PDA

View Full Version : My OLL accepts attachable mags

scewper
01-13-2007, 10:53 AM
I took two prince50s and one regular button and modified them so that my reveiver can attach magazines.. Using a rare tool (.223 round) I can remove magazines from the mag well. Fresh mags can be inserted no problem and can't be removed(not 100% yet.. if I bang on the receiver hard enough the mag drops, stiffer spring needed) by pressing the mag release button. So, how I put it together..

The base is half, well more like a third, of one of those prince50 buttons. I drilled out the threads on the base piece and the outer button so the mag catch can pass through. The nut which presses on the spring, screws on the mag catch. I trimmed down a regular button for the nut, into a rectangular shape, so it wont rotate and possibly loosen. The long set screw holds both the base and the outer buttons together. The small set screw keeps the longer one tight.

http://216.224.121.126/1.jpg
Just before installation into the receiver, it's upside down on an extra mag catch to make it easier.

http://216.224.121.126/2.jpg
http://216.224.121.126/3.jpg

I don't have a regular camera, so I used my phone.. If you can't really see what's going on since the resolution is awesome, I drew a little diagram in ms paint of how I put it together. It was pretty easy to cut/file down everything and I'm sure a lot of you on here could probably DIY, so I thought I'd share mine. It works really good, but not quite 100%, so I don't think I'll be using it at the range yet.. don't really want to be a test case for this attachable magazine idea.

Garrett

ohsmily
01-13-2007, 11:13 AM
EDIT: Got it.

ALSO, when you use this method, you MUST use a 10 round magazine.

Btw, if you didn't know, you can use a detachable magazine setup (any capacity you want) if you have no evil features on the rifle.

proraptor
01-13-2007, 11:14 AM
Thats awesome!

Hunter
01-13-2007, 11:21 AM
If you can INSERT a new magazine WITHOUT using a tool, you have likely created an assault weapon. You need to use a tool to both REMOVE AND INSERT in order to avoid the capacity to accept definition. So, you must use your .223 round (bullet tip) to both remove and insert the magazine in order to be legal (probably need a test case though)......

You may want to read this thread to get a better understanding of where he is coming from.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=45321

Prc329
01-13-2007, 12:38 PM
Very cool.

Heavy_Grinder
01-13-2007, 1:18 PM
explain to me in laymans terms what exactly you did there, cause an AR with a monsterman grip already gives you the option of having a detachable mag AR.

aklover_91
01-13-2007, 1:26 PM
he can still have evil features.

PLINK
01-13-2007, 1:28 PM
explain to me in laymans terms what exactly you did there, cause an AR with a monsterman grip already gives you the option of having a detachable mag AR.

Basically the law says you can not have a detachable mag (you have to use a tool) and the letter of the law does not say anything about having an attachable mag.

Someone posted this link above but here it is again. Very interesting stuff.

kap
01-13-2007, 1:47 PM
Sweet, I hope I still have the extra Prince50 hanging around.

Tzvia
01-13-2007, 1:59 PM
Oh gosh, that was my epiphany when I was at Home Depot not 1 hour ago. I thought:
1. Drill out center threads of standard mag release button.
2. Drill and tap two small holes through it (front to back like a prince 50 does) above and below the middle hole.
3. Cut the mag release in half (into a back and front half).
4. Cut down and tap threads lower on the mag catch.
5. Drop the lower half of cut mag button into the mag button hole.
6. Insert mag release.
7. Insert spring and screw in a small nut.
8. Put top half of mag button over the now installed and operational resessed mag release nut.
9. Screw in two setscrews, from the outer (cover) mag button and into the lower button part.

I had actually gone to Home depot to get some alu bar stock which I was going to shape into the upper and lower halves when using a mag release button popped into my mind. I already have setscrews, taps and drill bits since I make my own maglocks. (I'm a do it yourselfer). Gonna try making it tomorrow. So I just bought some more reinforced cutoff wheels for my Dremmel.

