PDA

View Full Version : Dumping at Colfax BLM shooting range: Clean-up this Sat 1/20

paradox
01-05-2007, 6:29 PM
Update: There will be a cleanup this Saturday, 1/20/2007, starting at 10am

CBS13 out of Sacramento has been running a story on illegal dumping at the BLM range near Colfax. BLM says they may have to close it down if the trash pile continues. The spot ends asking for help cleaning it up.

Overall it was a very pro-gun piece showing an old couple and a father-son couple as the face of the shooting public.

We should organize a CalGuns cleanup day. We could easily get great media coverage from both CBS13 as well as CW31 in the politically important California market. We need to move quickly on this because reporters have the attention span of a gnat on coke.

Iím willing to road trip north. Anyone else want to volunteer? For best effects we should be willing to go live on ďGood Day SacramentoĒ which would equate to meeting at dawn. If weíre lucky, we will be able to do a pre-recorded spot like the recent Mustang Range segment.

MadMex
01-05-2007, 6:45 PM
Paradox,

Assuming Iím available, count me in for a cleanup day at Colfax.

1919A4
01-05-2007, 6:59 PM
Hi there,
You should put a copy of this in the outdoor section!!!.

placergold1
01-05-2007, 7:17 PM
I'd like to help. I have a flyer from one of the past cleanup days with a phone number for the past organizer. He might have tips to organize such an effort.

Pthfndr
01-05-2007, 7:22 PM
Here's a map from an old PLINK clean up trip to there from a few years ago.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/Pthfndr/colfaxcleanupapril122003-1.jpg

762cavalier
01-05-2007, 8:53 PM
Paradox- Thanks for posting this. I saw the news story at work and planned on coming home and posting it and trying to plan a cleanup day. I am in I have never shot at the colfax range but I live in south sac and am willing to commute. I agree that it should be done really soon. How do we contact BLM to set up a cleanup date.

Wulf
01-05-2007, 9:31 PM
I've participated in a couple of clean-up's up there. There's a contractor that BLM hires to come out and clean the place up and haul off the trash. One time I happend to be out there when they were working and just pitched in. Another time someone had posted a flyer and I came out for that. At that second one there was a guy that was collecting email info to set up a list to aid in the clean ups but I've never heard from him.

I have mixed feeling about having the map Pathfinder posted available. The area is very small, and has serrious safety issues that arise when the place is over used....that's over and above trash issue. I really dont want this place to turn into spenceville.

I think what we really need with this range is a couple of people that would hold an email list that could coordinate with BLM and muster the troops for clean-ups. I think more publicity would not necessarily be a good thing in terms of the long term usability and availability of the range.

paradox
01-06-2007, 6:29 AM
I think more publicity would not necessarily be a good thing in terms of the long term usability and availability of the range.

Perhaps, perhaps not. The publicity is already there, if we take advantage of the opening and get on air showing us gun owners care and are willing to get our hands dirty doing the right thing it would be good propaganda for our side. Remember, this is the Sacramento TV market and the legislature is in session. It would be a cheap way to get a pro-gunowner message out. Plus I hate seeing our beautiful California outdoors look like the slums of Mexico.

That's just my opinion though.

I'll try calling BLM monday and see what can be worked out. Does anyone know Bill whose number was in the flyer?

1SGMAT
01-06-2007, 8:32 AM
I have not shot there in months but am willing to clean up. I always take more out with me than I bring in when I do go.

Wulf
01-06-2007, 11:50 AM
It seems like the hard part is really not getting the bodies to do the pickup, its the hauling and disposal. The last time we did it the BLM's contractor brought out two big double axel trailers and a couple of guys. The dozzen or more volunteers that showed up helped them load it. But without the trailers it would have been an impossible task. I dont know whether simply getting the volunteers out is enough to satisfy the BLM if they're still picking up the hauling and disposal tab.

