PDA

View Full Version : anyone file down the slide stop? Update: FILE

Blackhawk556
08-03-2011, 11:15 PM
Slide stop sticks out too much and this is a big problem. My right thumb rests on it while shooting, causing the slide to not lock back after the last shot. You think I should file it down?

Dark Mod
08-03-2011, 11:22 PM
I dont see why not, its your gun. I dont suppose you would provide before and after picks?

InGrAM
08-03-2011, 11:23 PM
What kinda of pistol is it?

Blackhawk556
08-04-2011, 12:11 AM
I'll take pics and post them. I would have preferred to not do this but I don't like the idea of crossing my thumbs when ever I shoot this gun. All my other guns are fine. My m&p are more flush with the frame. This gun is a XDm.

gorenut
08-04-2011, 7:49 AM
I didn't file down my slide stop lever but that was because I was fortunate to have an alternative. I'm one of the few people that don't like the extended one on the G34. I bought the standard one on eBay for $5 shipped. Best purchase on the gun yet.

Boltz
08-04-2011, 7:57 AM
When I had an XD I bought an extended slide stop to make the stop easier to access, so my prob was the opposite. With that said, if you don't like how it feels after you file it, it's an easy to replace part.

Freq18Hz
08-04-2011, 9:03 AM
It isn't a 1911...why are you resting your thumb on the slide stop anyway?

Please remind me what's wrong with crossing your thumbs?

-Freq

G60
08-04-2011, 9:24 AM
Crossing your thumbs sucks.

Two thumbs up for thumbs forward grip.

Blackhawk556
08-04-2011, 9:37 AM
That's the problem. Its bulky and extends to the side so much my thumb just naturally sits there because it's in the way. I've been training with my thumbs pointing forward. When I pick up this gun, I have to make a mental note of being careful not to rest my fingers there and cross them. Pointing my thumbs forward is natural at this point, why change it? Hope that makes sense.

-Freq

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Blackhawk556
08-04-2011, 9:39 AM

yes! Thank you

Snoopy47
08-04-2011, 9:40 AM
-Freq

His pics has a 1911, he mentioned it was an XDm. So I'm guessing he rides the safety on the 1911 which is EXACTLY where the slide stop is on an XD.

Ergo, he's riding the slide release and it slams shut on empty. I've simply tried to remember to keep my thumb out to the left a little more.

Blackhawk556
08-04-2011, 11:59 AM
Here's some pictures comparing it to my M&P. MAJOR difference
M&P
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/du9207/Savage%20arms/XDm/5b3970ef.jpg
XDm
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/du9207/Savage%20arms/XDm/955439e0.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/du9207/Savage%20arms/XDm/04f1f27b.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/du9207/Savage%20arms/XDm/e47aea62.jpg

InGrAM
08-04-2011, 3:25 PM
I say buy a new one. File the old one down.

jonzer77
08-04-2011, 4:06 PM
That is the reason I sold my xdm45, I hated the fact that the slide would close from my grip.

Blackhawk556
08-04-2011, 9:24 PM
So I finally filed it down and it feels much better. Check out the before and after pictures.

BEFORE
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/du9207/Savage%20arms/XDm/955439e0.jpg

AFTER
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/du9207/Savage%20arms/XDm/5b1a2f3a.jpg

BEFORE
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/du9207/Savage%20arms/XDm/e47aea62.jpg

AFTER
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/du9207/Savage%20arms/XDm/db778625.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/du9207/Savage%20arms/XDm/b29a0989.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/du9207/Savage%20arms/XDm/85f71cf0.jpg

I'll post up an update in the future to see if it locks back with my finger in the normal position

Ubermcoupe
08-04-2011, 9:29 PM
Looks great!, what was your process? hand file or machine...? inquiring minds want to know.

Blackhawk556
08-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Looks great!, what was your process? hand file or machine...? inquiring minds want to know.