I don't know why I hadn't thought of using a mag button before today; I've been trying to figure out how to cover a recessed button so there would be just a small hole to actuate it through. The big difference I see from my idea to yours is in using two setscrews to join the outer and inner parts instead of one.

Just had another idea. You are having trouble with the mag falling out if you hit the receiver hard enough? Have you tried doubling up on the spring?

whatdyisit
01-13-2007, 2:02 PM
Looks nice. I think already doing some machining on it I would have started with regular buttons. Pince50's are a bit expensive for what they are. I am definitely looking forward to a test case to see the legality of this whole bullet-tip mag release.

Edit: Looks like Tzvia is on the same page as me.

Santa Cruz Armory
01-13-2007, 2:16 PM
Sweet, I hope I still have the extra Prince50 hanging around.

They are REALLY easy to make. A handfull of mag buttons from Midway and a drill bit (forgot the size) and a drill press and a 4-40 tap. Easy money. :D

scewper
01-13-2007, 2:22 PM
Oh gosh, that was my epiphany when I was at Home Depot not 1 hour ago. I thought:
1. Drill out center threads of standard mag release button.
2. Drill and tap two small holes through it (front to back like a prince 50 does) above and below the middle hole.
3. Cut the mag release in half (into a back and front half).
4. Cut down and tap threads lower on the mag catch.
5. Drop the lower half of cut mag button into the mag button hole.
6. Insert mag release.
7. Insert spring and screw in a small nut.
8. Put top half of mag button over the now installed and operational resessed mag release nut.
9. Screw in two setscrews, from the outer (cover) mag button and into the lower button part.

I had actually gone to Home depot to get some alu bar stock which I was going to shape into the upper and lower halves when using a mag release button popped into my mind. I already have setscrews, taps and drill bits since I make my own maglocks. (I'm a do it yourselfer). Gonna try making it tomorrow. So I just bought some more reinforced cutoff wheels for my Dremmel.

I don't know why I hadn't thought of using a mag button before today; I've been trying to figure out how to cover a recessed button so there would be just a small hole to actuate it through. The big difference I see from my idea to yours is in using two setscrews to join the outer and inner parts instead of one.

Just had another idea. You are having trouble with the mag falling out if you hit the receiver hard enough? Have you tried doubling up on the spring?

I'm not using the standard spring with it, mine is quite a bit weaker. I cut the standard one down a bit to get it to fit, however when I screw in the mag catch and the spring compresses all the way, there isn't enough room to screw it in far enough(far enough = nut on mag catch is flush with receiver). The spring I got at ACE Hardware is a bit thinner so it's smaller when compressed, but weaker. I'm going to try and file down the base piece and nut a bit more to get some more clearance, then use the regular spring.

hoffmang
01-13-2007, 2:26 PM
I thought about going this way, but especially with only one set screw I thought the result would be wobbly.

-Gene

Tzvia
01-13-2007, 2:43 PM
I thought about going this way, but especially with only one set screw I thought the result would be wobbly.

-Gene

Me too, that's why my brainfart invisioned two screws. Heck, I had to buy a bag of 20 from Mcmaster Carr so I guess I have a use for the 14 that I have left over. And I will use locktite to keep the nut and setscrews from spinning.

zippy
01-13-2007, 4:22 PM
So with this setup one has to use a "tool" (bullet) to detach a mag from the receiver. This would allow for the removal of the 10rd mag for loading.

Would a rifle with this setup be legal with no mag in the receiver?

Does this setup require a "tool" to attach a mag to the receiver to be legal?

hoffmang
01-13-2007, 4:54 PM
Zippy,

Usually people mention that you should use the search engine. However in this case, the link that answers your question is above in this thread:

-Gene

zippy
01-13-2007, 5:06 PM
Thanks for the link!

rocknut
01-14-2007, 4:15 PM
Thats funny, my mag release buttons from m1s are due tomorrow. I envisioned 2 screws also. What are the threads on the mag catch? What size set screw did you use?

Tzvia
01-14-2007, 5:27 PM
Ok, I spent the day fiddling down in the garage. Was hoping to make three but only made one. I hope no one sees this as a hijack here, but we are all working on the same page so I thought it best to add my experience here.