I know at a smilar BLM range up near truckee, they changed it to a key access range. Basically you went to the BLM and paid a fee for a key to the range. That cut down substantially on the midnight dumping and gave the BLM some sort of cash flow to off set the dumping fees. I think that may be a viable option in this case. My impression is is that a fair portion of the stuff dumped out there is not dumped by shooters but by people trying to save 20 bucks by getting rid of their crap at the transfer station. Perhaps the best bet is to go to the key access situation and then put a dumpster out there so that the stuff shooters do generate could be thrown away properly.

MadMex
01-13-2007, 6:56 PM
Where did this land?

placergold1
01-13-2007, 7:23 PM
I shot there Friday, and a nice gentelman who belongs to the ElDorado shooting club removed some of the trash. We helped him load some of the shot up electronics into his truck bed. Unfortunately, the volume of junk was so large that we only made a dent in whole pile. I wish I had a truck myself to help properly dispose of this crap that idiots dump at the range. :confused: For those of us who use the range we should arrange occasional days to clean the site, and also take up collections to cover the disposal costs. Considering the fees people routinely pay at the privately owned ranges, this cost should be minimal to help ensure the Colfax range remains viable.

Scarecrow Repair
01-13-2007, 11:05 PM
Dumpsters are pretty cheap. Maybe we should rent one for a day? I live near enough to help but have closer places to shoot, like my deck :-) I can probably be available Th-Su if someone sets up a date. I've never even been there. Maybe I ought to go by once in a while and pick up a load, tho I don't know where I'd take it ... dumpster would probably be the cheapest option. Maybe rent one for a week and people could swing by instead of trying to figure out a single date for everybody to get together.

Kestryll
01-14-2007, 12:52 AM
I've copied this from the General Guns forum and am stickying both versions.
This is a great idea even without any media attention, something the shooting community can do for itself and our State.
However if they show it can't hurt the image of shooters to be seen as we really are instead of as the media normally portrays us! ;)

hoffmang
01-14-2007, 1:46 AM
Depending on when it is, I'm happy to show up with a high HP tow vehicle, a uhaul open trailer, and an open wallet to take junk to the nearest junkyard that will let me in.

I need some warning as this is a 2.5 hour drive. Scarecrow can buy popcorn.

-Gene

PLINK
01-14-2007, 1:48 AM
When is this clean up happening. I am in to help clean up but I don't have a truck.

ecmckean
01-14-2007, 5:32 AM
This is the first i've even heard of this BLM public shooting area.

When is this cleanup happening? Is there an effort to organize a date?

paradox
01-14-2007, 6:25 AM
All I got was a voice-mail box at BLM. My phone-fu is weak. I'd like to actually arrange something with BLM or their trash contractor so we'd have a good way to get the crap out, but if that can't be arranged, we may have to do it ourselves....

Wulf
01-14-2007, 9:04 AM
I think the best bet as a first step is to form a small shooters group and get an email list going; I'm really not talking about anything more than a few of us here that are willing to trade email addresses and make an occasional mass emailing to the whole group as necessary. Then, have a couple of the people in the group make and maintain contact with whomever at BLM is looks after this particular piece of land. Tell them we've got a group of people that want to help with issues at the range. A couple of the people that are regulars up there could post signs as necessary to recruit people and provide notice of clean-up dates.

Taking home some trash with you when you go up to shoot is a great idea, but its spitting into the wind. When they do a clean up up there they generate a ton of stuff. Generally two, big double axel box trailers loaded heavy enough to get you in trouble with CHP. I cant imagine what the fees are for that when you show up at the dump station.

It might be an interesting expierment to put a dumpster out there, but I fear the local white trash would just fill it up more regularly and certian shooters would use it for target practice which would certianly piss of the disposal company....might be worth a try though. Just thinking about it though, the dumpster picking truck might have trouble getting in and out of the range area.

ecmckean
01-14-2007, 10:08 AM
Found this:

http://www.colfaxrecord.com/articles/2007/01/04/news/top_stories/02debris.txt

MadMex
01-14-2007, 10:12 AM
Admittedly, Iíve only heard of this location and have never been shooting there. Given that Iím roughly 10 miles away from it, I have a keen interest in keeping it open (would like to start using the place). Iím more than willing to be part of the ďsmall shooters groupĒ that maintains contact with the BLM.

