PDA

View Full Version : Gripless AK in Kali.

zombieflanders
01-12-2007, 3:28 PM
Who will ship Ak's minus the pistol grip into So. Cal. ? I know ammo bros. has the Rommy's in stock, but $600.00 seems a bit steep.

dd03
01-12-2007, 3:36 PM
http://www.spreadfirearms.com/

I think this guy will ship any CA legal rifle, including OLL. If he doesn't have it then you can have the rifle shipped to him, he'll take the pistol grip off, and send it to your FFL. I think he charges around $50 which includes shipping.

SmokinGun
01-12-2007, 7:09 PM
Why not just buy a Romy kit and build one yourself? It will cost you $300 max including the FFL transfer on the receiver and the 10 US parts for 922 compliance.

PLINK
01-12-2007, 7:29 PM
I agree build one yourself if you can.

922r is basically saying that you can not have more than 10 foreign parts.

Taken from ARF http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=80

The 16 countable parts of an AK rifle. No more than 10 of these parts may be imported.

(1) Receiver
(2) Barrel
(3) Trunnion
(4) Muzzle attachments(flash hiders, brakes, barrel extensions, barrel nuts)
(5) Bolt
(6) Bolt carrier
(7) Gas piston
(8) Trigger
(9) Hammer
(10) Disconnecter
(11) Buttstock
(12) Pistol grip
(13) Forearm handguards
(14) Magazine body
(15) Follower
(16) Floorplate

On a typical stamped receiver rifle you need to replace 5 parts with no muzzle attachment and 6 parts with a muzzle attachment.

SmokinGun
01-13-2007, 4:13 AM
I agree build one yourself if you can.

922r is basically saying that you can not have more than 10 foreign parts.

Taken from ARF http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=80

The 16 countable parts of an AK rifle. No more than 10 of these parts may be imported.

(1) Receiver
(2) Barrel
(3) Trunnion
(4) Muzzle attachments(flash hiders, brakes, barrel extensions, barrel nuts)
(5) Bolt
(6) Bolt carrier
(7) Gas piston
(8) Trigger
(9) Hammer
(10) Disconnecter
(11) Buttstock
(12) Pistol grip
(13) Forearm handguards
(14) Magazine body
(15) Follower
(16) Floorplate

On a typical stamped receiver rifle you need to replace 5 parts with no muzzle attachment and 6 parts with a muzzle attachment.

Right...for mine, I bought:

~Romy G Parts Kit $114
~Receiver $55
~Gas piston $19
~Mag (counts as 3 parts) $8
~G2 Trigger group (counts as 3 parts) $35
~Bayo lug $12

With a couple misc hardware items, shipping and FFL transfer for the receiver, it is right around $300.

Fun to build and fun to shoot!

zombieflanders
01-15-2007, 9:01 AM
I've Actually though about building one, but I don't have the tools or know how to build one. How difficult is it? Is there anyone out there that will build them for a fee?

SmokinGun
01-15-2007, 9:11 AM
I've Actually though about building one, but I don't have the tools or know how to build one. How difficult is it? Is there anyone out there that will build them for a fee?

You do need some basic tools like a grinder, small drill press, drills, taps, punches, etc...if you are going to do a screw build. It gets more extensive (tool wise) if you want to do a rivet build.

If you were in the Bay Area, I would offer to help you out. Maybe someone from SoCal can lend a hand?

ghost
01-15-2007, 11:44 AM
hey smokin,i`m in the bay area and i wanted to build a romy ak,can you help me out?

SmokinGun
01-15-2007, 5:48 PM
hey smokin,i`m in the bay area and i wanted to build a romy ak,can you help me out?

Another guy PM'd me about this. Maybe we could meet at a range (Chabot perhaps) and I can give you the lowdown on my two screw builds.

You can also find pretty much everything you need to know about AK building at:

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4
and
http://ak47.net/

AK kits are actually pretty simple to assemble. The hardest part is getting the old rivets out and prepring it to accept the new screws or rivits. I chose to use screws, because I only planned to build two and I didn't want to invest in the riveting tools.

jemaddux
01-15-2007, 6:44 PM
This is how they can come out looking as a rivet build.

SmokinGun
01-15-2007, 8:03 PM
Nice work...I like the various colors of finish on the furniture.

jemaddux
01-15-2007, 8:20 PM
Nice work...I like the various colors of finish on the furniture.

Thanks, I will do them in any color the customer wants. I like the reds and blacks but I can do them to whatever. I'm also going to start doing the Duracoating camo on rifles. I just broke out the all the airbrushes again for that so I'll post some pictures when I finish mine.

juha_teuvonnen
01-15-2007, 8:26 PM
If you don't feel like messing with reivets, you can take the easy way out:

Global trades will manufacture a receiver for you, they will also do the riveting for an additional fee. Once you get your barreled receiver back from your FFL, throw in US compliance parts and you're all set. I went with G2 trigger group, muzzle brake and synthetic furniture for compliance parts.

ghost
01-15-2007, 9:31 PM
sounds cool smokingun!pm me when youre going to chabot again and i`ll meet up with you.i`m a newbie to the ak build myself so any helpful info will be a great help.