View Full Version : Cow Mountain tomorrow!

01-13-2007, 6:17 PM
I'm headed up to Cow Mountain with my roommate tomorrow to shoot all day. Anyone else shoot up there? I imagine there might be a few folks there being a holiday weekend and all.

01-13-2007, 8:00 PM
wish I could, I may be going out to circle S ranch (Two Rock) on monday. You in Sonoma County as well?

01-13-2007, 11:57 PM
I wish I could go too. I haven't been in a few weeks now.

I think I'm going to go to Northbay Firearms tomorrow to break in my new kahr pm9. I still have yet to shoot at circle s, I need to check it out!

01-14-2007, 7:32 AM
Circle S used to be my favorite place to shoot. I am all for gun safety but they just have too many rules. I prefer to shoot outdoors at my own pace, and I like to shoot things other than paper(I do clean up my messes!). They are serious about shaggin brass and on top of that, you can use anything but 7 or 8 steel shot in the trap which makes for an expensive day! I shoot there when I think it won't be windy and I want to shoot paper, that's about it.
NB firearms used to be cool also. Their terrible selection and bad attitude have driven me away from there. I'll shoot there on occasion, when I don't want to make the 1.5 hr trip to the boonies. They never have any good ammo, they never have any accessories and they seem to always talk up Glocks and knock everything else. It's been a plethora of misinformation. I once asked about folding stocks for my Mossy 500. Two gentlemen(term used loosely) explained to me that folding stocks were illegal in CA and would make my 500 an assault weapon. I thought that only applied to autoloaders, but hey, I'm just a dumb 26 year old. they he told me that I can buy a top folder for it or pistol grip, but side folders, and copstoxx were all banned here. Yeah, ok dude.
I shop at Petaluma Reloading, yeah it's a little mom and pop shop but I go where I am treated well. I have no problem paying a little more to get better service. Sometimes they don't always have all the answers at Petaluma Reloading, but at least they are honest with me. If they had a range, I would have no reason to ever set foot in NB firearms.
Just my $.02
I have lived in sonoma county for a long time, at least for as long as a 26 year old can.

01-14-2007, 7:37 AM
Do you have a map of "cow mountain"?

01-14-2007, 7:51 AM
Do you have a map of "cow mountain"?
A couple of years ago I went on the BLM website (at that time it was http://www.ca.blm.gov/ukiah

They sent me a great brochure/map of both the North and South Cow Mountain area. It has the rifle range clearly marked. They have a lot of off road activity in the Souch Cow Mountain area, so they actually have a good brochure. The Publication # on the one I have is: BLM/CA/MA-93-009+8366. They sent some other area's topo map copies, deer hunting info, and recreation info that I asked for at the same time. I don't think they charged me for any of the stuff, even though they paid $1.95 in postage to mail it all.

01-14-2007, 8:58 AM
The BLM map is nice. and it was free. Just a note here about Sonoma area, have you posted on the northbay site about seeing if there are any others that would want to shoot with you? It is a new small site but has promise.

here is a link if you are interested.

01-14-2007, 10:19 AM
I shoot up there all the time, only on the Lake county side of the mountain. I grew up around there. It is a great place to shoot. I have taken my OLL AR and Ak up there many times with no problems.

01-15-2007, 7:19 AM
Headed out there again this morning. Yesterday was COLD, but hardly any wind and people didn't show up until noon. Maybe I'll be all alone there today.