PDA

View Full Version : SIG 516

Remaxman
08-07-2011, 10:52 AM
Anyone have experience with the SIG 516?
How does it perform? Likes/dislikes? fit/finish? Warranty?

glock7
08-07-2011, 2:28 PM
Good ? I'm thinking of this myself. Inquiring minds want to know

NSR500
08-07-2011, 2:43 PM
It's a better deal than the Ruger 556, that's for sure.

Spearo
08-07-2011, 3:15 PM
Much of the SIG 516s design has been stolen from LWRC and Adams Arms.
So yes, it is a pretty good rifle. LOL

I do believe LWRC is currently suing SIG on design infringement of the bolt carrier and bolt.

cfusionpm
08-07-2011, 3:49 PM

Not if you count the no-frills SR-556E. I picked one of those up at Turners last week for $1099 ($1210 OTD after tax/dros). That's cheaper than I've ever seen the Sig. It doesnt come with irons or rails, but I can live without iron sights and you can add rails for cheap.

Remaxman
08-07-2011, 8:25 PM
Not if you count the no-frills SR-556E. I picked one of those up at Turners last week for $1099 ($1210 OTD after tax/dros). That's cheaper than I've ever seen the Sig. It doesnt come with irons or rails, but I can live without iron sights and you can add rails for cheap.

Buds has the SIG RM40016B Carbine on sale for $899.00. I thought that sounded like a great deal if the quality is as good as my SIG handguns?
Some features of the new M400 include:

Caliber 5.56 NATO*

Mag Capacity 30 rounds (aluminum AR-15 type)

Barrel Length 16.0 inches

Overall Lenght 32 3/8" - 35 5/8"

Weight (no mag) 7.0 lbs

M-4 style stock

M4 style hand guard

A-2 style pistol grip

Detachable Carry Handle

1:7 twist rate

0-600 meter removable sight assembly

Adjustable front sight

Chrome lined barrel

Chrome Bore

Phosphate Finish

cfusionpm
08-07-2011, 9:08 PM
^That's not a 516 though. 516 is a piston driven AR with a free float barrel, rails, etc. The M400 is a DI AR and serves as a more entry level gun. I'm sure either is fine, I'm just not personally a fan of DI guns because the bolt area gets all junked up a lot more and you have to really be on top of cleaning it.

http://sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/sig516-patrol.aspx

Compared to

http://sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/m400.aspx

bighead
08-07-2011, 9:34 PM
Mine should be out of jail mid week.Ill post some high res photos when I have time.

BigfootHunter
08-07-2011, 9:43 PM
I bought a 516 upper from Sig, received it and noticed the front rail setup didn't match up with the gas block (they were slightly askew). No biggie, loosened the quad rail and rotated it to match the front gas block. Now it doesn't match up with the upper rail - uh oh....

Put on my iron sights and sure enough had to use almost all of my windage adjustment to get things lined up. Not a happy camper, called Sig they sent a shipping label and it's currently with them. Hopefully it comes back without a rotated barrel. I don't thing the gasblock is actually on crooked, just rotated when the barrel was torqued down. Bummer of it was they don't use a standard barrel nut, so I wasn't able to try and remedy this myself. It is a smaller diameter than usual to clear the piston assembly.

That being said, as long as you can inspect it in person before buying, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If buying online (or an upper from Sig directly) make sure you tell them to check that aspect for you.

I can't wait to shoot mine once I receive it back. As a side note, if you have recently purchased a Sig firearm, they send you a 20% off discount once you register it on their site. I was able to use that on the upper, which makes them a MUCH BETTER value.

Here's a review on it from a member at sigforum (lots of pics):

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/3030024852

Ak707
08-08-2011, 3:20 PM
I've had mine for almost a year, about 2500 rounds thru it....no problems, nice fit n finish.

GM4spd
08-09-2011, 1:48 PM
Look it up on utube---very good demos there. Virtually indestructible,
better rifle then a Ruger no matter how much more it costs. I have a
SIG556 and it has been shot a lot and it never fails,although it is a little
heavier in the front end(no muzzle rise). Pete

CRTguns
08-09-2011, 5:56 PM
Much of the SIG 516s design has been stolen from LWRC and Adams Arms.
So yes, it is a pretty good rifle. LOL

I do believe LWRC is currently suing SIG on design infringement of the bolt carrier and bolt.

WRONG!!!

Sig's rifle does not rip off anyones design. If you get down to the details though, they are ALL ripoffs form the same original- so cool it with the accusations.

LWRC did not invent the bulge on the bolt carrier's tail. That's just common sense to solve the #2 problem facing piston guns- pitching of the bolt during cycling.

The Sig is a Beautiful gun - fit and finish are perfect. Milled top and bottom. the piston sys is innovative- whole thing comes out intact and together, much like the older Sig rifles. Take this from a guy who has owned al the rifles there are to own- and has the ability to make anything he wants... the Sig 516 is the only name brand off the shelf AR Id ever own.

FN300
08-09-2011, 8:38 PM
SIG 516 is a great rifle, very accurate, well made, nice finish and affordable compared to other high end piston AR's like HK MR556 and LWRC M6A3.
-My 2 cents.

armtactical
08-09-2011, 11:22 PM
Nice rifle. Over 2000 rounds trough it never had issue or misfire.

missiontrails
08-10-2011, 5:59 AM

Care to back that up? I owned the Ruger 14.5" version, the one with the BCG update. I could not get that thing to choke on ANY type of ammo, and you could dump a mag as fast as you could twitch the trigger..... it cycled so fast. Quality, fit and finish was great. I had my own Mega Billet lower that the SR-556c rode on.

bighead
08-10-2011, 12:10 PM
I just saw a pic of mine from ffl, no red dot but came with front and rear sights
I thought that was odd.

