PDA

View Full Version : Off roster gun purchase

Endofcomment
08-06-2011, 2:47 PM
Ok before this thread is locked or deleted, I did read the wiki on Cali gun purchases. I have not searched so you can flog me for that.

I want to purchase a fusion firearms 1911 frame to build and I think I have a loop hole for the an off roster purchase just wanted a little clarification.

I live in cali, my brother is in the army and is stationed in Colorado, if he purchases the gun for me can he with his military ID PPT me the gun and avoid the off roster headache.

Thanks for all information in advance.

Saigon1965
08-06-2011, 2:53 PM
Intra-family transfer is only between father/mother to sons/daughters -

Oceanbob
08-06-2011, 2:57 PM
Your brother can't transfer an OFF Roster pistol to you unless:

1. He lives in California

2. He transfers it by PPT in person, face to face at your local FFL.

So, he can't send it over or drive in with it because he would need some California ID for that.

However, if you have a Mom, Dad, Son, Daughter, Grandma, Grandpa (up and down the ladder, not sideways like a brother) you can have your brother GIVE the weapon to one of them, (via Family exemption) and they could PPT it to you after the initial waiting period.

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ#What_is_an_INTRAFAMILY_TRANSFER.3F

Sounds like a fun Project.!..Keep us informed with photos if you pull it off.!

Bob

Endofcomment
08-06-2011, 2:59 PM
That was not my question an I realize that.

The wiki says out of state PPT's can be done only with a mil ID, so if my brother buys the gun and registers it to him will he be able to "sell" it to me through an FFL since he gas a mil ID?

dcbiii
08-06-2011, 3:00 PM
Pretty sure your brother would need to have a set of PCS orders to a station within California to be able to PPT the guns to you.

Endofcomment
08-06-2011, 3:00 PM
Ocean,

Father lives in Cali with me would that still work??

Oceanbob
08-06-2011, 3:04 PM
That was not my question an I realize that.

The wiki says out of state PPT's can be done only with a mil ID, so if my brother buys the gun and registers it to him will he be able to "sell" it to me through an FFL since he gas a mil ID?

No.

No brothers, uncles, cousins. Only vertical family members.

For instance lets assume your mom lives in Oklahoma. You brother buys the Frame in Colorado, sends it to Mom in Oklahoma. (has to be sent thru an FFL). Mom picks up the FRAME at her Tulsa FFL. She then sends it to your local FFL in California via 12078PC-Exempt from Roster. With a letter, copy of her DL and a short statement that says:

I want my Son Edward to have this .45 Auto Serial number 338204M
as a gift from me.

Signed Mom.

Exempt from the roster and no sales tax due.

Oceanbob
08-06-2011, 3:06 PM
Ocean,

Father lives in Cali with me would that still work??

Ok this will work. Your brother buys the FRAME as does the Family transfer to your Dad. (via the link I gave you)

After Dad gets the frame and waits the 10 days; He can then PPT it to you because PPTs are exempt from the Roster.

So we have two exemptions:

1. The interstate Interfamily Transfer from Son To Dad (your brother)

2. The PPT From Dad to You

Both exempt and legal.

Bob

Endofcomment
08-06-2011, 3:22 PM
Ok so it can be done just the fees would make it not feasible...

Wilson combat I guess it is. I think I will go with a fusion slide and parts though.

morrcarr67
08-06-2011, 4:07 PM
Ok before this thread is locked or deleted, I did read the wiki on Cali gun purchases. I have not searched so you can flog me for that.

I want to purchase a fusion firearms 1911 frame to build and I think I have a loop hole for the an off roster purchase just wanted a little clarification.

I live in cali, my brother is in the army and is stationed in Colorado, if he purchases the gun for me can he with his military ID PPT me the gun and avoid the off roster headache.

Thanks for all information in advance.

You did not mention where your brother calls "HOME".

I know you said he is "stationed" in CO but what is his "HOME" state?

If his "HOME" state is CA and he still has his CA ID then he could buy a gun in CO with his Mil ID and Mil Orders that have him stationed in CO.

He could than come "HOME" on leave and while visiting he could do a PPT to you.

Librarian
08-06-2011, 5:15 PM
Ok this will work. Your brother buys the FRAME as does the Family transfer to your Dad. (via the link I gave you)

After Dad gets the frame and waits the 10 days; He can then PPT it to you because PPTs are exempt from the Roster.

So we have two exemptions:

1. The interstate Interfamily Transfer from Son To Dad (your brother)

2. The PPT From Dad to You

Both exempt and legal.

Bob

If Dad is in CA with Endofcomment, CO-brother can do the intrafamilial interstate transfer to Dad through a CA-FFL - transfer fees, 10-day wait, etc.

Then, CA-Dad can do the intrafamilial transfer, with Endofcomment using the OPLAW form. PPT not needed inside CA with the right family relationship.

SMR510
08-06-2011, 7:34 PM
Ok so it can be done just the fees would make it not feasible...

Wilson combat I guess it is. I think I will go with a fusion slide and parts though.

It should only be $35 more expensive than if you could receive it directly from your brother.

Cyc Wid It
08-06-2011, 9:47 PM
If you're building that level of custom gun, I don't follow how <$100 of fees is going to make it not feasible.

wildhawker
08-06-2011, 9:48 PM
If you're building that level of custom gun, I don't follow how <$100 of fees is going to make it not feasible.

I'm tracking with this also.

Endofcomment
08-07-2011, 6:39 PM
Yeah I was trying to pinch every penny I can but I haven't been able to find a comparable frame to the fusion frame.

I know this is off subject but I am really liking the quality of the fusion parts, I ordered a plain carbon mainspring housing to play around with stippling on my rock island and this thing is built very well and you can tell it is machined from stock. I am attempting to include a picture of it stippled and installed.

http://tapatalk.com/mu/62ff25eb-3e9c-2a1a.jpg