PDA

View Full Version : PMR-30

filric48
08-04-2011, 9:12 AM
What is the boards thoughts on this pistol? Is it legal in Ca. it holds 30 rounds?

robcoe
08-04-2011, 9:15 AM
Legal, off roster but legal.

Magazines could be a problem, I haven't seen any 10 round magazines for it, so you would have to buy them as rebuild kits then somehow pin them to make them only hold 10 rounds.

Oceanbob
08-04-2011, 9:37 AM
I've heard of recall and delivery issues on this handgun. Thousands of them are on backorder with Bass Pro, Cabelas, etc. Expect to pay over-retail for one.

Bob

Boltz
08-04-2011, 10:13 AM
Looks like a cool gun, but Kel Tec's had delivery issues and now keyholing issues with it: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/08/02/kel-tec-pmr-30-ammo-recommendations/

leelaw
08-04-2011, 10:20 AM
Looks like a very fun pistol, but a single-shot conversion might be an issue, and the magazines will need to be figured out. I haven't heard of issues with the pistol until now, but I haven't been keeping an eye out for any, either.

filric48
08-04-2011, 2:18 PM
I seen some under 300.00 but they were out of stock.

Oceanbob
08-04-2011, 2:58 PM
I seen some under 300.00 but they were out of stock.

Don't kidd yourself. More like $500 and up on Gunbroker

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=245124645

InGrAM
08-04-2011, 3:13 PM
Back Ordered. I ordered this like 5 months ago and still no word.

jcaoloveshine
08-04-2011, 4:30 PM
Watched nutnfancy's test video of this gun and it was jam city.

Also have heard many complaints about fit/finish and reliability on the KELTEC OWNERS FORUM! Something's wrong when your own fanboys are complaining. There's a long list of dremel/gunsmithing that needs to be done before the gun will shoot reliably.

fourXfour
08-04-2011, 6:58 PM
I picked one up, mainly because I really want the upcoming rifle version - RMR30. If I was limited to ten rounds, the gun would not be too appealing. However, the mags are super reliable loaded to only ten rounds. I would love kel tec to come out with a ten round single stack mag. The gun isn't really a cheap plinker, ammo is almost expensive as 9mm. It does have kind a light crisp trigger.

aghauler
08-04-2011, 8:50 PM
What is the boards thoughts on this pistol? Is it legal in Ca. it holds 30 rounds?

New production model? I'd steer clear of it for awhile especially if there are "known" reports of issues. Back a few years ago when I was still an 01 FFL, GRENDEL came out with the GRENDEL 30, a 22mag 30 rd pistol. As it turned out 2/3 of those Grendel 30's I sold had so many "issues" and returns to Grendel for fixes that didn't work. I felt badly for my customer frustrations with a prodct I had hyped, I refunded the purchase price to the customers and dealt with Grendel to get MY money back, which took awhile. You notice they didn't have it production long neither did AMT. There seems to be issues with a semi auto 22 mag configuration maybe. I wouldn't get too excited about buying one until they have been around awhile, have a proven track record and the price has gotten reasonable. BB

1998 m4a1
08-05-2011, 5:39 AM
why not go with a 5-7? better ballistics and perhaps more accrate (espeically if your a long distance handgun shooter) and it can hold 30 rounds as well (if your out of cali). and you already get it legally in cali.

oh yeah, its also much more reliable and loading it is actually fun!

fourXfour
08-05-2011, 8:34 AM
New production model? I'd steer clear of it for awhile especially if there are "known" reports of issues. Back a few years ago when I was still an 01 FFL, GRENDEL came out with the GRENDEL 30, a 22mag 30 rd pistol. As it turned out 2/3 of those Grendel 30's I sold had so many "issues" and returns to Grendel for fixes that didn't work. I felt badly for my customer frustrations with a prodct I had hyped, I refunded the purchase price to the customers and dealt with Grendel to get MY money back, which took awhile. You notice they didn't have it production long neither did AMT. There seems to be issues with a semi auto 22 mag configuration maybe. I wouldn't get too excited about buying one until they have been around awhile, have a proven track record and the price has gotten reasonable. BB

The owner of Kel Tec is George Kelgren. He was also the owner of Grendel. Just different plays on his last name. This is definitely an updated version of the Grendel 30. The PMRs are definitely having issues, but I have no idea how it compares to the Grendel's issues.

aghauler
08-05-2011, 5:35 PM
The owner of Kel Tec is George Kelgren. He was also the owner of Grendel. Just different plays on his last name. This is definitely an updated version of the Grendel 30. The PMRs are definitely having issues, but I have no idea how it compares to the Grendel's issues.

Ahhh, I didn't know that about George Kelgren. The PMR's are definately better looking than the "space gun" looks of the old Grendel 30. I think the issues with the ones that came through me were they wouldn't feed reliably.
Jammed just about every or everyother round. Grendel tried to fix them and sent back to my customers the issue never did seem to go away. That's when the light went on that there might be something wrong with these new (at the time) pistols. I believed the customers as I'd known them each at least 10 years or more. Hopefully the PMRs will prove out, I've been eyeballing them but the newness is what has them on hold for me right now.

dwtt
08-05-2011, 7:34 PM
some of us who moved to a freer state can buy the regular pistol, but they were not available because Keltec had "production problems". I think they just didn't want to produce the pistol in quantity once the problems became known, but that's just my opinion. It's a good thing they are producing so few of these guns until the problems get worked out. That's assuming they are working on fixing the jamming problems some owners have discovered.

Falstaff
08-06-2011, 12:52 PM
I am definitely gonna get one as soon as they become available on bud's. I've read about the keyholing issue and it looks like they were saying it was some sorta defect with the barrels, they will replace barrel of the affected production run free of charge and I believe they said subsequent runs are OK.

aghauler
08-07-2011, 10:06 AM
I am definitely gonna get one as soon as they become available on bud's. I've read about the keyholing issue and it looks like they were saying it was some sorta defect with the barrels, they will replace barrel of the affected production run free of charge and I believe they said subsequent runs are OK.

Kinda like buying the first Edsal, jeez I shoulda waited!:D