PDA

View Full Version : 2 quick questions..

jwillua
08-06-2011, 12:18 PM
I glad this forum exists, i think you can help me.. 2 questions..

1) I just moved here from Alabama, and brought with me a few guns. One of which is a small Beretta Mod. 21A (.22), which i don't think is approved. I have met somebody who wants to purchase it, can he buy it and will he be able to register/get his permit in California??

2) Also, a friend i have in Alabama wants to sell me a Kel Tec P32, which is what i want, which is also not on the approved list ( i don't think). Will i be able to purchase this and get my California permit or is this illegal??

Thanks for the help guys...

jaymz
08-06-2011, 12:22 PM
1) yes
2) pretty sure no. Should have bought it before you became a CA resident.

Ubermcoupe
08-06-2011, 12:28 PM
I glad this forum exists, i think you can help me.. 2 questions..

1) I just moved here from Alabama, and brought with me a few guns. One of which is a small Beretta Mod. 21A (.22), which i don't think is approved. I have met somebody who wants to purchase it, can he buy it and will he be able to register/get his permit in California??
Perfectly Legal, must be sold via PPT (Private Party Transfer) @ a CA FFL

2) Also, a friend i have in Alabama wants to sell me a Kel Tec P32, which is what i want, which is also not on the approved list ( i don't think). Will i be able to purchase this and get my California permit or is this illegal??

This would have to done before you become/became a CA resident.

Forgive my question, but what do you mean 'permit'? are you referring to a CCW?

jwillua
08-06-2011, 12:28 PM
Well technically im not a resident here yet. Why do you say that, because it is coming from out of state??

jwillua
08-06-2011, 12:29 PM
Yes, CCW.

zfields
08-06-2011, 12:30 PM
You have to buy it while out of state.

Also, where are you moving to in CA? Pretty hard to get a CCW/CHL in most of CA.

jwillua
08-06-2011, 12:30 PM
So, if i had the gun before becoming a resident will they allow be to receive a CCW and will i be able to carry it? Thanks.

zfields
08-06-2011, 12:31 PM
yes.

*edit*
If you can get a CCW, yes.

jwillua
08-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Nor. Cal, alameda county

zfields
08-06-2011, 12:32 PM
Good luck : )

jwillua
08-06-2011, 12:33 PM
ha, thanks.. I didnt know it was so hard.. In the south you just pay a fee :)

zfields
08-06-2011, 12:35 PM
I just moved to TX, you actually have to take a class here!

jwillua
08-06-2011, 12:39 PM
now i gotta figure out how to get it shipped here.. that should be interesting

zfields
08-06-2011, 12:44 PM
you cant have it shipped here, you have to buy it out of state, with your original ID from out of CA.

jwillua
08-06-2011, 1:42 PM
Have you ever completed a process similar to this?? I'm just worried when he goes to register he will get in trouble? Maybe i'm over-thinking it. I do appreciate your help. Sounds like i need to take the cash and find a legal weapon or wait for the Kel-Tec to become legal..

jwillua
08-06-2011, 2:14 PM
From what i read i need to go a make this transaction through a FFL, correct? I cant simply sell it to him..

G-forceJunkie
08-06-2011, 2:29 PM
Its getting confusing here, see if I have it straight:

1. You are right now a California Resident. You brought a Beretta 21a with you. Yes, you can sell it to another California resident by doing a PPT at a FFL.

2. You are right now a California resident who wants to buy a Keltec P32 from your Alabama friend. No, he cannot sell it to you as it is not on the list. There are ways around this, but it is more difficult and costly.

3. You and your friend want a CCW in california. That has nothing to do with what guns you have or buy or if you had a CCW in another state. You need to see if your local LE issues them, do the paperwork, training, etc.

zfields
08-06-2011, 2:43 PM
You can sell it if you brought it in to CA, as a Face to face PPT only.

Your buddy can NOT ship you an off roster gun.

Getting your CCW, good luck, CA aint very friendly.

ALL firearms in CA must go through a FFL, with a few exceptions for C&R rifles.

jwillua
08-06-2011, 8:51 PM
perfect! You guys listen well.. nice job.. sounds like i'm gonna get my sell but not get my Kel Tec :( I wish they would update the list to accept them.. Thanks guys..

zfields
08-06-2011, 9:00 PM
Kel tec would have to submit them to be tested. CA doesnt go out and look for stuff to add : )