PDA

View Full Version : Getting a gifted gun from a parent...

louderthangod
08-04-2011, 8:58 PM
My girlfriend and I are in Florida and while we can't buy a gun here, her parents can and then gift it to her. What's the process for this including how would we get it back to California since we're flying. She's looking for a nice 1911 so their shouldn't be any assault weapon or magazine issues. Thanks in advance.

dholla
08-04-2011, 9:06 PM
Flying with a firearm is easy. Just check the airlines website on how they deal with them. All are mostly the same, Locked hard sided case that cant be pried open, only you have the key or combo code. Obviously unloaded. Can go inside a piece of luggage.

I'm not sure on the whole gifting process.

ElvenSoul
08-04-2011, 9:22 PM
If she is a CA Resident will need to transfer CA FFL. Gun must be on CA DOJ Approved List. If not on list most likely can still Single Shot Exempt (but gets expensive).

PRCABR4Christ
08-04-2011, 9:33 PM
IIRC a parent can gift a gun to their kid even if it's not on the roster

JeremyS
08-04-2011, 9:40 PM
If she is a CA Resident will need to transfer CA FFL. Gun must be on CA DOJ Approved List. If not on list most likely can still Single Shot Exempt (but gets expensive).
No, gun does NOT have to be on the roster. Transfers from a parent or grandparent are exempt from the roster (still cannot fall into AW categories).

The parent will have to purchase it. Then they will have to ship it to an FFL near you in CA. Your girlfriend fills out the intrafamiliar transfer form and pays the DROS fees and it's yours. I would not advise travelling across state lines with a weapon that isn't registered to either of you!!!!

On the other hand, if the gun IS on the California roster, it would be easier to just have them give you guys the money and have her purchase it from an FFL here in the first place.

louderthangod
08-04-2011, 10:38 PM
It might be cheaper and easier to find out here.

morrcarr67
08-05-2011, 6:52 AM
No, gun does NOT have to be on the roster. Transfers from a parent or grandparent are exempt from the roster (still cannot fall into AW categories).

The parent will have to purchase it. Then they will have to ship it to an FFL near you in CA. Your girlfriend fills out the intrafamiliar transfer form and pays the DROS fees and it's yours. I would not advise travelling across state lines with a weapon that isn't registered to either of you!!!!

Close.

It does need to sent to an FFL in CA for transfer.

It does NOT have to be on the roster.

It does need to come with a letter from her parent saying that I Mom/Dad do give my Daughter this fine STi 1911 serial number XXXYYYZZZ.

She will need to go to the CA FFL to fill out the DROS and start her 10 day wait.

This is considered a standard transfer and dealers may charge what ever they want for it.

Be sure you talk to the FFL in CA about a non-roster gift. Not all of them are up to speed on this.