PDA

View Full Version : Rossi Ranch Hand

dfletcher
08-07-2011, 4:51 PM
I put in an order at the SJGE for a Rossi lever action Ranch Hand - 12" bbl in 45 Colt. An obviously "just neat" kind of pistol to have and am wondering from those who have one how well does it work, do you shoot it one handed like a conventional pistol or some sort of two handed eye level style? Does the thing like lead or jacketed?

I was considering adding a lanyard loop to the "butt plate" and using a shoulder sling with forward tension to help with hold - anyone try this?

Any other info on the gun is appreciated.

ArkinDomino
08-07-2011, 4:53 PM
I'd love to try one of these out. The one time I saw it being used the guy did have a single point sling attached.

1JimMarch
08-07-2011, 6:18 PM
I was considering adding a lanyard loop to the "butt plate" and using a shoulder sling with forward tension to help with hold - anyone try this?

My guess is, that's the way to go.

The configuration of this critter is Cali-legal, but the model isn't on "the list". You'd have to get an out-of-state dealer to do a single-shot conversion. Fortunately this is laughably simple: unscrew the cap at the end of the mag tube and throw a wooden dowel rod in there. Any out-of-state shop that has a gunsmith around should be able to do the "conversion" for $50 or less.

dfletcher
08-07-2011, 7:28 PM
My guess is, that's the way to go.

The configuration of this critter is Cali-legal, but the model isn't on "the list". You'd have to get an out-of-state dealer to do a single-shot conversion. Fortunately this is laughably simple: unscrew the cap at the end of the mag tube and throw a wooden dowel rod in there. Any out-of-state shop that has a gunsmith around should be able to do the "conversion" for $50 or less.

San Jose Gun Exchange is doing the "getting into CA" work. I went to the store over the weekend just for the heck of it, they had one in stock but already sold and are getting in another 6 or so. I figured WTH and had them put me down for one.

Vanilla Gorilla
08-08-2011, 11:54 AM
what is the price on these i would love to pick one up

Bruce
08-08-2011, 12:14 PM
Are they "single-shotting" it for you since it's not on the "Safe" gun list?

IrishPirate
08-08-2011, 12:22 PM
what is the price on these i would love to pick one up

ditto!!

ns3v3n
08-08-2011, 1:58 PM
Price???

dfletcher
08-08-2011, 2:54 PM
Are they "single-shotting" it for you since it's not on the "Safe" gun list?

Yes, they are single shotting them - basically a dowel in the tube mag, I'm hoping the spring & plunger are somewhere to be found in the box.

They're charging $549.00 - I believe they said they have about a 10 total en route and in each caliber - 357, 44 Mag & 45 Colt.

1nsanity
08-08-2011, 3:22 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I've been wanting one in .357...

bwiese
08-08-2011, 3:29 PM
I put in an order at the SJGE for a Rossi lever action Ranch Hand - 12" bbl in 45 Colt. An obviously "just neat" kind of pistol to have and am wondering from those who have one how well does it work, do you shoot it one handed like a conventional pistol or some sort of two handed eye level style? Does the thing like lead or jacketed?

Any other info on the gun is appreciated.

How are you doing this thru SJGE vs. Roster status?

They're great guys, and I love old Mike etc. - but I don't think they do Roster exempt procedures.

This Rossi and other "Mare's leg" pistols are not Roster exempt as-is, and would need conversion to 12133PC Roster-exempt status to be DROSable to you. [Exception: if you were getting the gun from someone having it already via PPT or via consignment.]

ETA: Just saw posts above, glad they're doing this now. Great.

Do make sure that installation/removal of the dowel block to zero rounds requires a tool to install/remove it.
It's articulably NOT a single-shot pistol if it can just have the dowel just 'manually unloaded' and replaced with 5? 6? rounds.

Mr_Monkeywrench
08-08-2011, 11:03 PM
Dont get a sling. Get a drop leg leather holster. Coolest way to go.

nagorb
08-08-2011, 11:48 PM
Dont get a sling. Get a drop leg leather holster. Coolest way to go.

^ this:D