View Full Version : Receiver coming in soon.

01-14-2007, 1:02 AM
Thanks all, i got a GSE lower. Building my dream varmint gun soon... Cant wait.

So let me get this straight once the reciever comes in i cannot legally build the rifel until i submit paperwork to DOJ?

And to be on the safe side I have to make sure it is a fixed 10 rd. mag, no pistol grip, and at least 30" in over all length and try to licencse it as an assault weapon?

Any comments or advice welcome.

Thanks all

01-14-2007, 2:01 AM
1) When the lower comes in, your FFL will DROS it for you. And once the 10days is over, feel free to build it anyway(legal way) you want.
2) Legal way = one of the following
i)Fixed 10rd mag with all the evil stuff
ii)Detachable mag with no evil stuff
3)Has to be 30" or longer
4)You can try to reg it as assault weapon if and only if you are LE/Mil.

01-14-2007, 6:46 AM
If you are going to use this rifle for high round count varmints like prarie dogs then I would recommend the gripless build. This way you can run detachable mags. If you are out of the state you can install a pistol grip and take it off when you enter the PRK. I have both a fixed mag set up and a gripless set up. I much prefer the gripless with a MM grip.

01-14-2007, 7:38 AM
1) When the lower comes in, your FFL will DROS it for you. And once the 10days is over, feel free to build it anyway(legal way) you want.

The dealer you purchased it from will ship it to your local FFL. He will process the DROS (Dealers Record of Sale) with you to start the 10 day waiting period. When the 10 days are over, if you check out ok, then you pick up the lower from the FFL, and NO MORE DOJ PAPAERWORK REQUIRED. The lower is not "Registered" in any way during the DROS process - it is sold the same as any longgun - no model, serial number, or any identifying info on the firearm is submitted to DOJ, or anyone.

Once you have it, build it in any configuration you want that keeps it within the law as a NON Assault Weapon. Since it is not an Assault Weapon, it is still like any other long gun - no DOJ paperwork required, or wanted! Don't contact the DOJ and attempt to register it as an Assault Weapon, it isn't one if you did it correctly, and if you didn't build it correctly, the DOJ is the last one on this planet you want to know that. If you have any question about something's legality, keep coming back here. I would also recommend that once you're out there hunting with it that you check back here from time to time to see if there have been any changes in the laws. The DOJ keeps rumbling about changes, but doesn't seem to have a clue what to do at this point. At least AB2728 means you won't have to register it as an assault rifle in the future (without legislation), because they can no longer add it to the list.

Enjoy your new rifle, and happy hunting.

01-15-2007, 4:27 PM
Thank you all for the info. I really like the new MM grip and will want one asap. As for fixed or detachable im not sure yet... but 10 rd detachable seems the way to go!