PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Grip Reinforcement Plate, necessary?

marxdspot
01-12-2007, 12:46 PM
Hi Fellow Shooters.

Sorry if this is a repeat question, guys, but I couldnít seem to find any threads while doing a search.

I just purchased a Polish AK underfolder kit and Iím desperately trying to look for answers on the web. Iím trying to look for the right receiver through Nodakspud. I found two models, with and without the pistol grip reinforcement plate. I tried giving the guys at NDS a call to ask, but theyíre all out to the Shot Show. So, now I seek wisdom from my wise friends.

I was wondering if I could go with out pistol grip reinforcement plate? Is it really needed? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

marxdspot
01-14-2007, 8:50 AM
BTT...help, please?

PLINK
01-14-2007, 9:33 AM
I was just at a buddies house yesterday. He just picked up his NDS Polish UF receiver that had the reinforcement plate. Looks like it does really strengthen up the pistol grip area.

I don't know the answer to your question but if I was to build one I would get it with the reinforcement plate. It's only $11 more. I would try to find out if the original had it. If not, then that could play into your decision. NDS did put one on for a reason though.

Maybe ask your question over at AKfiles.

Harbinger
01-14-2007, 9:41 AM
Probably much more necessary on an underfolder where there's expectation of 'pistol-style' use when the stock is folded.

Also, IMHO, if an underfolder were to be dropped on the ground, there are many more angles at which the pistol grip could be bent/damaged than with a full wood butt stock.

I would say they're probably not necessary for those of us who aren't relying on our AKs to start revolutions. Wait, maybe that's the wrong choice of words. :D

Mike

marxdspot
01-14-2007, 9:50 AM
Thanks guys. I did go ahead and order the NDS-1P with the reinforcement plate from nodak, hoping that reinforcement plate would help. Thanks for your help, gentlemen!

PLINK
01-14-2007, 12:44 PM
Not that this matters now as you have made you decision but...

After thinking about this a little more, I think the reinforcement plate is really for the people who plan to shoot these with the stock folded.

If you plan on fixing the stock to get the OAL to 30 inches. Then I would say you don't need the plate. When shooting with the stock fixed there probably will not be enough stress on the pistol grip.

If you plan on folding the stock and adding a muzzle device to get the OAL to 30 inches. Then the reinforcement plate would be a good idea.

marxdspot
01-14-2007, 2:36 PM
Not that this matters now as you have made you decision but...

After thinking about this a little more, I think the reinforcement plate is really for the people who plan to shoot these with the stock folded.

If you plan on fixing the stock to get the OAL to 30 inches. Then I would say you don't need the plate. When shooting with the stock fixed there probably will not be enough stress on the pistol grip.

If you plan on folding the stock and adding a muzzle device to get the OAL to 30 inches. Then the reinforcement plate would be a good idea.

Yeah, in the event that I move out of Komifornia I will at least have the plate already there. For the meanwhile, I'll just be fixing the stock. Thanks again, Plink!