PDA

View Full Version : M&P Sights Installation Problem

Sam
08-05-2011, 6:21 PM
I just got around to getting Ameriglo Hackathorn sights put on my two M&Ps. I love the sights, they seem very, very fast and I can't wait to get to the range. However when I got home I noticed that both pairs had been scratched on the right side in the same place. The scratch runs horizontally and is above the spot where the slide and sights meet. I'm thinking that this is due to how the guy installed them since they are almost exactly the same scratches. Anyone got any info?
Thanks,
Sam

stevie
08-05-2011, 6:36 PM
Probably from the sight pusher. When I install sights using my Glock sight pusher it does leave marks.

checkenbach
08-05-2011, 7:05 PM
M&P sights(especially the front) are VERY tight. I had a shop in the East Bay destroy my Dawson front sight. I bought another one, a set of soft jaws, a vice and installed it myself. It looks great, shoots great too.

G60
08-05-2011, 7:14 PM
Sight pusher did it to my rear sight as well. I have the MGW pusher, not a generic one.

smattenson
08-05-2011, 7:22 PM
I'd say sight pusher as well and second on the m&p front sight dovetail being a tight fit. I replaced the sights on my old m&p 9mm to XS sight's and the front took a bit of work to get it to go in.

Ksmash01
08-05-2011, 10:50 PM
M&P sights(especially the front) are VERY tight. I had a shop in the East Bay destroy my Dawson front sight. I bought another one, a set of soft jaws, a vice and installed it myself. It looks great, shoots great too.

Would you mind telling me who did it before I go there for a sight job...?

McTerry
08-06-2011, 1:34 PM
I would take it back and ask him to remedy it. Don't settle for, "That happens when installing aftermarket sights" BS either. There is absolutely no reason why someone couldn't protect the finish while installing them.

Ksmash01
08-06-2011, 3:29 PM
I would take it back and ask him to remedy it. Don't settle for, "That happens when installing aftermarket sights" BS either. There is absolutely no reason why someone couldn't protect the finish while installing them.

I was having a similar conversation with the owner of US Firearms in Sunnyvale. He mentioned that a mark on my rear sight was made by an angled sight pusher. He stated bluntly, that he wouldn't have let anyone's firearm leave in that condition, and also said that there are things that could have been done to make it look better.

I imagine what needs to be done is the sights need to be stoned, and refinished, to the extent that this can be done. If that can't be done, the a replacement may be in order.

k1dude
08-07-2011, 12:06 PM

Which brand and model of soft jaw pliers did you use? Also, how did you adjust your windage properly? Trial and error?

psango
08-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Yep sometimes a sight tools marks up the sights, I install my own sights now. I have a Sig and a Kaiser Universal sight tool. Maybe some cold blue will make them look a little better. Some sights are in there really tight.

Robar chewed up the dove-tail, not the sight on my P288 slide when they re-installed my factory P228 sights after refinishing my slide. They just shipped it back that way I couldn't believe it. I use another company for refinishing now.