Wulf
01-14-2007, 1:41 PM
Mex, we should get together there and shoot some time. I usually try to get out there mid-week, mid-day since it can be a little busy on the weekends and afternoons. PM me if something like that would work for you.

Scarecrow Repair
01-14-2007, 2:33 PM
Scarecrow can buy popcorn.
Eh?

What?!?

Am I being volunteered?

Whachew want, enough to fill the trailer?!?! Who's bringing the microwave?

Scarecrow Repair
01-14-2007, 2:43 PM
I called friends who have friends nearby; none of them have backhoes or tractors we could borrow. But Hills Flat has Kubotas for rent, and a loader would make it soooo much easier. I can pay for that, but my truck is just a half ton and they won't let me drive it away. If someone has a 3/4 or one ton and can pick it up, I will ride along to sign forms and pay for it. I reckon it might be best to have a few days reservation, but maybe not during the winter, and of course there's weather to derail plans.

762cavalier
01-14-2007, 2:49 PM
Wulf- I would be game for a midweek get together there also. I have wednesdays off. Also still game to go help with a clean up on a weekend but don't have a truck just myself and a willing son to do grunt work:D

Scarecrow Repair
01-14-2007, 2:50 PM
I just read the Colfax Record article. Is the electronic waste going to be a problem? Claims it is a hazardous waste, environmental hazard, etc. I wonder ... if we shovel everything together into one dumpster or trailer, will that create problems trying to dump it legally?

MadMex
01-14-2007, 5:12 PM
I just read the Colfax Record article. Is the electronic waste going to be a problem? Claims it is a hazardous waste, environmental hazard, etc. I wonder ... if we shovel everything together into one dumpster or trailer, will that create problems trying to dump it legally?
Great questions. All the more reason to have it as a BLM sanctioned event.

MadMex
01-14-2007, 5:18 PM
Mex, we should get together there and shoot some time. I usually try to get out there mid-week, mid-day since it can be a little busy on the weekends and afternoons. PM me if something like that would work for you.
That would be great. I have a flexible schedule. T&Th work best, however I can make M&W work most of the time. Iím usually locked up on conference calls on most Fridays. Iíll send you a pm.

ecmckean
01-14-2007, 6:16 PM
Just to get a consensus..

How FAR are most of you from this place? Time or Milege

I live in Sacramento and have no clue how long/far Colfax really is. I've blinked and passed it i'm sure.

(and)

How busy is this place usually? Lotsa idiots with guns?

Wulf
01-14-2007, 7:15 PM
Just to get a consensus..

How FAR are most of you from this place? Time or Milege

I live in Sacramento and have no clue how long/far Colfax really is. I've blinked and passed it i'm sure.

(and)

How busy is this place usually? Lotsa idiots with guns?

Its actually pretty small. There's a berm about 25 yards off across most of it...one spot where there's a ravine that goes up to about 100 yards. A single ratty bench. You have to stop shooting whenever somebody arrives or leaves. Its a drive in and shoot from your trunk or tailgate. More than three groups of a couple people each starts to feel crowded.

kilword
01-14-2007, 8:05 PM
from sacramento its about 45 mintues in grassvalley just google map it

KEEP COLFAX ALIVE!!!
I love that place
always have cleaned up stuff their .last time there was alot, but wasn't unmanagable if a few people show up with maybe 3-5 trucks that would make a big dent. trailor would be awesome

1SGMAT
01-14-2007, 10:19 PM
Still up for it. Just shoot me a date.

01-15-2007, 10:02 AM
Was planning on heading up there this weekend but have a sick boy and got sidetracked. Will shoot for next weekend. Even if we can't get an organized trip, individuals with pick-ups can make a difference. I've just got a little pick-up but figured to get a little anyhow.

placergold1
01-15-2007, 1:02 PM
I'm very willing to help clean up, but my work schedule is pretty tight. I'm available weekends and every other Friday.

Since I live near Auburn, I'm very close and I go up there about every two weeks. I certainly agree that weekends can get crowded. Next time I go I'll try to remeber to take some pictures so everyone can see what kind of mess we are dealing with. As it was last Friday, a tractor would probably be overkill. The main pile of junk was about 10'X10' and about 2-3' high. There is a local waste transfer station in North Auburn just off Highway 49, and I believe they will take hazardous materials for a higher fee.

