PDA

View Full Version : Rossi Barrel Replacement

im3wheeln
08-06-2011, 10:09 AM
Long time lurker here, through all my searches I've not found very little info on revolver barrel replacements. Does anyone still do this? I ask because I have an old (20+ years) Rossi 38 spl that I've somehow nicked the bore about 1/4 from the muzzle. I've been shooting it like this for years, probably 1000s of rounds, but now that I have the means I'd like to get it rebarreled if possible. I know some will say given the original cost of this gun (approx $130) it's not worth it, but this was my 1st handgun so it does hold some sentimental value. Any know if this is doable, as it are barrels for 20 year old Rossi's still available? Are there any gunsmiths local to SoCal that can do this?

golfrj
08-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Bolsa Gunsmithing in Westminster is a S&W warranty station so I would guess they could do a barrel change IF there are barrels available for that revolver, call em...

redcliff
08-06-2011, 10:25 AM
You might check http:/www.gunpartscorps.com to see if they have a replacement barrel for your model in the correct length/finish.

If you are able to get one it shouldn't be a difficult job for a competetent gunsmith to replace it.

loosewreck
08-06-2011, 10:30 AM
These guys specialize in old Rossis, if they can't do it they're the only ones who'll know who can. I found them after emailing several gunsmith shops about a 30 year old rifle of mine.

Hope this helps.

M&M Gunsmithing
204 S. Union Street
Alexandria , VA 22314
703-739-2150
http://www.mmgunsmithing.com/ (http://www.mmgunsmithing.com/)

JTROKS
08-06-2011, 11:14 AM
Is the nick deep in there? Is it really .25 of an inch from the muzzle? It might be cheaper if you take it to a gunsmith that can put a deep crown on it without decreasing the barrel length too much. Try to post a pic and someone here with the right crowning tools may be able to help.

im3wheeln
08-06-2011, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the quick replies guys, I was really surprised to have an answer this soon!

I did check out gunpartscorp.com and found a couple of barrels that would fit my gun, including a the 4" that that I wished I have purchase in the first place (mines a 3"). Unfortunately they were stainless and I have a blued gun. I'll keep checking back with them to see if a blued barrel turns up at some point.

Golfrj, Loosewreck, thanks for the tips on gunsmiths. I'll have to give them a call Monday to see if they can get barrels for an old Rossi and what it's going to cost to replace it. I won't mine spending a couple of bills to get it replaced, but won't bother if the cost it way out there.

JTROKS, yeah, I'm afraid it's pretty deep in the bore. It's going to be tough getting it to show up in a pic, it's just a little nick and it's deep enough to where I don't think a normal camera could pick it up. I'll give it a shot tomorrow and see how it turns out.

I'm probably making more out of this than necessary, it's only tiny little nick, but it's bugs every time I pull it out of safe so I think it's time to get her fixed.

Thanks again all for your responses.