PDA

View Full Version : Leupold SX1 15-45X60 Spotting Scope

edlacy
08-06-2011, 4:30 PM
Anyone on here that has used a Leupold SX1 15-45X60 Spotting Scope?

How does it compare to others in the same price range? $350 with kit.

Also, comments on straight or angled eyepiece lens, which do you prefer, and why.
Thanks
Ed

biochembruin
08-08-2011, 9:16 AM
I'm also interested in this scope. Free bump for the OP.

OpticsPlanet
08-08-2011, 12:18 PM
I have had the oppurtunity to use a few models in the Ventana family, the 15-45x included. For the price they are a great choice. They came in and filled a void for a decent quality scope in that range. I compare them to the Legend HD's from Bushnell....and before you knock Bushnell from Leupold, compare them. The Ventana is nice, but one step higher would be the Legend HD with ED glass, a great feature. I have used both side by side, both nice, but the bushnell wins over.

As for straight to angled, angled is almost always better. For range shooting, people with different heights, seated position. Straight bodies still are more desireable for holding a heavier camera, better for balance.

Trevor B.

edlacy
08-08-2011, 12:32 PM
Thanks Trevor,

This is the kind of response I was looking for.:D
Probably answered some questions for biochembruin as well.
Will have to take another look at the Bushnell Legend HD.
Ed

biochembruin
08-08-2011, 3:04 PM
I have had the oppurtunity to use a few models in the Ventana family, the 15-45x included. For the price they are a great choice. They came in and filled a void for a decent quality scope in that range. I compare them to the Legend HD's from Bushnell....and before you knock Bushnell from Leupold, compare them. The Ventana is nice, but one step higher would be the Legend HD with ED glass, a great feature. I have used both side by side, both nice, but the bushnell wins over.

As for straight to angled, angled is almost always better. For range shooting, people with different heights, seated position. Straight bodies still are more desireable for holding a heavier camera, better for balance.

Trevor B.

Which do you feel is more rugged/water proof? Or are they about the same?