PDA

View Full Version : "Importing" hi-caps

jumbopanda
01-12-2007, 2:51 PM
Okay, so its illegal to manufacture, sell, or import high capacity magazines. But what happens if someone from out of state mistakenly sends you one? Say, they included it in a parts kit or if you tell them to dismantle a mag, but they just send them to you complete, or make some other dumb mistake? Would the recipient be the one that "imports" the magazine even though they didn't intend to?

rorschach
01-12-2007, 4:59 PM
I think you would be the importer. Take it apart.

Blue
01-12-2007, 5:10 PM
I'd take them apart and find a 10rd mag.

grammaton76
01-12-2007, 5:14 PM
I second taking it apart, but let the lawyers decide who's the importer. You probably are. I don't suppose your order was a VZ-58...? :)

SemiAutoSam
01-12-2007, 5:18 PM
IMHO the best way to acquire magazines is to "FIND" them. :D

ghostrider4evr
01-12-2007, 5:27 PM
IMHO the best way to acquire magazines is to "FIND" them. :D

Yes, on some desolate shoreline somewhere I'm sure there are tons of mags to be found.

pnkssbtz
01-12-2007, 5:33 PM
Yes, on some desolate shoreline somewhere I'm sure there are tons of mags to be found.
Well with all the people losing mags when their boat got lost/capsized/sunk I am positive there are a bunch on the shoreline... :D :D

leelaw
01-12-2007, 5:36 PM
...Lets not suggest creative ways of breaking the law.

If you are the recepient of some full-capacity magazines from an FFL or someone who shipped them into the state, you would likely be the one in trouble. Be careful, and whatever you do, don't post admissions of such things online (I know, I know, nobody did, but just a reminder)

jumbopanda
01-12-2007, 6:44 PM
Then that would mean that anyone out of state could essentially mail a felony to anyone in California...

I haven't received any hi cap mags, but I am interested in parts. Just curious as to what would happen if a vendor screwed up (and I know some dumb vendors).

50ae
01-12-2007, 6:49 PM
Their has to be intent to break the law and if you had no intent you haven't broken the law. Now, that wouldn't stop you from being arrested, but it would help you in court. Never the less, don't do it. No need in loosing all your rights for a few extra rounds.

MrJayJay
01-12-2007, 9:25 PM
heres my question... what are the punishments for "importing" such magazines. from what i can see it is illegal to do so but is not regulated... i can not find any punishments for such violation... someone enlighten me on this.

artherd
01-12-2007, 9:42 PM
Without mens rea, there can be no real crime here. But a court would decide it, and if you are hauled into criminal court and required to defend yourself from felony charges, then you've already lost a little.

Continued posession of such a magazine after you had idnetified it as a high-cap could be a problem.

dragonbait1a
01-13-2007, 12:57 AM
If you take it apart (or destroy it as the case may be) upon discovering that it holds an "Evil" amount of rounds, You should be OK. I mean, are they coming into your house and opening your mail? Like an AW, remove the "Evil" features and it's not an AW (except for named AWs of course).

The longer you hold on to it, the more likely it is to be a problem. Not disassembling it or destroying it may show "intent". If its an honest accident, fix it.

Hey! And then you can sell the parts! :p Earn from their mistake. :)

Am I completely off base here?

RGB