PDA

View Full Version : a couple STI questions

djleisure
08-05-2011, 3:26 PM
I tried doing a search for STI info and couldn't find what I was looking for, so maybe someone can school on a few basic Q's?

My Mom, in Oregon wants to get me a gift, so of course I'd like something off-roster flavored.

I don't intend on building a race gun, but I do like the look of the STI 2011 frames and want to create a "monolithic" looking 2011. How much should I expect to spend on TOP of the gifted frame? Like I said, I'm not going to be competing with it, so everything doesn't have to be super high end, but I want a certain look and overall reliable function and I'm willing to pay for it.

Do people generally buy all the parts, then ship it off to a smith to build the complete gun? I'm guessing it's not like an AR that I could put together with basic tools, correct?

Is 1911forum.com a good place to get in-depth information on these? What is the best website for custom-building STI info?

Is there somewhere I can browse all the available STI slides? (I tried "STI slides" in Google and it didn't help much)

If I get the "Long/Wide non-ramp" like the picture below, can I make that into any caliber? (I'd like a 9mm) or do I need to buy a specific frame. Also, what the hell does "non-ramp" mean? That sounds bad to me, like no feed-ramp? or does that refer to some other type of ramp?

Thanks in advance for any info!

http://spinstage.http.internapcdn.net/Spinstage/userdocs/skus/p_791251001_1.jpg

Bob Hostetter
08-05-2011, 6:02 PM
go to www.stiguns.com for a complete listing of available slides and parts from STI. you can build the pistol from the frame in just about any caliber you want. Ramped vs nonramped barrels addresses whether or not the feed ramp is in the frame or part of the barrel, something you have as an option with custom building a 1911/2011 (and if you go with the ramped barrel you have two styles of that to choose from as well). If you want a quality result I would recommend you have it build by someone who knows what they are doing.