I used a hand file. It took me about 30 minutes. If I was to do it all over again, I would use a bigger file. Also, I had to be careful to not file the frame by accident. I taped frame around the slide stop to be on the safe side, boy am I glad I did.
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/du9207/Savage%20arms/XDm/6aa24956.jpg

Freq18Hz
08-04-2011, 11:01 PM

That's the problem. Its bulky and extends to the side so much my thumb just naturally sits there because it's in the way. I've been training with my thumbs pointing forward. When I pick up this gun, I have to make a mental note of being careful not to rest my fingers there and cross them. Pointing my thumbs forward is natural at this point, why change it? Hope that makes sense.

Remind me again when this thumbs forward thing became the only way to shoot?

I keep forgetting, before thumbs forward became the latest hype, no one could put rounds on target accurately.

To answer your question, why change yiur thumbs forward grip? Well the big answer to that is because it's causing your slide to not lock back. Not trying to be rude, by why are you shooting a weapon differently than it was designed to be operated? If you are happy with your mod, cool, but it seems awfully silly to me. I would get a different weapon, or just learn to shoot it properly. But thats just me.

-Freq

Blackhawk556
08-05-2011, 12:29 AM
This is the dumbest thing I've read in a while. When did I say thumbs forward was the only way to shoot? I said it was natural at this point but I never said it's the only way. Of all the guns I own, the xdm is the only one I have this problem with. Tell me Mr. Knowitall, what is the proper way to shot this gun? How exactly is it silly? So when people buy, say a 1911, and they change the sights, beavertail, grips, extended mag release, or something else they are silly? No, they change it may be because they have a hard time picking up the sights. Or may be they have small fingers and can't reach the mag release right away? These people are silly aren't they? They are not using the gun the way it was designed to be used. Damn troll
Remind me again when this thumbs forward thing became the only way to shoot?

I keep forgetting, before thumbs forward became the latest hype, no one could put rounds on target accurately.

To answer your question, why change yiur thumbs forward grip? Well the big answer to that is because it's causing your slide to not lock back. Not trying to be rude, by why are you shooting a weapon differently than it was designed to be operated? If you are happy with your mod, cool, but it seems
silly to me. I would get a different weapon, or just learn to shoot it properly. But thats just me.

-Freq

JTROKS
08-05-2011, 6:36 AM
If you're happy with the results then you did the right thing. Filing your right thumb wasn't an option.

WatsonGravy
08-05-2011, 9:43 AM
I have to agree with Blackhawk on this one. If your natural grip is thumbs forward then stick with it. I would hate to have different grip styles for every gun I own. Making a minor change to the gun is the best route in your situation. Selling a gun because of something this minor is just plain crazy.

Freq18Hz
08-05-2011, 10:59 AM
This is the dumbest thing I've read in a while. When did I say thumbs forward was the only way to shoot? I said it was natural at this point but I never said it's the only way. Of all the guns I own, the xdm is the only one I have this problem with. Tell me Mr. Knowitall, what is the proper way to shot this gun? How exactly is it silly? So when people buy, say a 1911, and they change the sights, beavertail, grips, extended mag release, or something else they are silly? No, they change it may be because they have a hard time picking up the sights. Or may be they have small fingers and can't reach the mag release right away? These people are silly aren't they? They are not using the gun the way it was designed to be used. Damn troll

Not trying to troll you, sorry if my post sounded combative.

My point, which I failed to articulate is, if thumbs forward is how you naturally shoot, why did you buy this particular gun? I would seem to me, that if you naturally shoot a certain way, why not buy something that works out of the box for you?

Likewise, I can see why people modify things. Yet at the same time, I wonder, if they bought a gun that they wanted to change every part out on, why didn't they just buy a different one? This goes for cars as well.

In any case, like I said, if its working better for you, then I'm glad.

The other point I failed to articulate, which is outside the scope of this thread, is that I see a lot of people talking about thumbs forward shooting. Brian Enos this and that. If you naturally shoot thumbs forward, then do what you gotta do. But I see a lot of people trying to subscribe to the latest greatest hyped philosophy, because it works for someone else. Shooting is a martial art. Lot's of people tried to copy, learn, and master Bruce Lee's style. The difference at the end of the day was though, regardless of style, Bruce Lee was just a great martial artist. People subscribe to "thumbs forward is better" because Brian Enos is a fantastic shooter.