I will call to check on disposal fees. I would be happy to speak directly to the BLM office. Paradox, feel free to PM me with the contact info you have. I may also have a contact through a friend of a friend--I'll give that a try too.

Wulf
01-15-2007, 1:40 PM
There is a local waste transfer station in North Auburn just off Highway 49, and I believe they will take hazardous materials for a higher fee.

I will call to check on disposal fees. I would be happy to speak directly to the BLM office. Paradox, feel free to PM me with the contact info you have. I may also have a contact through a friend of a friend--I'll give that a try too.

If we can get a a group together that the BLM would "recognize" some how. I wonder if BLM would be amenible to some sort of deal where you could call ahead to BLM and get them to call in a "free dump" pass in your name at the transfer station. It would seem like a deal like that would be pretty abuse proof since the stuff you'd be bringing in would be shot full of holes ...not exactly the usual kind of household waste.

paradox
01-16-2007, 12:44 PM
Well, I finally got a human in charge of the situation at BLM. His name is John Scull, his e-mail address is jscull@ca.blm.gov

There will be a cleanup this Saturday, 1/20/2007, starting at 10am

BLM will have a transport there and a couple of people. Anything that won’t fit in the transport will be piled up then moved by BLM later in the week. He pleaded for all the help he could get, so mark your calendar.

John Scull also requested that any folks in the area who were interested in being notified about future clean-up dates e-mail him so he can put together a mailing list. He seemed despondent about the future of the range given the level of dumping and is very interested in any ideas that could keep things cleaned and open.

I’ll make the drive, will you? More importantly, what will you bring for the potluck ;)?

MadMex
01-16-2007, 1:43 PM
Very cool. Many thanks for taking the initiative to set this up. Iíll arrive shortly before 10:00. Any need for hand tools (shovels, rakes, etc., or wheelbarrow)?

Scarecrow Repair
01-16-2007, 1:56 PM
I stopped by this morning and guess who was there -- Bill, who supplied that picture in this topic. He's been shooting there 30 years, organized some previous cleanups, says the real problem is getting the crud out of there. He also signed up with Calguns yesterday (Monday the 15th) and will probably be on today, so I won't say more except Hi Bill!.

Also took a couple of pictures so you can see what we have. Not a lot of appliances to pick up, whether in pieces or whole. The ground looks like 100% covered in shotgun shells with brass for color.

Bring rakes and shovels, that what will do the trick. I may be able to talk a friend into bringing a small riding lawnmower-turned-into-plow for pushing the crud into handy piles.

Rakes and shovels. Rakes especially. Don't worry about using pickups to haul stuff out, there's too much. Bill said last cleanup collected 10,000 pounds of stuff in a big trailer.

EDIT to add It's cold in that little hollow. Be prepared.

Scarecrow Repair
01-16-2007, 1:58 PM
Very cool. Many thanks for taking the initiative to set this up. Iíll arrive shortly before 10:00. Any need for hand tools (shovels, rakes, etc., or wheelbarrow)?
Rakes! Shovels!

Wheelbarrows would be handy too.

Looks like you have done this before :-)

Wulf
01-16-2007, 4:45 PM
Dont forget leather gloves. Square tubbs are handy too for raking crap into so that it can get dumped over the side of the trailer.

elkhorn98
01-16-2007, 7:22 PM
Wow that looks a hell of a lot cleaner than the Cow Mountain range (BLM near Ukiah).

placergold1
01-16-2007, 7:32 PM
I'll be there, and will plan to bring a rake, shovel and wheelbarrow. As the pics show, there is not currently any particularly large items (oops, now I jinxed the whole plan, and some idiot will drop off large appliances). I look forward to meeting John from BLM. Perhaps if we have a good showing it will help to persuade him that there are many responsbile sportsmen who use and value the Colfax shoooting area.

