PDA

View Full Version : Ruger SR9c Trigger

mrkam
08-07-2011, 11:41 AM
I picked up my brand new SR9c last week, and I have taken a liking to the little gun. As I expected, the trigger wasn't fabulous. I decided to break it in a little with over a hundred dry-fires (with snap caps) as I heard that helps when it's right out of the box. It felt acceptable, but I was thinking about picking up one of those aftermarket "trigger bars" just to help smooth it out a little and maybe lighten the pull.

However, I felt like taking out the magazine disconnect today, since I don't really care for it, using this video for instruction. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvS-LhKLw2Q

After that, I dry fired it, and it felt quite a bit better than before, so I hooked the trigger up to an electronic scale. With the magazine disconnect, it fired at around 7 to 7.25 pounds (the scale would only flash it for a moment and it probably wasn't the most variable-free system, so I couldn't get super precise.) Without the magazine disconnect, I was surprised when it fired at around 6 pounds! Unfortunately, I didn't think to weigh the trigger pull when I first got it. I hadn't really seen that much discussion about removing the magazine disconnect when I researched the SR9, so I thought that might be interesting for any fellow SR9 owners on here if they wanted to try it and maybe lighten up their trigger pulls too.

UserM4
08-08-2011, 10:10 AM
Yeah, it's pretty well known that if you remove the mag disconnect, it lightens and even smooths out the trigger pull. Glad to hear that you found out early enough. It's obviously a mod done at your own discretion. I personally don't feel a need for the mag disconnect as most of my guns never had one in the first place.

morfeeis
08-08-2011, 12:36 PM
I just removed mine after reading your thread and i have to say the trigger is much better with the mag in after removing the disconnect, i must say though when dry firing with the mag out and a snap cap in the chamber i didn't always get a predictable braking point on the trigger. i even had a few pulls where i had the trigger (in my mind at least) pulled all the way back and it never broke, i would then release the trigger and repull and it would break.

update!
it got better, i just had to break in the newer pull, all is fine and much better now.

mrkam
08-08-2011, 2:30 PM
UserM4: Yeah, now that I've searched "SR9 magazine disconnect," it is pretty easy to find, but before I got it, I just never saw it in my searches of "Ruger SR9" so thought I could try to spread the word if others were unaware. I'm glad I found out early enough too. :D

morfeeis: Glad to help! I'm still thinking of getting one of those aftermarket trigger bars, and that might make the trigger smoother (I've heard reports of them not lightening the trigger, but greatly smoothing it.) I might update this thread later to include my thoughts and weight measurement with the trigger bar once I get it.

Cutest
08-08-2011, 4:22 PM
Does this void the warranty?

mrkam
08-08-2011, 4:34 PM
I heard some question that in the Ruger forums, and the guys on there thought that since it's just a piece that you take out (not modify or destroy,) and since you can pop it right back in again in less than a minute, it wouldn't. If you're really concerned about it, you could contact Ruger and ask them.

Also, the aftermarket trigger bar company (Ghost) assures that it won't void the warranty since you are just taking out the Ruger trigger bar and putting a different one in. Since that doesn't, I doubt taking the mag disconnect out does.

1JimMarch
08-08-2011, 5:44 PM
It doesn't void the warrantee.

The only issue is, if you ever send the gun in to Ruger, put the disconnector back in. If you don't, they'll install it at the factory again and they *might* bill you for it.

Ruger hates FrankenRugers. Mine is so heavily modded it can never visit the factory again, ever.

morfeeis
08-08-2011, 9:46 PM
It doesn't void the warrantee.

The only issue is, if you ever send the gun in to Ruger, put the disconnector back in. If you don't, they'll install it at the factory again and they *might* bill you for it.

Ruger hates FrankenRugers. Mine is so heavily modded it can never visit the factory again, ever.
what all have you done to your SR9, i'd love to see pics!

mrkam
08-08-2011, 10:05 PM
I was intrigued by the FrankenRuger too, haha. Mine isn't very modified yet. Maybe once I've got it how I like it I'll post pics, but perhaps they belong in the Ruger picture thread. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=346415 (which you incidentally started) You'll see mine on there eventually.

InGrAM
08-08-2011, 11:26 PM
I just removed mine after reading your thread and i have to say the trigger is much better with the mag in after removing the disconnect, i must say though when dry firing with the mag out and a snap cap in the chamber i didn't always get a predictable braking point on the trigger. i even had a few pulls where i had the trigger (in my mind at least) pulled all the way back and it never broke, i would then release the trigger and repull and it would break.

update!
it got better, i just had to break in the newer pull, all is fine and much better now.

This is EXACTLY what happened to my M&P when I removed my magazine disconnect safety and performed a trigger job on it. Weird. But I must say the trigger is MUCH better now that I have used it a bit. lol

mrkam
08-09-2011, 11:41 AM
This is EXACTLY what happened to my M&P when I removed my magazine disconnect safety and performed a trigger job on it. Weird. But I must say the trigger is MUCH better now that I have used it a bit. lol

Huh, weird, that didn't happened to me... I can't speak for the M&P, but maybe you forgot to insert a magazine to push the extractor back up?

morfeeis
08-09-2011, 1:21 PM
I was intrigued by the FrankenRuger too, haha. Mine isn't very modified yet. Maybe once I've got it how I like it I'll post pics, but perhaps they belong in the Ruger picture thread. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=346415 (which you incidentally started) You'll see mine on there eventually.

I use to have a link to that thread in my signature, i need to do a family photo of the family.

yeah, i was seconds away from putting it back in, i thought i had messed up but it's a much better trigger now. I should add that i have a post #331 SR9 with the half moon mag release and those triggers are said to have been improved by Ruger.

mrkam
08-10-2011, 12:26 PM
Hmm, what do you guys think about me getting a Ghost 3.5 Ultimate connector? I've heard some people say that it only lightens it a little, but changes the pull to a smoother, creepier pull. I'm pretty satisfied with my trigger now, but if I could make it lighter, it might be worth it.

Speedpower
08-10-2011, 1:40 PM
The trigger on my SR9c significantly smoothed out After shooting about 600 rounds through it.

redhemi
08-10-2011, 1:50 PM
I put the Ghost Ultimate in my SR40 and if it lighten the trigger its not much as for smoother so far just a little but I only ran 50 rounds through it maybe more is needed I'll find out as I shoot it more.

CarlozRossi
08-10-2011, 1:58 PM
I enjoy my SR9c the way it is. After about 1000 rounds it has really smoothed out. I'm thinking of getting the ghost trigger kit but we'll see.

mrkam
08-10-2011, 3:03 PM
Okay, mine probably just needs some range time.

morfeeis
08-10-2011, 5:36 PM
Okay, mine probably just needs some range time.
Cant wait to get mine over 200 rounds, although i can say even after 200 rounds i can get the slide lock to be a slide release with no problem. I can also report i'm more than happy with my trigger after removing the mag disconnect.