Only you really know what works for you, and if you are being honest with yourself about what does and does not come naturally. But I think we can both agree, if you are at a high level of proficiency, and know yourself as a shooter, that choosing a weapon that interferes with how you naturally shoot is a peculiar choice.

No offense meant at all, and happy shooting!

-Freq

Wildeman_13
08-05-2011, 11:20 AM
It must just be the XDm style release, because I don't recall my XD's release being in the way and I shoot thumbs forward as you describe. I have put thousands of rounds downrange with no issues on the XD. I'm trying to find some decent pics of the XD to compare but I guess I will just have to check it out when I get home. But from the few I have found it does seem like they put a "thicker" release button on the XDm.

Glad to see you found a workable solution that hopefully fixes the problem.

stormvet
08-05-2011, 3:09 PM
Here you go pic of an XD and XDM slide-lock together. OP I have the same problem with my XDm and also with the XD but to a much lesser extent. I much prefer the XD slide-lock to the XDm. I have planed to do the same to mine or see if the XD SL can be made to work in the XDm. But because it is not a carry gun, mostly a range and training gun it keeps getting put on the back burner.

The pic.
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z207/2814V/DSCN1589.jpg

Blackhawk556
08-05-2011, 4:35 PM
The XD has the flat slide lock which is what mine looks like now. When I owned a XD, I never had this problem. I'll probably be going to the range on tuesday so I'll know by then if the problem is fixed.

At least I know I'm not the only one having this issue with the XDm.
Thanks for posting the pics.

Here you go pic of an XD and XDM slide-lock together. OP I have the same problem with my XDm and also with the XD but to a much lesser extent. I much prefer the XD slide-lock to the XDm. I have planed to do the same to mine or see if the XD SL can be made to work in the XDm. But because it is not a carry gun, mostly a range and training gun it keeps getting put on the back burner.

The pic.
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z207/2814V/DSCN1589.jpg

Ksmash01
08-05-2011, 5:43 PM
When I saw that slide release, It basically ruled out the XDm for me...that thing is too fat, and I don't want to modify the little things to suit my needs. Oh well.....:rolleyes:

But seriously, that thing is fat, and I'm glad you made sense out of that part. I would think that it would be counter intuitive to add width in that manner, as well as uncomfortable if it were carried in a holster that didn't cover the slide release.

I see where it does work out, for people with gloves, or to add surface area to ensure that the slide release would feel more positive. I don't work with guns and gloves, so I wouldn't need a release that fat.

Thanks for making me feel better about having my M&Ps OP, and not so bad about the hoops I would have to jump through to file my slide release down like yours...:D

Blackhawk556
08-05-2011, 7:37 PM
No problem.
look at my avatar and see how many M&Ps I own and how many XDMs I own. You'll see which platform i prefer :D

When I saw that slide release, It basically ruled out the XDm for me...that thing is too fat, and I don't want to modify the little things to suit my needs. Oh well.....:rolleyes:

But seriously, that thing is fat, and I'm glad you made sense out of that part. I would think that it would be counter intuitive to add width in that manner, as well as uncomfortable if it were carried in a holster that didn't cover the slide release.

I see where it does work out, for people with gloves, or to add surface area to ensure that the slide release would feel more positive. I don't work with guns and gloves, so I wouldn't need a release that fat.

Thanks for making me feel better about having my M&Ps OP, and not so bad about the hoops I would have to jump through to file my slide release down like yours...:D

Ksmash01
08-06-2011, 3:35 PM
No problem.
look at my avatar and see how many M&Ps I own and how many XDMs I own. You'll see which platform i prefer :D

I did notice you added another M&P to your avatar pic ;) . Are they both 9mm?

There are only 2 pistols on your avatar that I don't have, th XDm and the CZ. But my M&P9L and my S&W1911sc Commander are good substitutes :D .

So, way off topic, but what do you like better between the CZ, 1911, and the XDm? If you could rank them 1,2, and 3 what would the order be in your case?