The local CBS 13 story is dated 1/5/07, by reporter Rafer Weigel, and is still on their website at

http://cbs13.com/video/?id=15836@kovr.dayport.com

Perhaps we can persuade them to do a follw up story of either the cleanup day, or the results thereafter. I sent him the following email:
------------------------
Mr. Weigel,

I saw your article about dumping at the Colfax shooting area. As a local resident who has enjoyed the outdoor sporting opportunities presented by the Colfax range, I appreciated your efforts to bring attention to this local problem. Your story has mobilized efforts to clean up the range and try to address the dumping problem. I am wondering whether you would be interested in presenting a follow up article to the story. This Saturday, 1/20/07, at 10am, numerous sportsmen will coordinate with Bureau of Land Management staff to clean up the area. This story offers your station an opportunity to show the positive side of people respecting and improving our public lands in response to media attention to a local problem.

I'd be pleased to further discuss this story with you, and you may call me at my work at xxx-xxx-xxxx.
-----------------------------------

I also work for a local law enforcement agency, so perhaps I can interest local officers to participate in a cleanup, and a show of support for the shooting area.

See you Saturday:)

Scarecrow Repair
01-16-2007, 10:15 PM
Wow that looks a hell of a lot cleaner than the Cow Mountain range (BLM near Ukiah).
I know other semi-official sites like this that have more heavy appliances and stuff, but none of them match the ground covering -- it was quite impressive to me :-) But then, I don't know very many ...

1SGMAT
01-17-2007, 8:39 PM
hate to be the one to bow out but my wife just told me she commited me to something on that day. Normaly I would blow it off but I cant do it this time. So how can I make it up. Can I provide someone some potluck stuff on friday to take up there on Saturday. I have friday off and am thinking about going up and trying to do some early clean up. If everyone is cleaning and no one is going to be shooting, is beer OK? Again guys Im sorry, I was looking forward to meeting you all.

Wulf
01-17-2007, 9:03 PM
Well there's nobody there that'll tell you no about the beer, but at 10Am the canyon is well shaded and freezing cold. So dress warm. Dress warmer if you're drinking something cold.

paradox
01-18-2007, 6:56 AM
I saw the CBS13 spot last night where the dirt bikers cleaned up the spot. They looked like they did a through job, so our services might not be needed. Can a Calgunner near by check things out before saturday. Iíll call Jeff Scull later today and see what he knows.

I think BLM needs a web form where someone can enter their e-mail address, zip code and how far theyíre willing to drive then get automatic updates on clean-up dates. That way dirtbikers, shooters, horsemen, campers, fourwheelers, and hippies can all be on the same page and combine our efforts.

MadMex
01-18-2007, 7:24 AM
There's a good chance I can swing by later this a.m. Won't have access to a computer to report until later in the day.

Wulf
01-18-2007, 7:27 AM
I saw the CBS13 spot last night where the dirt bikers cleaned up the spot.

Dang...forgot to set the tivo and I cant find it on the Ch13 site.

MadMex
01-18-2007, 3:59 PM
I checked it out this a.m. Somebody used a piece of equipment with a push blade to create two moderate sized piles of garbage. There were no visible signs of any hand / rake work. While the site would look better if all the remaining spent casing and clay pigeon frags were picked up (the push blade likely buried / covered most spent casings), it would be a better use of everyoneís time if we waited until the site became trashed again.

Not sure how or who will pick up the two garbage piles? Maybe a smaller group can help the BLM out on this? A closed-end / top load dumpster would likely require 10 minutes worth of front end loader time. A side-load dumpster would require 3 to 4 people less than an hour to load by hand.

Scarecrow Repair
01-18-2007, 9:56 PM
I stopped by about 8:30, and that's what I saw by headlights. Whoever talked with the BLM guy should get in touch again and find out what he wants to do. Did the people who created those piles expect a dumpster or trailer to show up soon? I don't see any point in bringing rakes, it's not perfectly picked up but it's not littered and would not be worth raking. I'll swing by there Friday afternoon and see if anything has been done with the piles.

Scarecrow Repair
01-18-2007, 10:51 PM
They say the Saturday cleanup is still on and name the BLM guy, John Scully.

