View Full Version : Handgun Transfer Questions--a unique situation

08-04-2011, 7:26 PM
Hi there,

Friend of mine is in the military, recently was transferred to California with matching PCS (permanent change of station) orders for a base in NorCal. He is the owner of several off-roster pistols that were legally purchased where he was previously stationed. They are currently in his possession and well within his 60-day grace period.

He now wants to sell said pistols to fund a motorcycle. Does he need to first file a "New Resident Handgun Ownership Report (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/ab991frm.pdf)" to be able to sell the pistols PPT at his local dealer?

Or can he just sell them outright to an individual (at an FFL obviously), like any normal other PPT?

Thanks in advance.

08-04-2011, 9:14 PM
No need to register. .mil is exempt from that new resident stuff, unless and until the service member separates from active duty in CA, with the intention of living here.