Blitzburgh
08-14-2011, 6:38 PM
why change yiur thumbs forward grip? Well the big answer to that is because it's causing your slide to not lock back. Not trying to be rude, by why are you shooting a weapon differently than it was designed to be operated? If you are happy with your mod, cool, but it seems awfully silly to me. I would get a different weapon, or just learn to shoot it properly. But thats just me.

-Freq

One of the dumbest posts I've ever read.

ir0nclash86
02-02-2012, 10:05 AM
The XD has the flat slide lock which is what mine looks like now. When I owned a XD, I never had this problem. I'll probably be going to the range on tuesday so I'll know by then if the problem is fixed.

At least I know I'm not the only one having this issue with the XDm.
Thanks for posting the pics.

Any upate on shooting this with the slide stop filed down? I'm having issues with mine as well. I have to lift the tip of my thumb up so It doesn't interfere with the slide stop.

melensdad
02-02-2012, 10:12 AM
Slide stop sticks out too much and this is a big problem. My right thumb rests on it while shooting, causing the slide to not lock back after the last shot. You think I should file it down?

I have some guns that were specifically made with a low profile slide stop. There is really no reason why you can't file one down.

This is a 1980's era Detonics MK VII CombatMaster, they were made with a filed down slide stop and a filed down thumb safety. It may not be overly apparent in the photo below but its the best one I have that shows them. Both are about 1/8th inch thinner than a standard slide stop and thumb safety. They were made specifically for concealed carry. I think its fairly easy to see the 'flattened' shape of the thumb safety in this photo.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/melensdad/guns/3-1.jpg

Lead Waster
02-02-2012, 10:29 AM
My right thumb rests on it while shooting, causing the slide to not lock back after the last shot. You think I should file it down?

Dude, filing down your thumb is an extreme overreaction. I suggest finding another solution.

:p

Lead Waster
02-02-2012, 10:32 AM
Oh, BTW, I've been slowly indoctrinated to releasing the slide using the sling-shot method on the slide itself and not using the slide stop. So FOR ME, filing down the slide stop that interferes with your shooting grip is the way to go. It's a range gun, right? You won't be in any crazy hollywood movie shootout where you are trying to reload with one hand, right?

Blackhawk556
02-02-2012, 6:46 PM
After shooting it several times after this, it shoots fine. I have no issues with the slide not locking back anymore. I'm 100% sure my "thumbs forward" was to blame. I'm not changing my grip :)

Blackhawk556
02-02-2012, 7:03 PM
@@@@@ironclash86......when you lift your thumbs does this solve the issue? If yes, then you might want to look into filing the slide stop or buying a low profile one. By filing the slide stop, you won't be harming anything inside the gun so you don't have to worry about affecting the reliability. It's not like you're filing the trigger bar or something important.

ir0nclash86
02-02-2012, 7:37 PM
@@@@@ironclash86......when you lift your thumbs does this solve the issue? If yes, then you might want to look into filing the slide stop or buying a low profile one. By filing the slide stop, you won't be harming anything inside the gun so you don't have to worry about affecting the reliability. It's not like you're filing the trigger bar or something important.

Yeah lifting the tip of my thumb solves the problem but it feels weird doing it. I know filing it wont affect the reliability of the gun, I just wanted to make sure filing it down solved the problem. I didnt wanna file it down and realize it didnt help. Thanks for the response though. I'm going to start dremeling it down tonight.

ojisan
02-02-2012, 7:41 PM
I like seeing people try something new and do it themselves.
If you like a gun there is no reason you should not modify it to fit and work better for you.
:thumbsup:

Necessity is the mother of invention.
:oji:

Now you need a dab of cold blue on that bare spot...

Blackhawk556
02-02-2012, 8:16 PM
Make sure you tape the frame and remove the slide before filing it down. If anyone is interested in my xdm, it's in the marketplace. Unfortunately I don't like the trigger and the sights.

ir0nclash86
02-02-2012, 8:40 PM
I went ahead and remove the slide stop from the frame. My dremel died within 10 seconds of use haha so now it's charging. I'm gonna change it up to look like a glock slide stop... super slim and small.