PDA

View Full Version : M1A scop emount question

NorCal MedTac
01-13-2007, 7:21 PM
Has anyone put an aftermarket scope mount on their M1A? I want to know what the difference is between the Springfield ones that sell for 120 versus other ones that sell for half that.

ocabj
01-13-2007, 7:24 PM
Springfield Armory, Inc mount is garbage. Anything that costs less than it is garbage.

Get the Sadlak or ARMS.

http://sadlak.com/si_rifle_parts_sm.html

http://www.armsmounts.com/catalog.php?action=124&item_id=7

tygerpaw
01-13-2007, 7:31 PM
Definitely do not buy a Springfield. Get the ARMS-18, or Smith Enterprises, or Sadlak. The Smith allows the use of the irons with the scope mounted, which is nice, but it sits a little higher. The Arms is neat because it is lower, and when it is mounted, it looks more like it is part of the receiver. Stay away from aluminum junk.

Kiba
01-13-2007, 8:18 PM
Sadlak, Smith Enterprise, and the new Unertl are all good choices. ARMS is pretty good too although not quite up to par with the Sadlak and Smith offerings.

If you're spending less than $170 or so on the mount it will probably move around on you, and even then some out of spec receivers need some "help" even with the good mounts.

Steel is your friend here, you want the receiver body and scope mount to have close to the same thermal expansion rate so the scope zero doesn't drift around on you as the receiver heats/cools (and thus expands/contracts.)

I ran an ARMS #18 on my Fulton Peerless M1A for a little while then sold it and went with a Smith Enterprise (very nice) but in the end I decided to remove the scope and sold the Smith mount and decided to keep the Fulton irons-only. I have a new LRB M25 on the way that will be my M1A with optics.

damon1272
01-13-2007, 9:36 PM
If you're spending less than $170 or so on the mount it will probably move around on you, and even then some out of spec receivers need some "help" even with the good mounts.

Steel is your friend here, you want the receiver body and scope mount to have close to the same thermal expansion rate so the scope zero doesn't drift around on you as the receiver heats/cools (and thus expands/contracts.)

+1

adamsreeftank
01-13-2007, 9:55 PM
Mounting a scope on an M1A is a hit or miss thing.

The Springfield mount and the cheap mounts are worthless and will give you nothing but frustration.

The problem with using the higher end mounts is that every M1A is a bit different. Some are "in spec" and have wider grooves where the mount interfaces. The Arms mount is "in spec" and will work with these. Some are "out of spec" and have narrower grooves. The Arms mount will not seat tightly. The Smith enterprise mount has narrow grooves to allow for this. The Sadlak mount can be made to order depending on how you measure your receiver. Check out their website for more info.

How do I know this? I have two M1As. One has wide grooves and one has narrow grooves. I also have an Arms18 and a Smith mount. The Smith will fit on either, but fits better on one. The Arms only really works on the other one.

At this point, I took off both mounts and am using the irons.

colossians323
01-14-2007, 5:45 AM
Definitely do not buy a Springfield. Get the ARMS-18, or Smith Enterprises, or Sadlak. The Smith allows the use of the irons with the scope mounted, which is nice, but it sits a little higher. The Arms is neat because it is lower, and when it is mounted, it looks more like it is part of the receiver. Stay away from aluminum junk.

What does this mean?

I have a Sadlak aluminum mount, tested an approved by Warbird, and it functions fine for me as well.:eek:

Paul
01-14-2007, 6:41 AM

+1

Yet tens of thousands of people put steel mounts on their aluminum AR-15 receiver without issue.

Some mechanical engineer with the time did the calculations on the steel M1A and the aluminum mount - found that if you got the steel cherry red hot (figure 10,000 rounds give or take) that the sight might drift a inch or so at 100 yards. Of course most of us aren't shooting thousands of rounds through our M1A's an hour and still looking for accuracy.

xenophobe
01-14-2007, 12:30 PM
The Springfield mounts work decent ONLY when you use a brand new one and properly seat it on the receiver. Out of the dozens of M1A's with Springfield mounts that I've seen, only a couple of them were ever mounted correctly.

As far as everyone saying it's crap. Yes, the Springfield M1A mounts are crap.

At the very least, get an ARMs. I like the low profile mount personally better than the Smith Ent. mount.

Any high-end steel mount will work perfectly though.

EricCartmann
01-14-2007, 2:29 PM
I got a $30 scope mount and it works great :)

Bladewurk
01-14-2007, 5:43 PM
Go Sadlak,the engineering and design are second to none in my opinion.

Blue
01-14-2007, 6:12 PM
I've got a Springfield one if you want to borrow it.

01-14-2007, 7:42 PM
I have a Sadlak and it is the best in my opinion. It is rock solid. Don't even bother wasting your time or money on cheap mounts. Save your money and buy a solid mount.