PDA

View Full Version : WALTHER P22 ILLEGAL IN CA?

OCD_TRT
08-07-2011, 7:26 PM
I purchased my Walther P22 in Ohio 3 years ago and was recently relocated to California via USMC. Today I stumbled upon an article saying something about the threaded barrel makes it an assault weapon.
Does anyone have any information on this or a link?

Wonderwhippet
08-07-2011, 7:28 PM
Threaded barrels not allowed. Non threaded barrels are easily to find.

caoboy
08-07-2011, 7:30 PM
All true. You'll need to get a regular non threaded barrel or have the permanently attached I believe.

Parabellus
08-07-2011, 7:36 PM
There are Calegal versions called the P22 CA. Fixed barrel with a nut over the threads. They don't want you screwing a can on the end.
Check the roster for guns that can be purchase from dealer stock or from out of state. PPT FTF is generally okey for most other handguns.

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

M1A Rifleman
08-07-2011, 8:08 PM
Walther had a recall campaign several years ago for models sold in CA. I'd contact Walther and see what they can do for you as I am sure its a simple fix.

bwiese
08-07-2011, 8:14 PM
Immediately strip the gun down so threaded barrel is separate from gun.

('Constructive possession' for 12276.1PC-defined semiautomatic firearms doesn't apply.)

This allows you to not be in violation of having a prohibited gun.

The Walther P22CA is the CA-legal version. CA DOJ harrassed S&W back earlier this decade about this issue - even though DOJ had approved the P22 for sale. There was a forced recall for these guns to permanently attach a cover over the threaded portion of the barrel so it was no longer prohibited.

Contact S&W and tell them your issue. MAKE SURE YOU LET THEM KNOW THE GUN IS DISASSEMBLED AND YOU ARE LEGAL INSIDE CA, and that you would just like to have a legally useable gun.

rareair
08-07-2011, 9:54 PM
Owning a threaded pistol barrel = legal in Ca
threaded barrel installed on pistol = illegal

OCD_TRT
08-08-2011, 6:21 AM
Wow that's ridiculous...!!!!! Thank you all for the quick responses and great information. I will make a phone call today but in the meantime I will separate the barrel from the rest of the weapon.

glock_this
08-08-2011, 10:06 AM
Just bought a California complaint P22 this past week. Everyone has already explained how and what to do and how they are different. The CA compliant model has a different SKU as well.

CAP22003 as opposed to WAP22003

Arondos
08-08-2011, 12:39 PM
I have a P22 CA hadn't been living here long when I bought it. Had to do some reading to figure out why CA had to have its own "special" version. Because of once again you guessed it, clueless legislators who know nothing about firearms.

Vanilla Gorilla
08-08-2011, 12:47 PM

this^

c.j.
08-08-2011, 3:47 PM
I, too, was in California when they realized how dangerous P22's were...so overnight my P22 went from being a pleasant little California-approved pistol to an evil, deadly assault weapon. Walther/Smith & Wesson took care of it all, shipped it back, permanently attached the screw over the threads and sent it back. Now I moved and have my Californicated P22. But others have covered your best options.

When I MOVED to California, I sold my 'assault weapons' to a friend who agreed to hold them for me until I moved back out and could repurchase for the same price, so something along those lines might be another option.

ke6guj
08-08-2011, 3:52 PM
really, there are easily-found non-threaded barrels for a Walther P22?

hint, even the CA-legal Walther P22s have a threaded barrel underneath the barrel retainer nut. The nut is required to hold the the gun together.