I know the body shop guy who organized the Wednesday cleanup, I'll see what he says Friday and post here.

As a repeat of the post above, here is the Colfax newspaper URL: http://www.colfaxrecord.com/articles/2007/01/18/news/top_stories/05clear.txt

paradox
01-19-2007, 8:18 AM
I checked it out this a.m. Somebody used a piece of equipment with a push blade to create two moderate sized piles of garbage. There were no visible signs of any hand / rake work. While the site would look better if all the remaining spent casing and clay pigeon frags were picked up (the push blade likely buried / covered most spent casings), it would be a better use of everyoneís time if we waited until the site became trashed again.

Not sure how or who will pick up the two garbage piles? Maybe a smaller group can help the BLM out on this? A closed-end / top load dumpster would likely require 10 minutes worth of front end loader time. A side-load dumpster would require 3 to 4 people less than an hour to load by hand.

I talked to John Scull yesterday. Heís still heading out on Saturday, so will probably have a transfer truck on hand. If itís just a couple of piles left, Iím not going to make the trip. Iíll drive a couple of hours to do some real cleanup, but not for 15min of shoveling.

When I was talking to John, I suggested that he get BLM to put a form on their website where interested persons could enter their e-mail address, zip code, and how far they are willing to travel and get automated notices of clean up dates and locations. BLM is short staff (Folsom district has a little over thirty people in charge of a couple hundred thousand acres), but there are many of us who enjoy our public lands who are willing to help out. We just need to know when and where. I also shot John an e-mail afterwards and added that in the interim, he should sign up for an account at CalGuns and post clean-up dates here. That would be really cheap for BLM ;)

MadMex
01-19-2007, 10:49 AM
They say the Saturday cleanup is still on and name the BLM guy, John Scully.

I know the body shop guy who organized the Wednesday cleanup, I'll see what he says Friday and post here.

As a repeat of the post above, here is the Colfax newspaper URL: http://www.colfaxrecord.com/articles/2007/01/18/news/top_stories/05clear.txt
I talked with Scull this a.m. His objective for Saturday a.m. is to clean up the remaining brass. Iíll be there.

Bring rakes, shovels, and wheelbarrows if you can.

Scarecrow Repair
01-19-2007, 10:56 AM
I stopped by about 10 am; sun on the trees, but not yet on the ground. But it wasn't nasty cold and tomorrow is forecast for about the same. I will probably start in long sleeve shirt and shed that pretty quick. But then, I liked to take naps in the 34F dairy fridge on the ship because I knew no one would go looking for me there :-) YMMV

The shotgun shell carpet that impressed me so much on my first visit is mostly gone. Raking may still do some good, but there are a lot of little .22 shells. Just for grins, I will bring an old push broom, but I am pessimistic.

The two piles will take more than 15 minutes to shovel into a trailer, but most of the hard work has been done and we will be out of there by noon if the trailer shows up at 10.

I talked briefly to two guys in town who were there for the Wednesday cleanup. They did mostly work on Carpenter Road itself and the road to the shooting field, got two dump truck loads out. They weren't there all day and didn't know why the piles were pushed into place, I guess just because the loader was there and it was an easy extra few minutes work. I thanked them, let them know there would be shooters out there Saturday to load the BLM trailer.

Wulf
01-19-2007, 1:39 PM
Yeah, I was out there too this AM. It looks like easy money. The dirt bikers did us a solid.

If you have a rake, bring it...preferably one of those big wide ones. One of those wide grain or snow shovels would be nice too. Should be a pretty short clean up so bring something to shoot afterwards....just not a bunch of garbage. ;)

placergold1
01-19-2007, 7:06 PM
I'll probably get there a little early, have to leave around noon, but I'll bring rake, shovel and wheelbarrow.

xenophobe
01-19-2007, 7:23 PM
Just because it might have already been "cleaned", doesn't mean that there isn't is a whole bunch of grooming that can be done. Make it look nicer than it ever has. That would be a good follow up story for the local news broadcast.

