PDA

View Full Version : Idiot scratch on 1911?

fred40
08-04-2011, 10:51 PM
I got my first Colt 1911 and I just want to know what you guys mean by the idiot scratch.

Freq18Hz
08-04-2011, 10:58 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=231003

-Freq

InGrAM
08-04-2011, 11:07 PM
It is a scratch usually caused by the slide stop on the frame or slide.

PRCABR4Christ
08-04-2011, 11:08 PM
some call it a "reassembly mark", in actuality, it's easy to do...and then again, it's easy not to do...you'll get the hang of it, check this out... http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=214653&highlight=slide+stop

Wilson actually does this to their slide stops now, it's pretty easy to do at home :D

Blackhawk556
08-06-2011, 9:09 AM
Wow this is awesome. I just did this to my 1911 and the slide stop pushes right in. Why aren't more people talking about this?? If you dontpost this thread more often in 1911 threads, i will :). This is the best way to prevent the idiot scratch.

some call it a "reassembly mark", in actuality, it's easy to do...and then again, it's easy not to do...you'll get the hang of it, check this out... http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=214653&highlight=slide+stop

Wilson actually does this to their slide stops now, it's pretty easy to do at home :D

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

PRCABR4Christ
08-06-2011, 9:21 AM
Wow this is awesome. I just did this to my 1911 and the slide stop pushes right in. Why aren't more people talking about this?? If you dontpost this thread more often in 1911 threads, i will :). This is the best way to prevent the idiot scratch.

It's one of those "Doh!" things that should have been discovered long ago :rofl2:

JTROKS
08-06-2011, 9:43 AM
There are ways of preventing the scratch. Some folks use strategically placed thick paper between the frame and slide stop. The idiot scratch doesn't bother me on the 1911s I like to shoot, but most folks tend to keep their guns looking nice for aesthetics or resale value. I learned this can be prevented by custom fitting the slide stop plunger by giving it just the right length and contract pressure to do the job.

redcliff
08-06-2011, 10:14 AM
I put a small scratch on my first 1911 back in the 70's. My gun dealer/friend/gunsmith/jedi master of handgun shooting showed me a proper method and made me disassemble/reassemble my 1911 three times in front of him using his method.

I've never assembly-scratched a 1911 since then and don't modfiy my slide stops or use protective surfaces.

CK_32
08-06-2011, 10:17 AM
a scratch. But from you taking the gun down or cleaning it. Aka a scratch from non use like a drop or a screw driver scratch trying to break the gun down or something or cleaning.

Dannicus
08-06-2011, 7:17 PM
I was shown how not to put the scratch on my RIA by the shop I bought it from, but I don't think I'd have done it in the first place. If you know how the slide stop came out, what would possess someone to insert it and then swig it up while dragging the catch on the frame? I've heard of that mod posted earlier and I have seen a catch that had an odd profile that made it a biatch to insert straight. It could be useful to do that mod in that case. Most probably don't need it, tho.

Dhena81
08-07-2011, 2:15 PM
I bought my first 1911 a bit before I joined this or any firearm forum and never knew what a idiot mark was or how it happens.

Are some 1911's slide catches harder to assemble than others or something? I always pushed it straight in while the slide notch is lined up. Do people do this and try and push it straight in and the catch slips and pushes into the frame or something I really don't understand how this could happen.

Cali-Shooter
08-07-2011, 2:19 PM
I lol massively at gun owners who get their pantalones in a wad over idiot marks on their 1911's while they were under their ownership.

What did you spend your money on, a Ferrari? It's a handgun, it supposed to have battle scars and is supposed to see range time and shooting action.

epcii
08-07-2011, 2:35 PM
I lol massively at gun owners who get their pantalones in a wad over idiot marks on their 1911's while they were under their ownership.

What did you spend your money on, a Ferrari? It's a handgun, it supposed to have battle scars and is supposed to see range time and shooting action.

Lol, I used to be like that, especially when I got my very first gun. I outgrew that quickly.

JTROKS
08-07-2011, 3:00 PM
Some folks use little screwdrivers and picks to depress the plunger, some 1911s have the correct length tip of plunger protruding to assemble without any aid - just require the proper positioning of the slide stop tab. I'm referring to modifying the incorrect length tip of the plunger due to variations in manufacturing plunger tubes and plungers. I don't like getting my guns scratched and will take precautionary methods to prevent it, but hey $#it happens.

Cokebottle
08-07-2011, 3:02 PM
I just spent about 10 seconds with a jeweler's file and smoothed the angle on my stop so it pops right onto the pin without any persuasion.

The thumb safety is a pain, but I rarely remove it so I'll live with it.

JTROKS
08-07-2011, 3:50 PM
I just spent about 10 seconds with a jeweler's file and smoothed the angle on my stop so it pops right onto the pin without any persuasion.

The thumb safety is a pain, but I rarely remove it so I'll live with it.

It doesn't take much time to do the mod to the slide stop and/or plunger. Or you can just keep doing what this nice lady does with a small screwdriver starting on 3:00 mark.

W3s4Q4AVO2Q

daveinwoodland
08-07-2011, 3:52 PM
The worst scratch is the one any gun gets from not being used. I'm gulity of this, but getting marks from using, cleaning/stripping are badges of honor IMO.

Sunday
08-07-2011, 4:02 PM
My WWII surplus 1911 has "some" scratches on it. Use it and abuse it

Cokebottle
08-07-2011, 4:53 PM
It doesn't take much time to do the mod to the slide stop and/or plunger. Or you can just keep doing what this nice lady does with a small screwdriver starting on 3:00 mark.
I like how she shows exactly how people get idiot marks all the way from the trigger to the top of the slide.