I tried making the 'attachable/not detachable' as I had posted earlier in this thread. One issue. Not much room in the mag button area. Getting two 2-56 setscrews in was tough because the spring was too wide. But in my box of parts I found a spring that just fits over the mag release. It was way to long so I cut it down.

http://home.earthlink.net/~zahava.s/images/attachable3.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~tzvia1/images/Rifles/attachable2.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~l.segal/images/ar15/attachable1.jpg

It works. With an alen key or similar long thin item, a good hard press pops out the mag. Yea!
-Edit- I did not have to thread the mag release down further, only cut the excess length down.

mr2.0
01-14-2007, 11:31 PM
Tzvia, how about a writeup of "How to" with all the specs and measurements so handy people can follow :D

Paradiddle
01-15-2007, 12:03 AM
As one poster stated if you run gripless, use a Monsterman or an oar stock you can detach/attach your mags using the standard mag release button.

Or did that change?

hoffmang
01-15-2007, 12:22 AM
Para,

You can run Monsterman or gripless still. That is an especially good strategy if you have large-capacity magazines as you CAN NOT use a magazine larger than 10 rounds with these sorts of locks.

-Gene

SunriseF150
01-15-2007, 9:35 AM
Nice creation.

Tzvia
01-15-2007, 8:27 PM
Tzvia, how about a writeup of "How to" with all the specs and measurements so handy people can follow :D

Specs? Measurements? This was true Tzvia fashion; it's called seat of the pants specs. :o Well, I took note of the bits I have to work with. A bench press. A big bench vise. A cordless Dremmel with lots of bits. A bag of 2-56 setscrews, about an inch long. Some 2-56 TIn coated taps and a few TIn 2-56 drill bits from my home made 'prince 50' style lock making stuff. Mag releases and mag buttons. A bunch of small nuts that happen to fit the mag release from my box of nuts.

I first drilled out the center hole of the mag release, just enough to remove the threads. I then drilled and tapped two 2-56 holes, top and bottom (get them as wide out as possible I later discovered would be a good idea for next time). Then I cut the button into a top and bottom, about 1/3 up from the bottom. Next time, I will do differently (will explain later).

Next, I test assembled the parts outside the receiver and discovered the standard spring is too wide, it gets in the way of one or the other of those small setscrews, so they dont line up and screw into the bottom half of the button. So I found a much narrower spring in my box of springs (hey, my dad worked 30 years at Lockheed Burbank and was into saving all manner of tools that he bought from the toolcrib and all left over nuts bolts whatever from home projects). A test fit with that spring showed it would not get in the way of the two setscrews. Another fit, inside the rifle showed I needed to cut about 1/4 inch from the mag release and I needed to thin the nut, both side to side and top to bottom as much as possible and still be wide enough to just hold the spring.

Now next time (if there is a next time), I will use two buttons and not cut either. What I will do, is ream the center holes out completly enough to remove the threads, then use a slightly wider bit (will have to see what kind of spring width and not too wide to mess up the two small setscrew holes) and drill out the button centers to about 1/4 of bottom (sorta like making two cups). I will have to fiddle with the nut, grinding it down so the top button will fit over it, then connect the two buttons with setscrews. Imagine two cups, one upsidedown on the other with the spring, mag release and nut inside.

hoffmang
01-15-2007, 9:27 PM
It is quite ironic to hear you fight on the bench the same issues I was fighting in CAD/CAM.

-Gene

Pablo
01-15-2007, 9:40 PM
tag for later...

gn3hz3ku1*
01-15-2007, 9:42 PM
make lots and sell to calguners!!! IE me!

Tzvia
01-16-2007, 6:35 PM
It is quite ironic to hear you fight on the bench the same issues I was fighting in CAD/CAM.

-Gene

Fight is right, you should see my hands LOL. Yea, my tetanus shots are up to date! And I broke some fingernails. Arrggg what we women put up with for our OLLs. I think I will buy pre made ones next time.