I wish I lived in the area. I'd go out with a rake and a shovel to help....

paradox
01-20-2007, 6:15 AM
I'll be there with a pair of flat-nose shovels, a grain shovel, a hard rake, and a landscaper's rake (and a couple of guns :) )

Scarecrow Repair
01-20-2007, 12:36 PM
34 people showed up, not sure if that counts the three BLM guys. They hauled off two pickup loads of TVs etc which require special dumping fees, the rest left for a dump truck and loader, I guess.

Colfax Record reporter and photog were there. The Wednesday writeup was good, I expect this one will be too.

BLM had a meeting about 11:30, I missed the first half of it from being on the opposite side of the hill from where I was raking. Some suggestions were cheap infrared cameras to copy license plates; if a truck goes in full and comes out empty ten minutes later, there's a $2000 fine. Of course you'd have to hide the cameras. The prices start at $200, so one or two fines would pay for them. Some people will complain of big brother, but maybe most will be satisfied when it starts catching dumpers.

John Scull says they are working on a mailing list and community meetings. He says ones they had for some other area were good, eight of them, 80% vote required on proposals, lots of community support.

Closing the road altogether is no good because CDF needs access for fires. He said it might be possible to have a locked gate with a key for CDF, police, etc, and sells keys to citizens for $25, do this once a year to make illegal copies expire. People would still dump, but not as many, and along the road where it is easier to clean up, not in the shooting area where you have to pick up pieces, especially important for hazardous wastes like TVs and computers which are fun to shoot :-)

But there are two entrances, and even though the other side is rough and rutted, people do come through, so you might need two gates or two sets of cameras.

Someone suggested monthly cleanups to keep on top of it.

A big sign would get shot, so one suggestion was to make them as cheap as possible, just xeroxed and laminated, buck a pop, replace them weekly. Another suggestion was put it over looking the freeway to make it less likely to be shot, but there are always drunken yahoos who won't notice or care. Maybe if it were combined with a public bulletin board for notices, for sale notes, etc, even the drunks would not shoot it.

The big turnout was very gratifying. I don't know how many were there because of Calguns. There were a few kids and I presume families.

Wulf
01-20-2007, 3:23 PM
Yeah, it was an amazing turnout. Easily three times as many volunteers as I've seen in the past. Nice group of people too. That's the think that's always impressed me about my fellow shooters is that they're the kind of people you'd be glad to have as nighbors.

The BLM guys were great too. Seems like they're glad to have people helping out there and willing to work with us to keep things operating well up there.

paradox
01-20-2007, 3:49 PM
It was an amazing turnout. There was even brushing done along the entrance road. If I'd known there would be that many people, I probably wouldn't have made the drive, which would've been a shame. It's been a good decade since I've driven 49 that far north. We really have some crown jewel roads in the California Highway system.

ETA: This was a time I wish I'd had a CalGuns T-shirt...

MadMex
01-21-2007, 6:52 AM
Big turnout. An impressive amount of work was accomplished. It was also great to meet some CalGunners.

kilword
01-22-2007, 8:31 PM
any pics of the clean up and the after pics?

Wulf
01-22-2007, 8:54 PM
There was a reporter out there and I'm sure they took some pictures but I havent seen a story on that yet. I dont think the Colfax Record is daily paper....maybe tomorow.

However it wont be as impressive looking as you might think. The volunteers raked the debris into piles that the BLM was going to come back for sometime mid week with a dump truck and loader.

kilword
01-22-2007, 9:32 PM
wonder if someone got the idea to take some dirt with some shovels and fill in where the road ends and the dirt starts that broken cement is a lil scary on the tires

Scarecrow Repair
01-22-2007, 11:02 PM
TI dont think the Colfax Record is daily paper....maybe tomorow.
Comes out every Thursday. At least it's dated Thursday.

Scarecrow Repair
01-22-2007, 11:05 PM
wonder if someone got the idea to take some dirt with some shovels and fill in where the road ends and the dirt starts that broken cement is a lil scary on the tires
One of the suggestion I heard was to get freeway grindings from Caltrans. I don't know exactly how it gets delivered, if you do it or if they do it maybe if you are close enough, but it works pretty well in low traffic places. My dirt road has some well applied, some not so well, but even the poor job is good enough. Oiling it helps, rolling helps too, but at the low speeds there, it;s probably good enough as is, just pack i down with traffic.