Cokebottle
08-07-2011, 4:54 PM
The worst scratch is the one any gun gets from not being used. I'm gulity of this, but getting marks from using, cleaning/stripping are badges of honor IMO.
Scratched your frame ehh? :p

Dhena81
08-07-2011, 5:49 PM
Scratched your frame ehh? :p

LOL

pacifico23
08-07-2011, 8:56 PM
I have a Sig 1911. And just dont understand how you can do that idiot scratch. I just push mine in no problem every time I've dissasembled it. Is this a prob with older 1911's or something?

InGrAM
08-07-2011, 9:14 PM
I have a Sig 1911. And just dont understand how you can do that idiot scratch. I just push mine in no problem every time I've dissasembled it. Is this a prob with older 1911's or something?

I have a GSR and it is by far the hardest to get the slide stop into. I have to use a small screw driver to push the plunger in to get the slide stop back in. The first time I did it I scratched my wood stocks (they have been replaced since) but it Pissed me off. I will definitely do the slide stop modification the next time I clean it but to your comment my guess is that every 1911 is different.

mixwell
08-07-2011, 9:16 PM
I got my first Colt 1911 and I just want to know what you guys mean by the idiot scratch.

This was when I purchased my 1st 1911 and thought I knew enough from videos to strip it without looking again months after I bought it.. I call it an intentional lightning bolt design I created to give it more character :p in all honesty, on a new 1911 i would never make the same mistake but i guess since this was born from the RIA family and wasn't a $1k gun I got over it rather quick and I usually never notice it now but in retrospect I shouldn't have been a smart arse know it all and took more time.. o well.. i bought it to shoot it and that's what I do but I wouldn't make the same mistake again on another 1911.. I've since learned.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f103/mixwell1983/idiotmark.jpg

JTROKS
08-07-2011, 10:14 PM
This was when I purchased my 1st 1911 and thought I knew enough from videos to strip it without looking again months after I bought it.. I call it an intentional lightning bolt design I created to give it more character :p in all honesty, on a new 1911 i would never make the same mistake but i guess since this was born from the RIA family and wasn't a $1k gun I got over it rather quick and I usually never notice it now but in retrospect I shouldn't have been a smart arse know it all and took more time.. o well.. i bought it to shoot it and that's what I do but I wouldn't make the same mistake again on another 1911.. I've since learned.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f103/mixwell1983/idiotmark.jpg

Don't worry about it. I saw a Wilson Combat 1911 at the range and the idiot scratch looked worst than yours. I usually modify the slide stop plunger instead of the slide stop, since it's a cheaper part. Waaaaay cheaper. In fact I can make my own if I screw up the one that came from the pin kit.

Black Majik
08-07-2011, 10:31 PM
Being careless and scratching your frame is not wear and "badge of honor."

Blackhawk556
08-07-2011, 11:41 PM
^^^^What he said.

Colt-45
08-08-2011, 2:31 AM
An idiot scratch means the value of the gun is now SO low that it is now entirely yours :)

Centurion_D
08-08-2011, 11:16 PM

I"m glad I came across this post. Now my slide stop pops right in..no more hassles. And imagine..I was going to buy a aftermarket slide stop with the same modification..for $60.00..thanks again fellas for saving my wallet! :D

Pantheragem
08-08-2011, 11:50 PM
I was lucky enough that mine came with one! :)

yardsale
08-09-2011, 8:14 AM
And I bet none of you with the pristine guns have ever had to reassemble your gun with your eyes closed or in the dark. Anyone can avoid an idiot scratch in the best of conditions, the reassembly scratch is sometimes unavoidable in the worst of conditions.

Moto4Fun
08-09-2011, 9:03 AM
Is it common to shoot pencils out of your 1911 after re-assembly?

Blackhawk556
08-09-2011, 9:25 AM
What's the price for an extra slide stop ??

OofieXD
08-09-2011, 9:27 AM
What's the price for an extra slide stop ??

i dont think they cost that much, maybe at most $50? The problem is fitting it to your gun, they're not a easy as a drop-in part.

dfletcher
08-09-2011, 10:36 AM
The "idiot mark" on a 1911 is nothing compared to the one you'll get on a 1918 BAR - picture a half moon style scratch from the bottom side of the frame up to the forend, about 3" long. Ouch.

Lead Waster
08-09-2011, 11:31 AM

This reminds me of my first car. I bought a used Mazda 323. it had plenty of scratches already and that was actually kind of nice because when I did get scratches and dings, I was like "Meh, whatever". When I actually bought a brand new car, every little scratch bothered me. So maybe 1911's should always be bought pre-scratched! :)

Cokebottle
08-09-2011, 7:43 PM
And I bet none of you with the pristine guns have ever had to reassemble your gun with your eyes closed or in the dark. Anyone can avoid an idiot scratch in the best of conditions, the reassembly scratch is sometimes unavoidable in the worst of conditions.
I don't reassemble my RIA by sight.

And it's a cheapie RIA. I don't care if it gets an idiot mark.
I'm not particularly careful.
I've field stripped it on my thigh sitting in a folding chair at Burro to show someone how simple it is to strip a 1911 for cleaning without tools.

Yet after hearly 2 years, it doesn't have an idiot mark.

Buddhabelly
08-10-2011, 2:51 PM

Why would you take down your gun with your eyes closed or in the dark? That would be kinda idiotic, no? Pun intended.

xrMike
08-10-2011, 3:25 PM
I got that damned scratch on my AK (from the safety), but nothing on my 1911 yet. :D

mauser98k
08-10-2011, 3:48 PM
never cared for that term. sh*t happens. especially when, like in my case, you don't have anyone to teach you anything and you have to learn how to do assembly by yourself.