PDA

View Full Version : Bersa Magazine Malf

Tiberius
08-05-2011, 9:40 PM
I'm hoping one of you all has some insight on this.

Today I was shooting my Bersa Thunder 380, which I bought about 6 months ago, for CCW. It's probably still in the break-in phase, with 3-400 rounds total, counting over a hundred today.

For the first time, today I had a couple failures to feed, which bothered me. Then, when re-inserting the factory 7-round mag that came with the gun, I suddenly had 4 pieces instead of 1. The whole mag spontaneously self-disassembled. That explained the previous FTFs - the mag was falling apart.

When I got home Iput the mag together again - fed in the follower, spring, and base plate. The follower is loose and wobbly - it goes back and forth. Probably this mag is done for.

What seems to have triggered the falling apart is that the base plate can slide right off. When inserting the mag, I probably had a little "forward" in my "up," that slid the baseplate off. And once the baseplate is off, the spring follows and there you are.

I've lost a bit of confidence in the Bersa; I generally avoid buying the cheapest of anything, especially in the tool category, but I liked the Bersa' features. I also have Sigs, Kimbers, and Berettas, which I have a lot more confidence in at the moment. On the other hand, sometimes freak things happen.

Has anyone had similar experiences? I'll contact Bersa, and buy another mag or 2, and see where things end up.

Thanks,

T

Bigtwin
08-05-2011, 9:50 PM
If you have not done so already run over to the Bersa forum http://www.bersachat.com/forums/forum.php , for more direct info. Ask your question there also.
Good folks and very helpful.
I have not had this or any other problem with my Bersa 380. I will say from what I have read Bersa should take care of the issue you have had. The customer service from that site has been beyond good!

TANK
08-05-2011, 10:25 PM
only problem ive had are with aftermarket mags. otherwise gtg

Ksmash01
08-06-2011, 12:21 PM
I had a couple stovepipes using a ProMag 7 rounder. At the time I was using Ultramax(reloaded) ammo, and it was 2 out of 100(the first 100). After that, no issues(using PMC, Hornady Critical Defense, and Federal Hydrashocks).

Not a problem with my factory 7 rounder.

I'm wondering if you broke the catch that holds the floorplate in place. It should be an easy fix.

I have a feeling getting the mag replaced will renew your confidence in the pistol, but if that doesn't work, I've also heard that Bersa and the folks at Bersachat.com are real friendly.

Good Luck.