PDA

View Full Version : OLLL Question (off list lower lefty!)

smogcity
01-13-2007, 2:45 PM
Newbie here...Thanks to everyone for all the info on this site..You have inspired me to build a Cali legal AR

I called Gunrunners in Duarte and Paul (i think was his name) was very helpful and patient. He says they have a bunch of lowers coming in this week.

My question is I want to build a Stag left hander w/mmgrip and detachable mag. Can I order the stag complete lefty upper and then remove the flash hider? Can I buy a complete lower minus the grip or do i have to build the lower from scratch..

When i finish the build this is just a long gun like my Kel tec su16 right? Without a pistol grip and any Cal-evil features I can use without the special AW transpo laws correct?

Thanks for all the info and for clearing up these questions i'm unsure of!:confused:

I don't want to screw this up with a small mistake and turn from sport shooter to felon!:eek:

Smogcity

hoffmang
01-13-2007, 2:50 PM
You will likely have/want to build the lower from scratch. You can buy a stag upper and either reach out to Stag and order one with their brake instead or just remove the flash hider.

-Gene

tenpercentfirearms
01-15-2007, 8:30 AM
There are only three things that make an AR15 a lefty.

Complete Upper
Selector
Magazine Release

You can modify your Stag lefty uppers just as you can a righty. So you can remove the flash suppressor and put on a muzzle brake.

So just buy any lower receiver (Stag would be nice, but not necessary) and then order the parts you need to make a lefty. Let me know if you have other questions as I have built a few of these. guns@tenpercentfirearms.com

Paratus et Vigilans
01-15-2007, 11:31 AM
I've got four Stag lefty builds, all from Wes at TPF, all 100% Stag, and have each of them put together in a different way. One of them (my super-evil sniper setup with a free floating 20" barrel, Daniel Defense Rail, bipod, flip-up YHM BUIS front and rear, and a Leatherwood M600 ART scope) has a Mini Y-Comp muzzle brake on one end of it and a Magpul PRS stock on the other end, and when the new MM2 grips become available, I'll have the option of swithcing out the Hogue pistol grip, unscrewing the Prince50 maglock and dropping the mag at the range, for a change! The other three Stag builds are strictly evil featured and will stay maglocked at all times here in the PRK. When I take them to Vegas, they get to stretch their legs a bit, loosen up the maglocks, and digest their fare from the 30 round mags I keep at the ready over in the Silver State, where they look SOOOOO much cooler with a 30 round mag in them!

But enough of my daydreaming. . . switching out the flash hider for a muzzle brake on a Stag upper is a snap, but be smart and spring for (or fabricate) a good barrel block for your bench vise before you do the change out. Otherwise, you'll be looking at the scratches (you might put) on your barrel for years to come, and kicking yourself for not doing it the right way! :)

+1 on Gene's advice - start with a stripped lower, build it up right, then pop a Stag lefty upper on it and you're good to go!

Wes' prices on the Stag lefty uppers are better than Stag's prices, but I may have wiped out his stock of them, so you may be SOL on that account! :)

Good to have another lefty Stag shooter out there! Have fun, whichever way you decide to do it!

Fjold
01-15-2007, 1:12 PM
The lower one here is a lefty Stag upper with the flash hider replaced with a YHM muzzle break. It has a Sun Devil lower on it in this picture but I just installed it on a Stag lower that I built. When Monster Man comes out with the new grip, it goes detachable!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/LR.jpg