PDA

View Full Version : M&P cuts my shirts

dzrtvet
08-06-2011, 10:01 AM
Is anyone else experiencing damage to their shirts when wearing the S&W MP with thumb safety?

Fate
08-06-2011, 1:24 PM
Further evidence that the M&P isn't supposed to have a manual safety.

zfields
08-06-2011, 1:28 PM

sorta like the XD 45 with manual safety, come depts require it.

Ksmash01
08-06-2011, 1:39 PM

Although the M&P's I own don't have the manual safety, I'd say that one with a manual safety isn't as good for CCW as on without.

I'd guess that's the main problem.

If you're wearing OWB, then hmmmmm.....file the sharp edges???

JanG
08-09-2011, 8:13 AM
or you can remove the thumb safety... anybody know if that could create legality problems?

Killawhale415
08-09-2011, 8:52 AM
or you can remove the thumb safety... anybody know if that could create legality problems?

No problem, you could remove the safeties off all your weapons if you so desire.

The only problem I can see is if its a dept. or agency gun, but thats a different story.

InGrAM
08-09-2011, 6:08 PM

Well, I have read a few times (in firearms magazines) about DA's trying to prosecute people for disconnecting the magazine disconnect safety in their legally owned pistols. But, I do not know what would happen for sure. I would say just to be safe, do not modify your carry firearm, just in case.

JanG
08-09-2011, 10:41 PM
Well, I have read a few times (in firearms magazines) about DA's trying to prosecute people for disconnecting the magazine disconnect safety in their legally owned pistols. But, I do not know what would happen for sure. I would say just to be safe, do not modify your carry firearm, just in case.

i've thought about doing it to my m&p45 but changed my mind in the event i do have to use it, the firearm is as safe as the manufacturer says it is. and besides, it helps place my thumb in a position that is familiar with my 1911 and i think it helps me control recoil too. of course i don't have a ccw, and if i do get one i might spring for the no thumb safety model.

Boltz
08-10-2011, 12:47 AM

I never understood exactly what you would get charged with for removing a mag disconnect. It's not like doing that turns a pistol into some kinda illegal cop-killing assault weapon. If you justifiably shoot someone, a mag disconnect has nothing to do with anything.

JanG
08-10-2011, 7:09 AM
i've read that some prosecutors try to rationalize that you are careless and vindictive for removing a safety feature on your weapon. and by removing safeties, you have been planning on using that weapon on another human being as soon as the opportunity arises.

Can't buy anything here
08-10-2011, 7:52 AM
Is anyone else experiencing damage to their shirts when wearing the S&W MP with thumb safety?

Just get a holster with a slide shield...:)

quickstop
08-10-2011, 7:58 AM
How about having the sharp edges removed and leave the safety, almost all production guns have these sharp edges, a gunsmith can make the gun like a well used bar of soap.

Ron-Solo
08-10-2011, 10:46 PM
i've read that some prosecutors try to rationalize that you are careless and vindictive for removing a safety feature on your weapon. and by removing safeties, you have been planning on using that weapon on another human being as soon as the opportunity arises.

I don't see that happening unless you claimed accidental discharge as a defense.

JanG
08-10-2011, 11:24 PM
the other thing is s&w makes m&p's without thumb safeties so removing your thumb safety should still be within the safety guidelines of the manufacturer.

Vanilla Gorilla
08-10-2011, 11:44 PM
I never understood exactly what you would get charged with for removing a mag disconnect. It's not like doing that turns a pistol into some kinda illegal cop-killing assault weapon. If you justifiably shoot someone, a mag disconnect has nothing to do with anything.

the prosecutor can try to paint you in a bad light by saying things like "he removed the safety from the gun to make it easier to kill people" or "he modified his gun in such a way that it would make it quicker to kill people" it is all about making you look like you were out looking to kill and the dude trying to mug you was just out for a walk i know removing safeties wont do anything you know this too but the jury is stupid and most of the time will think removing the safety from the gun makes the gun now unsafe

InGrAM
08-11-2011, 12:38 AM

+1 This is my impression from what I have read. I would not recommend modifying a firearm that might be used to kill or injure another person in a defensive situation.

But if you must tinker with either your HD gun or carry gun, modify your HD gun. Not your carry firearm.