PDA

View Full Version : Nothing spectacular, but I finished my 2nd California Legal Self Loading Rifle...

James R.
01-12-2007, 9:48 PM
Mad props to Wes at Ten Percent for the Upper and Buttstock...the rest of the parts I got from various other places. Lower came from Cold War Shooters, trigger bits from Midway USA, KNS Pins from well frankly I forget, Hogue Grip from Midway, Trigger Guard from Magpul and the Ambi-Safety from JPCustom Rifles.

http://www.apatheology.com/public_shares/images/StagLeftyRifle.jpg

http://www.apatheology.com/public_shares/images/JPCustomSafety.jpg

I've got two of these JP Safety selectors and I have to say they're really the cats @$$, sure they're expensive but the fit and finish are second to none. They're adjustable so you can install them such that the trigger has ZERO movement when on safe...and the design of it is such that the trigger travel is reduced, the reset is shorter etc. Only one word of caution however, they don't work with the RRA 2 Stage Match trigger, I had to send the center cam off to a machine shop that took material off to get it working in my other AR. This gun has a normal single stage which is what the safety was designed to work with and it's a perfect fit right out of the bag for that.

Regards,

James R.

DedEye
01-12-2007, 9:53 PM
Damn nice looking, how's it shoot?

James R.
01-12-2007, 10:06 PM
Damn nice looking, how's it shoot?

No idea, just finished it up tonite...we'll see if I get off my arse and go shoot.

I'm hoping the sights are reasonably close to on target...I must admit I'm not terribly familiar with the operation of this style of iron sights. My other AR has a more circular shroud around the sight post, you get the two circles matched up and place the target on top of the sight post like a lollipop and take your shot. However this A2 front sight has a more Y like fork, not sure what you're supposed to align with what.

Regards,

James R.

avidone
01-12-2007, 10:35 PM
Looks spectacular from here.

James R.
01-12-2007, 10:39 PM
I don't think it's a big deal...but the BCG can get stuck on the bolt catch. A right hand upper won't do this, I tried it since I have both. The rifle should always cycle with enough force to make this a non issue but I thought it was kinda interesting.

Regards,

James R.

Greg-Dawg
01-12-2007, 10:40 PM
Do you mind how much the parts cost you? Or how much was it total?

I want to save up and need an estimate.

Great build!

James R.
01-12-2007, 10:41 PM
Looks spectacular from here.

I like it, it's a plain simple rifle. I've got plenty of rifles with a bunch of BS hanging off of them. Only thing I might change is the trigger...haven't even shot it and I can say this trigger sucks the big one. I might try another DPMS trigger I have laying around. Those cheap LPK triggers are hit and miss, either you get a good one or you get total rubbish.

Regards,

James R.

James R.
01-12-2007, 10:44 PM
Do you mind how much the parts cost you? Or how much was it total?

I want to save up and need an estimate.

Great build!

I forget what the upper cost exactly, I looked on Cold War and it's $595, I paid $150 for the lower (plus dros and transfer brought it to $200 or a bit more) the LPK cost like $50 or so I think, Grip is like $10~15, Buttstock is like $55. That JP Safety if you go Ambi is like $70 shipped, $40 if you only have one paddle on it. Watsons takedown pin was like $7, KNS pins...I forget maybe $25? The magazine is a Bushy, I think it's also like maybe $25.

I think that's all of it...

Regards,

James R.

jumbopanda
01-12-2007, 11:01 PM
Cool gun. Your camara-fu is strong. :)

markymark
01-12-2007, 11:08 PM
Mad props...
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a221/markkim/props.gif

btw, nice looking rifle!

James R.
01-12-2007, 11:41 PM
Cool gun. Your camara-fu is strong. :)

Haha thanks, first shot was tripod mounted cause I didn't want to resort to flash...makes everything all glary. I need to get a nice backdrop so I can Lunde (yes I'm using his name as a verb) up my pictures. The 2nd one was with flash, quick and dirty...

Camera is a Nikon D70, I've got a bunch of lenses...several of which make the body look downright cheap. I might take a break from gun buying and get a D200...really would like a newer body.

