PDA

View Full Version : Does the Rock Island 1911 like Ranger T series JHP?

SofaGeorge
08-05-2011, 6:56 PM
I recently got a Rock Island Tactical 1911. First day on the range it ate every type of ball ammo that I fed it... flawless function... not a single hiccup. It's now time to start testing it with what will be my regular SD ammo. My round of choice is the Winchester Ranger T series 230gr JHP. Obviously, I'm going to have to see a few hundred rounds of flawless performance before it becomes something I will trust to defend my family... but I would like to ask others here who own the RIA Tactical if they have had good experience using the 230gr Ranger T JHPs?

I am using Chip McCormick and Wilson 47D magazines. I will soon have only Wilson 47D mags and the Wilson 10 round 1911 mags.

Fishslayer
08-05-2011, 8:18 PM
Maybe. Mine choked on everything but FMJ the first few hundred rounds. Now it feeds SWC fine out of 7rd mags from Wilson, MecGar & Checkmate mags with hybrid lips and dimpled follower.

Some report flawless functioning with HP & some have to send it off to Vegas for some polishing.

Only one way to know for sure...

NSR500
08-05-2011, 9:24 PM
Mine has been perfect.

PRCABR4Christ
08-05-2011, 9:48 PM
Depends, mine never liked SWC's, but has always liked ball and JHP's

corvetteguy
08-05-2011, 9:51 PM
Mine feeds everything including Ranger T's.

David

high_lander
08-06-2011, 5:41 AM
honestly I had issues with mine feeding JHP, didn't matter what mag I used. One of the reasons I sold it. However my Springer eats everything with the same mags. I used the WC 47D and CM power 10s. Forget trying to use the factory Novak mag for JHPs on the RIA.

evidens83
08-06-2011, 8:29 AM
Mine has eaten every JHP fed through it :thumbsup:

Can't buy anything here
08-06-2011, 9:16 AM
The great thing about a .45 is it doesn't need hollowpoints...:)

SofaGeorge
08-06-2011, 7:06 PM

That was honestly my feeling... but I got flamed into the dirt for even asking about it. It seemed to me since the gun was designed to use ball... why not use ball? But several people practical went nuts when I asked about it.

That 45 ball is one big bad round. I'd rather shoot someone with 45 ball than a 38 HP.

Can't buy anything here
08-06-2011, 7:27 PM
That was honestly my feeling... but I got flamed into the dirt for even asking about it. It seemed to me since the gun was designed to use ball... why not use ball? But several people practical went nuts when I asked about it.

That 45 ball is one big bad round. I'd rather shoot someone with 45 ball than a 38 HP.

What do people know? .45 ball did the job in two world wars, two major conflicts, and in thousands of police holsters. I'm sure it will serve you well also.

SofaGeorge
08-06-2011, 8:00 PM
What do people know? .45 ball did the job in two world wars, two major conflicts, and in thousands of police holsters. I'm sure it will serve you well also.

Wish someone had said that before I bought a crate of Ranger T :kest:

But if it works well it wil be great ammo in the end

Havoc70
08-06-2011, 8:19 PM

This. You're throwing damn near .5" of lead at someone weighing 230 grains (.5 oz). Also, remember the hollow point's secondary purpose is to slow down a fast round to keep it from over-penetrating. You won't have that issue with a .45 ACP cartridge. It's slow. Some commercial airliners actually fly faster than that bullet.

Additionally, this is a military round, even before the Geneva Conventions military rounds were mostly all FMJ rounds. Yes, there were some exploding rounds that were subsequently banned by the Geneva Convention, but by and large military rounds were just big ol' balls of whoop a**. They are designed to be effective as is. I'm not going to run HP in my RIA 1911. I had the good fortune to carry a .45 when I was flying combat missions (even though the official sidearm of the USAF at that time was a Beretta 92, and for B-52 air crews our standard issue was a .38 revolver, I was allowed to carry my personal firearm) and I felt just fine with those rounds not in hollow point, not that I had a choice on what type of round I could use.

.5 of an ounce of lead, .5" in diameter at 569 MPH will put a lot of hurt on someone without needing to mushroom. And the 20mm ammo I fired out of the tail end of a B-52 wasn't JHP either (granted, it was high explosive incendiary...) :).

At a certain calibre you no longer need hollow points and .45 is about the threshold where one doesn't need to be a hollow point.