minus of each:
1) The DSA is fairly expensive. It seems to me you can assemble a quality rifle from parts for a few hundred dollars less. The trade off is that with DSA you have only one company to deal with if there is a problem. If you go the parts route & things don't work, who do you hold accountable - the receiver manufacturer, the 'smith who assembled it, the mail order house that sent the trigger/stock group? Many parts, many potential problems to solve.
2) Time - I got my DSA in about 2 weeks from placing the order to having it "in hand". I take the approach of never rushing a good gunsmith, how long will it take for them to assemble your rifle, assuming everything goes right the 1st time?
3) Known quality - DSA has a very good reputation, is that the case with others who will supply the barrel, lower & upper parts?

There is one great advantage of going the parts route and that is the opportunity to really learn about the rifle. Because I wanted to be able to convert from CA legal to "legal everywhere else" when I'm out of state I learned a bit more about the FAL than some would, but not nearly so much as someone who went through the build process. So if really learning about the rifle has importance, the build would have value.

There's always a fix to a problem - if you get a kit having one guy do all the work would make sense.

Having bought the DSA complete and done my usual routine of taking things completely apart, I think I know the FALs better and next time around would feel more comfortable doing a build. Since I have the carbine, maybe a 21" heavy barrel type is in the future.

Mark_in_Pasadena
01-15-2007, 2:11 PM
Since I have the carbine, maybe a 21" heavy barrel type is in the future.

I've got a 21" heavy barrel, and just an FYI, when they say heavy barrel, they mean it...... The gun is very front heavy, I wouldn't want to try to run and gun with it...:(

But on the flip side, it is pretty damn accurate and because of the additional weight the recoil isn't bad at all.... :D

C.G.
01-15-2007, 2:16 PM
I was in the same boat as you about a month ago - I've always wanted a FAL & didn't know whether to do the build or buy complete from DSA. I ended up getting a complete CA legal SA58 carbine from SJGE & am very happy with it.

I'm still in the learning stages, but here's what I look at as being some of the plus & minus of each:
1) The DSA is fairly expensive. It seems to me you can assemble a quality rifle from parts for a few hundred dollars less. The trade off is that with DSA you have only one company to deal with if there is a problem. If you go the parts route & things don't work, who do you hold accountable - the receiver manufacturer, the 'smith who assembled it, the mail order house that sent the trigger/stock group? Many parts, many potential problems to solve.
2) Time - I got my DSA in about 2 weeks from placing the order to having it "in hand". I take the approach of never rushing a good gunsmith, how long will it take for them to assemble your rifle, assuming everything goes right the 1st time?
3) Known quality - DSA has a very good reputation, is that the case with others who will supply the barrel, lower & upper parts?

There is one great advantage of going the parts route and that is the opportunity to really learn about the rifle. Because I wanted to be able to convert from CA legal to "legal everywhere else" when I'm out of state I learned a bit more about the FAL than some would, but not nearly so much as someone who went through the build process. So if really learning about the rifle has importance, the build would have value.

There's always a fix to a problem - if you get a kit having one guy do all the work would make sense.

Having bought the DSA complete and done my usual routine of taking things completely apart, I think I know the FALs better and next time around would feel more comfortable doing a build. Since I have the carbine, maybe a 21" heavy barrel type is in the future.

Depends on what you mean by "quality." The days of cheap grade 1 STG kits are long gone; if you are lucky to find one it will set you back at least $400 + $325 for receiver (if you can get it for that), that is $725 and you haven't even started your build yet. Most kits out there right now are grade 3, which I don't consider quality.
Probably the cheapest route is to buy a good, used FAL.

bridgeport
01-15-2007, 3:14 PM
How do you guys rate the Imbel kits going around now?

C.G.
01-15-2007, 4:30 PM

Gunthings are out, Gunparts sells Fal Imbel front ends with new non chrome lines barrel for $399 (probably the best choice), Dan's is out, Akron's is out, Sportman's good to very good (their evaluation, I would not trust it based on some past evaluation of their wares) $379, TDW is out, FSE is out, DSA STG non matching number kits in very good condition $329 and I heard that Entreprise is out, but am not sure.

Spica
01-15-2007, 6:48 PM
As C.G. has stated, most Imbel kits are considered grade 3 and the most common vendors don't have any in stock. However, check the FALfiles marketplace, Imbel kits shows up from time to time and these are either Akron armory kits or Dan's kits. In my opinion the only difference is that Akron kits have more finish left on them. Both kits usually have good barrels ( minor or no pitting & sharp rifling ) and all the parts required. The furniture is usually banged-up, but then again furniture is the most common parts replaced to comply with the seven domestic parts requirement so that might not even be an issue.

A side note, when you finally get your hands on that rifle, Aussies, Port, Argies & SA milsurps are all gone. Nobody knows when or if any quality milsurp ammo will be available again. So feeding that rifle will cost you more.

jdberger
01-15-2007, 8:40 PM
I had two Entreprise built STGs that shot and were assembled well, I sort of wish I hadn't sold them.

I'm glad you did!

C.G.
01-15-2007, 8:50 PM
I'm glad you did!

At least one of them went to a good home!:)

jdberger
01-15-2007, 9:40 PM
At least one of them went to a good home!:)
every time I open my safe, it thanks me for all of it's adopted brothers and sisters. But now it's asking for for "a REAL" brother.

Looks like I'm gonna have to call up DSA.........

m24armorer
01-15-2007, 9:51 PM
The real thing is hard to find. Belgian parts
kits have dried up and the German G1 kits havent been around in a long time.

C.G.
01-16-2007, 1:29 AM
The real thing is hard to find. Belgian parts
kits have dried up and the German G1 kits havent been around in a long time.

Exactly what I was saying.