Regards,

James R.

pksman
01-13-2007, 9:31 AM
Nice pictures. Even nicer rifle.

restless
01-13-2007, 11:35 AM
Looks great. How about a range report?

ghostrider4evr
01-13-2007, 12:03 PM
Nice looking rifle sir.

James R.
01-13-2007, 12:12 PM
Looks great. How about a range report?

Will do when there's range reporting to be done, just finished it up last night.

I have a bad habit of building more guns than my frequency of shooting can honestly justify...but that has never stopped me ;-) See now the question is, if it's cold waaaaay down here in Irvine, how freaking cold is it at Burro Canyon? Probably pretty d@mn cold :-(

Regards,

James R.

Tzvia
01-13-2007, 2:15 PM
Nothing spectacular?:confused: :confused:
Any time a Black Rifle is born in the state of KA it is cause for celebration! And just think of how good it makes AM feel :D .
Priceless...

And it's a mighty fine looking Black Rifle at that.

FatKatMatt
01-13-2007, 3:13 PM
Very nice

capitol
01-13-2007, 4:41 PM
Only thing I might change is the trigger...haven't even shot it and I can say this trigger sucks the big one. I might try another DPMS trigger I have laying around. Those cheap LPK triggers are hit and miss, either you get a good one or you get total rubbish.

Regards,

James R.

Trash that trigger and get one of these bad boys. There isn't a trigger made that's better.

http://globaltactical.com/_img.upload/upload/POF%20TRIGGER%20GROUP.JPG

Turbinator
01-13-2007, 10:57 PM
Camera is a Nikon D70, I've got a bunch of lenses...several of which make the body look downright cheap. I might take a break from gun buying and get a D200...really would like a newer body.

Oh? What lenses do you have?

I am hoping Nikon eventually makes an 18-200mm f/2.8 or faster, with VR.

Turby

matango
01-14-2007, 12:16 AM
what makes it CA legal? does it have a fixed magazine or something?

is it different than a standard AR15 in function?

James R.
01-14-2007, 12:19 AM
what makes it CA legal? does it have a fixed magazine or something?

is it different than a standard AR15 in function?

Yep magazine is fixed with a Prince 50 kit...hope to replace it with one of those bullet tip magazine release type deals when they come out. Same goes for my first build...

As for function, yeah should be the same as any AR, cept it ejects on the left instead of the right. The only difference I've noticed so far is that the BCG can catch on the mag release if you don't pull the charging handle all the way back. Not a real issue, esp when firing (which I have not done) because the bolt cycles back with enough force to clear that mag catch w/o a doubt.

http://www.apatheology.com/public_shares/images/AR1.jpg

Regards,

James R.

James R.
01-14-2007, 12:31 AM
Oh? What lenses do you have?

I am hoping Nikon eventually makes an 18-200mm f/2.8 or faster, with VR.

Turby

http://www.apatheology.com/public_shares/images/Lenses_General.jpg

From left to right...

TC-14E II (1.4x Teleconverter), 50mm f/1.8, 12~24mm f/4 DX, 24~120mm f/3.5~5.6 VR, 105mm f/2.8 Micro Nikkor & 70~200 f/2.8 VR...

Probably going to ditch the 24~120 and replace it with something like the 17~55mm f/2.8 DX or the 28~70mm f/2.8. I dunno, I like the fact that the 17mm really helps with the APS-C sensor, however I hear stirrings that Nikon are going to release a FF (Full Frame) camera. It would make sense if that's the case to not invest in any more DX glass. Right now the only DX lens I have is that 12~24mm f/4 and while not cheap at nearly $1000 it beats having that plus another $1,200 DX lens that won't work right on a FF camera.

An 18~200 f/2.8 VR seems unlikely to me. That's a really broad range to try to squeeze into a lens which would have to cost quite a bit. When you allow a lens to have that sort of range compromises are made as regards rectilinearity at the limits of the focal length. I dunno if people are going to want to pay top dollar for a lens with a fair bit of distortion at the limits of its range. Sounds like you want one lens to rule them all ;-) Unfortunately no such thing exists. There is however as I'm sure you know an 18~200mm f/3.5~5.6 VR which costs around $750...if you wanted a travel lens that's about the best Nikon can do if VR is a must. The 24~120mm f/3.5~5.6 VR served me well on various vacations, but it's nothing to write home about. The 12~24mm f/4, 50mm f/1.8, 105mm f/2.8 and the 70~200 f/2.8 VR however are all very nice lenses...quite happy with all of them.

