PDA

View Full Version : On Duty CZ or FNP

SPGuy
08-05-2011, 9:48 PM
Hey guys after much deliberation and trying out guns I have narrowed the decision down to the CZ75B and FNP. Which Gun would you choose as a duty weapon and why? This will be for armored transport and vault work. I am certified to carry a 9mm and a .40 if that makes it any easier.

Please keep it to these two I know I will get suggestions of a glock which I HATE the feel of and don't like the feel of the trigger on the M&P. The XD was nice but don't want a striker and LOVE HK USP but don't have the money or desire to put it through any type of abuse like a daily carry would go through after spending that much money.

Thanks for your input
Brett

Bentot
08-06-2011, 5:45 AM
Easy answer: CZ75B in either caliber since it's all steel.

missiontrails
08-06-2011, 6:24 AM
Brett, I just sold my CZ P-01, and I have owned EVERY kind of handgun made over the past 20 years. The FNP has definitely in the running this time around, but what you see in the pic below was just too awesome. Fit in the hand, finish, and TRIGGER options. Plus it has a Tenifer type finish like the Glocks, and more "eye candy" appeal than my USP. I'm going to venture to say that it looks and feels higher quality than my USP.

P99 AS

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd451/dehlers1/90decabd.jpg

zfields
08-06-2011, 7:13 AM
CZ sp01 phantom

Bit lighter, and a rail for a light.

Freq18Hz
08-06-2011, 7:41 AM
If you like the HK usp, you may want to try a Sig. Unfortunately, Sig quality is very hit or miss. Fantastic design, but execution on that design is another story.

Honestly, the CZ-75b or 75b SP01 is an incredible weapon. Very accurate, and reliable. I find it to be even more accurate in .40 than in 9mm. The only thing I dislike is the small surface on the slide to provide purchase for your hand when racking the slide. But as a duty gun, you can keep it cocked and locked, and since it can also shoot double action when the hammer is decocked, you have second strike capability.

My only reservation is weight. You may want to take zfields excellent recommendation and go with the Phantom. It's significantly lighter, and therefore more appropriate for carry.

-Freq

gwl
08-06-2011, 7:46 AM
Brett,

Here are my two cents.

What type of handgun have you trained with and what would you feel more comfortable with carrying as a duty weapon? A handgun with a manual safety (CZ-75B) or a handgun with no decocker and no manual safety (FNP9 or FNP-40)?

The only reason why I say this is because a LEO friend of mine got into an officer involved shooting a few years ago. His duty weapon at the time had a safety and he was so stressed out he forgot to dis-engage the safety. He pulled the trigger a few times until he realized his handgun had not discharged any rounds. It was very scarey moment for him and he's lucky his partner was there to back him up.

My friend switched to a handgun with decocker after that incident.

pter
08-06-2011, 9:40 AM
I have both.
75B has a nice weight and very solid feel. I'm also more accurate with it, although slower with the standard rubber grips.
FNP9 is lighter and cheaper, but when you're holding/shooting it with a full mag, you don't really feel like it's cheaper. With the extra backstrap option, I feel I can get a better grip - and get back on target more quickly.

FNP comes with 3 mags vs 2 from CZ. CZ has more aftermarket support, but the FNP has a rail already if you're looking for that.

I think I would prefer to carry the FNP.

dllma70
08-06-2011, 9:51 AM
I own both, and I would say as a duty weapon, I'd carry the FNP. The weight of the CZ will wear down on you. The FNP is much faster to get back on target, and just as accurate (at least in my hands).

Carry the FNP.

SPGuy
08-06-2011, 10:46 AM
I heard about the phantom but I thought it wasn't on the approved list to be sold from a shop. I won't have the time to wait to find a good deal on a used one or make it single shot and change it back.

I haver tried the sig and didn't like the feel of it as much as the FNP or CZ and definitely my USP. I like the look of the Walther and will have to try it. Is the Walther striker fired? For some reason I'm not a big fan on the strikers I tend to like the hammers honestly.

gorenut
08-06-2011, 11:23 AM
For carry, I'd vote FNP - mainly due to weight.

The Walther P99 is a great gun too, has a lot of things that reminds me of H&Ks. Personally, the gun didn't work out for me, but my girlfriend is very proficient with it. If you really want a USP, you can find used ones for around $500 if you look around.

vincentk
08-06-2011, 12:12 PM
I too say FNP, because of weight, and people around you might not be pleased if you carried cocked-and-locked with the CZ.

zfields
08-06-2011, 12:26 PM
I heard about the phantom but I thought it wasn't on the approved list to be sold from a shop. I won't have the time to wait to find a good deal on a used one or make it single shot and change it back.

I haver tried the sig and didn't like the feel of it as much as the FNP or CZ and definitely my USP. I like the look of the Walther and will have to try it. Is the Walther striker fired? For some reason I'm not a big fan on the strikers I tend to like the hammers honestly.

Your asking about a duty gun? I assumed you are LEO and are exempt.

SPGuy
08-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Your asking about a duty gun? I assumed you are LEO and are exempt.

As originally posted I am an armed transport and vault security guard...I will be doing a lot of lifting moving and pushing of up to 100 lb loads

zfields
08-06-2011, 12:44 PM
sorry, sometimes i dont read it all when im on my phone : )

awall919
08-06-2011, 12:56 PM
For any carry firearm I would go with the .40 just to help keep the bullet from over penetrating and hitting a civilian as some 9mm rds would do. As for the firearm choice I would recommend ideally finding a range that has those two particular firearms and get real world experience with them, or at least handle them both in the shop and purchase the firearm that you feel most comfortable with.
Given that you will likely be wearing some level of armor/Kevlar, and that both are great reliable firearms I would probably buy the lighter of the two if I liked the ergos of it. Happy shopping.

luckygunner
08-06-2011, 3:18 PM
I have a FNP 45 tac and a couple CZ pistols. Either one will work. Between the two I would get a CZ. It's easier to modify a CZ vs the FN. The aftermarket is more robust for the CZ.

Shooting both would be the best bet for you. The other bonus of the CZ is that there are more models to choose from. That way you can start with the exact frame configuration you want.

paul0660
08-06-2011, 3:37 PM
CZ, because you can use the standard capacity mags you got back in the 90's.

duckjob
08-06-2011, 7:46 PM
Both are great guns, and with training both are going to be reliable accurate guns. I own the FNP9 and have shot the CZ-75 considerably. I would go with the fnp personally, light weight, great ergo's. The FNP-9 strikes me as kind of a mix between an HK and a SIG...