Don't know if they will follow up on that or not. If they have community sessions like they mentioned, that's a good idea to bring up.

Mael
02-10-2007, 11:06 AM
I was curious about this effort, so I managed to pull up the actual article from the Colfax Record. Only one picture posted.

http://www.colfaxrecord.com/articles/2007/01/25/news/top_stories/05clean.txt

Here's the text of the article:

50-plus worked BLM's clean-up

By: Kelly Arbor, Colfax Record Staff Writer
Wednesday, January 24, 2007 5:44 PM PST

http://www.colfaxrecord.com/content/articles/2007/01/25/news/top_stories/05clean.jpg
Michael kirby/colfax record Area resident Carlos Reyes and 50-plus volunteers cleaned up the unofficial shooting range Saturday at the end of Carpenter Road.

With cars and pick-ups lining the shoulders of Carpenter Road Saturday morning, onlookers might have wondered if they stumbled upon overflow parking for a rock concert.

In fact, the parked vehicles belonged to 50-plus volunteers who showed up with work gloves for the U.S. Bureau of Land Management's (BLM) clean-up of the litter-infested Colfax shooting area.

"This is amazing," said BLM Outdoor Recreation Planner Jeff Horn. "These are the good shooters. All these people care."

Horn estimates there have been 30 clean-ups in the 15 years that BLM has owned the property.

With dozens of volunteers crisscrossing the large open area, most of the trash was raked or picked up within an hour. "I never saw it looking so good," Horn said.

Besides being an eyesore, some of the spent targets were hazardous, said John Rapphahn, another BLM outdoor recreation planner. Electronic equipment has cadmium and lead that can contaminate groundwater, he explained. Fifteen computer monitors were removed, according to Rapphahn, and would be handled separately at the landfill. Horn said disposal fees might amount to a few hundred dollars.

"The Department of Interior's budget is not robust. We have trouble putting gas in our vehicles, much less taking hazardous waste to the dump," Horn said.

After the trucks were loaded, Horn talked to the volunteers and offered suggestions for rules that might be posted.

The shooting area was the victim of the "2 percent rule," Horn told the crowd. "That means 2 percent of the people screw it up for the rest of us."

Horn rejected the idea of bringing trash containers there. In other areas, household trash and old tires were placed in these containers, costing additional money to dispose of properly, he pointed out.

Regarding a suggestion to add a gate and lock the area at night. Horn agreed to look into that possibility, but added "opening and shutting it is pretty cumbersome."

Volunteers David and Cooki Vonasek of Colfax liked the idea of posted rules and a gate, possibly with a annual fee for a key. They said they bring their grandchildren to the area for target practice.

"Even the little 5-year-old girl shoots," Cooki Vonasek said.

BLM Community Planner John Scull said the federal agency will plan regular clean-ups in the area.

"I'd say it speaks highly of the people in Colfax that so many people showed up," Scull said.

rla_2000
02-11-2007, 12:04 AM
I wish I could find a place like this where I live!!! Does anyone know of one near Stockon??? (Public Land that can be used for Target Practice???)

Any info would be appreciated!

stevied
02-19-2007, 1:12 PM
One of the suggestion I heard was to get freeway grindings from Caltrans. I don't know exactly how it gets delivered, if you do it or if they do it maybe if you are close enough, but it works pretty well in low traffic places. My dirt road has some well applied, some not so well, but even the poor job is good enough. Oiling it helps, rolling helps too, but at the low speeds there, it;s probably good enough as is, just pack i down with traffic.

Don't know if they will follow up on that or not. If they have community sessions like they mentioned, that's a good idea to bring up.
I used to work for teichert and we did the i-80 paving by auburn/colfax. Too bad I didnt know last year because they would have delievered grindings for free. The smallest amount would be a double bottom dump though (about 70 tons) so I'm not sure is there is enough patching for that. Caltrans generally doesnt deal with the actual labor...but more oversee and manage paving projects. Call Teichert Heavy and Highway and ask them if they have any jobs in the area