PDA

View Full Version : 9MM/38 Super

SDJim
08-06-2011, 9:56 PM
Once again having cash in hand allowed me to score a great deal . . .

I PPT'ed a Foster 1911 frame and slide in 9mm/38 . . . along with a fitted Caspian 1911 frame & slide from someone at work . . .

Anyway, I've always wanted a 1911 in 9mm so I was going to go that route with the Foster frame & slide. As we were finishing the DROS, I asked the FFL I was dealing with what he might suggest and he suggested I consider building it in 38 Super.

Doing some research, the 38 Super seems to be a more potent round than 9 . . . But at what increase in recoil?

This pistol will mostly see range use and casual shooting.

I'm already set up for reloading 9mm and 38 Super would at least be a different brass which would be almost impossible to recover at the range. I've been told the 38 Super is close to shooting a .40 S&W . . . And I'm not a huge fan of shooting .40 which is one of the reasons I don't shoot my 226 in .40 more.

As I'm building this pistol, I could always fit a 9mm & 38 Super barrel & bushing so I could switch back & forth if I wanted to . . .

Anything that would persuade me one way or another?

robcoe
08-06-2011, 10:32 PM
Actualy, in my experience you just need the barrel and barrel link to swap between .38 super and 9mm(I use an RIA GI model, so YMMV) and I would get both just for the fun of it.

.38 super out of a 1911 has only slightly more recoil than 9mm, and both of them are very soft shooting. The .38 super is definitly louder, but really there is not much recoil difference.

zfields
08-06-2011, 10:35 PM
Hope you reload, and enjoy paying a lot more for brass if you plan on shooting 38 super.

If you were a die hard competition shooter, and didnt want to mess with 9mm major, thats the only time I would see going to 38 super as a good idea.

ponderosa
08-06-2011, 10:40 PM
I like 38 super. My pop has a colt combat commander in 38 super, recoil is nothing much, and for a shorter barrel, it is pretty dang accurate. Yeah it is more costly for ammo, but I'd do it :) especially if you make another in 9, or have a 9 already.

USMC VET
08-06-2011, 10:49 PM
If you have the cash to get your brass bank up for 38 I'd say go for it.

InGrAM
08-07-2011, 1:41 PM
Do both.