Regards,

James R.

jester
01-14-2007, 8:49 AM
KNS pins?
Is that the crossbar locking the trigger pins in? If so, could you tell what its called and where you got them. I'd like to get that too......

TonyM
01-14-2007, 9:38 AM
From left to right...

TC-14E II (1.4x Teleconverter), 50mm f/1.8, 12~24mm f/4 DX, 24~120mm f/3.5~5.6 VR, 105mm f/2.8 Micro Nikkor & 70~200 f/2.8 VR...

I've got pretty much the same lenses for my D2X, just remove the 24-120, add a 28-70 f/2.8 (The Beast), and I just got the 200-400VR. Great stuff, I've been a Nikon guy for a long time and love AFS lenses.

If you get a chance, checkout the 28-70 2.8, it's my favorite overall lens, after I got it, I sold my 17-55 that I had sold my 17-35 for. I find that the extra Bokeh quality in the 28-70 makes it worth not having the wider angle of the 17-55, and there's always the 12-24 if/when I need it.

Cheers.

James R.
01-14-2007, 2:22 PM
I've got pretty much the same lenses for my D2X, just remove the 24-120, add a 28-70 f/2.8 (The Beast), and I just got the 200-400VR. Great stuff, I've been a Nikon guy for a long time and love AFS lenses.

If you get a chance, checkout the 28-70 2.8, it's my favorite overall lens, after I got it, I sold my 17-55 that I had sold my 17-35 for. I find that the extra Bokeh quality in the 28-70 makes it worth not having the wider angle of the 17-55, and there's always the 12-24 if/when I need it.

Cheers.

Yeah I mentioned that in my post, it's down to the 17-55mm f/2.8 or the 28-70 f/2.8 to replace that 24~120mm. The latter of those two options is considerably more expensive, but FF so if a FF Nikon body comes around I'll really only be out my 12-24mm and that 28mm wide end of the 28-70mm will look like what ~17mm looked like on my APS-C sensor did anyhow...so not much of a crisis. I could sell off the 12-24mm at that point to help pay for the new FF body :-)

My buddy has the 28-70mm f/2.8 and monster is the right word for it. I dunno how well it'd balance on a camera as light as the D70, then again the TC and 70-200mm don't, "balance" either :-P

Regards,

James R.

James R.
01-14-2007, 2:25 PM
KNS pins?
Is that the crossbar locking the trigger pins in? If so, could you tell what its called and where you got them. I'd like to get that too......

It's really about two things, it locks the pins in place...and more important it doesn't allow them to rotate in the receiver. In theory if you shot enough the constant rotation of those steel pins in an aluminum receiver will run the holes out of round as they're being driven up and down respectively by spring tension.

I think I got mine from here...make sure you get the right size. 0.154" is standard...but match triggers and such will use 0.1555" or whatever...the larger pins, but not the huge Colt pins, unless you have a Colt lower.

http://www.talonarms.com/talonarms/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=327

Ohh they also oil your trigger group but that's IMHO kinda a BS feature, honestly I wish they'd have just left the pins solid in that regard.

Regards,

James R.

James R.
01-14-2007, 2:27 PM
do you think the BGC gets caught on the bolt catch because of too much spring tension? i noticed this in my stag 15 and my friends DPMS. mine's a lefty and his, well its a righty but the problem is promiment in both. im wondering if it goes away over time.

Well I certainly hope it doesn't happen in normal operation of the rifle!?! I just meant that if you pull the charging handle back slowly it will first catch on the BCG, then if you pull farther it will catch where it should on the bolt face. I have a RH DPMS upper and it never catches on anything. I think it has more to do with the geometry of how all the parts come together, the shape of the bolt catch and such. You're using a RH bolt catch on a BCG/Bolt modified to eject left, so maybe there's something going on there that makes this possible. I don't think it's going to hurt anything...just making an observation.

Regards,

James R.