PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Winclean 9mm Ammo

Raptor3000
08-04-2011, 9:56 PM
Hi guys,

Any one have any experience with this ammo? if so, how is it?

I am planning to get this for my XD9, as it has lead free primer and the back of the bullet is covered. I have young kids so little concerned about Lead ingestion.

Don't mind little extra cost, i have read couple of reviews where some are very happy and other are complaining about FTEs and FTFs with this ammo.

Please let me know your experience with this Ammo.

Thanks

gwl
08-04-2011, 10:26 PM
I fired 100 rounds of the Winclean in by conincidence, my SA-XD9. I don't recall having any FTE or FTF issue. Other than the extra cost, I liked the Winclean ammo.

Ron-Solo
08-05-2011, 12:28 AM
I have fired THOUSANDS of rounds of WinClean. Shoots nice and reasonably accurate.

It is the only round used by LASD for training for 9000+ sworn personnel, and has been for years. It is the only round allowed in LASD's mobile ranges because of lead contamination issues.

I've fired it in compact 9's to full auto MP5 and MP5k weapons with no proplems. Shoot with confidence.

Raptor3000
08-05-2011, 12:27 PM
Any One had any bad experience?

JosephP
08-05-2011, 2:44 PM
It has flat nose so it is easier to see the paper hole.
Also it is very clean ammo unlike red box American Eagle by Federal.
I shot most of my 9mm with this ammo.

Only con is it's price.

Other then it's price... It is very nice ammo.

fuenstock
08-05-2011, 3:50 PM
I've fired over 1000 rounds of winclean thru my old glock 19 with out a single issue. I tried winclean because if I shoot for extended periods of time in an indoor range my throat would hurt. I switched to winclean for indoor use and have not had sore throat since. Great ammo and much cleaner than whitebox and dosn't leave the heavy metal taste in your mouth. Only downside is the price. I tried the American eagle non toxic ammo to, but it was dirty compared to winclean.

Rumline
08-05-2011, 5:24 PM
Another option in this vein is the Speer Lawman Cleanfire line. These bullets are round-nose total metal jacket. Fiocchi also makes lead-free powder/primer rounds in popular calibers with "TCEB" (Truncated Cone Enclosed Base) in the product ID number, ex. "9TCEB123". I've used both of these rounds and they leave your gun markedly cleaner than even "clean-ish" regular ammo. And you don't get the cloud of noxious fumes blowing back in your face after every shot. I love em for indoor ranges. Both can be found for ~$0.30 per round online. Well, the Fiocchi is normally in that range, Speer a few cents more unless you catch a sale.

I'd read the poor feedback on these Wincleans on I think it was CTD website so I stayed away from them. Glad to see others have no problems. I'll pick some up in my next order.

Can't buy anything here
08-05-2011, 6:18 PM
Decent stuff....it's all we use in the LASD....I run the mobile range very month so I see a lot of rounds go down range....works great in the Beretta 92, HK P2000, SW M&P and 3rd gen autos...now the winclean 45...that's another story...

helpme
08-05-2011, 6:23 PM
I have young kids so little concerned about Lead ingestion.

Get a safe

OR

Install a nice high shelf that wouldn't be accessible to children who see bullets a viable eating option :)

Can't buy anything here
08-05-2011, 7:11 PM
I wouldn't worry about lead exposure to children with regular ammo in the house...the base of the projectile may be exposed lead, but it is only an airborne hazard when it's fired...same with the primer...

Raptor3000
08-05-2011, 7:19 PM
I wouldn't worry about lead exposure to children with regular ammo in the house...the base of the projectile may be exposed lead, but it is only an airborne hazard when it's fired...same with the primer...

i was thinking about when cleaning the gun in the house.

Great responses, thanks guys