Spearo
08-10-2011, 1:37 PM
WRONG!!!

Sig's rifle does not rip off anyones design. If you get down to the details though, they are ALL ripoffs form the same original- so cool it with the accusations.

LWRC did not invent the bulge on the bolt carrier's tail. That's just common sense to solve the #2 problem facing piston guns- pitching of the bolt during cycling.

The Sig is a Beautiful gun - fit and finish are perfect. Milled top and bottom. the piston sys is innovative- whole thing comes out intact and together, much like the older Sig rifles. Take this from a guy who has owned al the rifles there are to own- and has the ability to make anything he wants... the Sig 516 is the only name brand off the shelf AR Id ever own.

Care to correct me then?

LWRC was the original innovator. When SIG released their 516 at the SHOT show, the rifle had an actual LWRC carrier and bolt in it! Later they made a carbon copy of the design and called it their own.

"Common sense"??? I don't care if something is common sense or not.... if someone thought of something first and applied it.... then you are thief of intellectual property taking their idea and calling it your own.

If there was no case here, then why would both LWRC and Adams Arms waste their time filing a suit against SIG?

Ak707
08-10-2011, 3:16 PM
who cares if they stole the design.....people need to get over it already.
Its an awesome rifle, everyone should be issued one at birth lmao

BigfootHunter
08-10-2011, 5:00 PM
FYI - SIG shipped the rifle back to me with a "new receiver". Put the irons on and only had to use a few clicks of windage, instead of all of them. Much happier now, only took 2 weeks. I wish they would notify you when they send it back though, almost missed it since they actuallyshipped it to the wrong house (one door over). Today was the 3rd attempt, I was able to meet the ups guy and sign for it. Lucky I called them today to check the status!

MrPlink
08-10-2011, 5:09 PM
everyone should be issued one at birth lmao

free SIG for virtue of being born?
Well I cant turn down that price, Im in!

CRTguns
08-10-2011, 5:29 PM
Care to correct me then?

LWRC was the original innovator. When SIG released their 516 at the SHOT show, the rifle had an actual LWRC carrier and bolt in it! Later they made a carbon copy of the design and called it their own.

"Common sense"??? I don't care if something is common sense or not.... if someone thought of something first and applied it.... then you are thief of intellectual property taking their idea and calling it your own.

If there was no case here, then why would both LWRC and Adams Arms waste their time filing a suit against SIG?

I clarify... the truth may be that LWRC is a little tweaked at this,
but the "WRONG" comes from my first hand knowledge and experince with many, many of these guns- LWRC and SIG. And my experince in gunsmithing andengineering and manufacturing.
The Sig is not a copy of the LWRC. I'm a fan of both. I love LWRC's stuff- lots of quality, good support and service. Very critically thought out. Sig- better pedigree maybe, and I like the design of the gun better. From a service standpoint, it's much easier to repair, refit, clean, etc...

They are VERY different.

The only similarity (excluding anything STONER designed) between the guns is the bulge on the bottom of the carrier... The piston is not remotely similar- the bolt is different, the way the op rod works is differnet... Adams Arms makes a drop in bcg with a piston, that uses a bulge on the bottom of the carrier- so what. How any body could claim that their AR rifle is being knocked off... geeze- have some dignity. They are all KNOCKOFFS.

As for "Common sense"... can't two individuals arrive at a similar conclusion to a problem? You and I have different lives, different backgrounds, but I'm sure that we do many things in our daily lives that are very very similar serving form and or function- there are not 6 million ways to tie your shoe. There are not 9 billion ways to apply trigger pressure... Not more than 1 or two ways to slow down your vehicle. Point being, that there are more WRONG answers that right ones to any given problem. It is the tendency of intellects to arrive at a similar conclusions.

All that said, My brother's shop can sell you an LWRC M6 for about $400 less than a Sig 516.

CRTguns
08-10-2011, 5:31 PM
Care to correct me then?

LWRC was the original innovator. ?

... Innovator of what exactly? NOTHING is an innovation on ANY of these rifles. It's ALL been done before. 30 plus years ago.

No innovation today in the AR world bro- just repackaged and spun to sell to the 18-32 demographic.

CRTguns
08-10-2011, 5:35 PM

You're assuming that ALL litigation stems from a noble and just basis, and that the court is really all about one party choosing the moral high ground.

It's about $$$. And finger pointing. That's America's legal system today. Bunch of whining and finger pointing sissys.

Google "false claims"

Speedpower
08-10-2011, 5:40 PM
:popcorn:

glock7
08-11-2011, 5:19 AM
actually it should be this...(fixed it)
Originally Posted by Ak707 View Post
everyone should be issued one at birth in this country with a valid social security no. and whose parents work hard and pay taxes and get no freebies. lmao
thank you and good day...:79:

nickyrr
09-24-2011, 6:17 PM
Isn't everyone born here gets a social security no.. regardless of the parents status or did that changed too? Anyways.. get the 516 its one hell of a rifle.

BigfootHunter
09-24-2011, 6:30 PM
Wow, necro-thread much? Go 516!!!