PDA

View Full Version : CA resident buying a gun in NV?

TennDECA
08-03-2011, 9:54 PM
Sorry for the newbie-like question, but I've never had to deal with this issue. I have a friend that is a California resident, with a California carry permit. He is temporarily living in Nevada for school and wants to buy a firearm. Can he buy a firearm in Nevada as a California resident, assuming that the firearm is also legal to own in California? I'm assuming he'd buy from a FFL'd dealer and not a private sale.

SJgunguy24
08-03-2011, 10:02 PM
Yep you can buy a gun anywhere you wish, you cannot take delivery of said firearm until you file a DROS and a 4473 at your local FFL.

TennDECA
08-03-2011, 10:05 PM
So he could walk into a gun store in Reno, show them his CA DL, and buy any handgun or long gun in the store, but would have to file a DROS and 4473 with a CA FFL first, and provide the Reno dealer with the CA dealer's contact info so the Reno dealer could varify his status prior to pickup?

PRCABR4Christ
08-03-2011, 10:58 PM
as a short answer, no, I don't believe so, I'm sure there's more people around that are more knowledgeable than me, but a few years ago I tried this, and I was told that if I bought it in NV I would be required to ship it to a CA FFL, so he might as well just buy it in CA, less paperwork :puke: also, if it's of the off list guns, well we won't go there lol

Librarian
08-03-2011, 11:13 PM
So he could walk into a gun store in Reno, show them his CA DL, and buy any handgun or long gun in the store, but would have to file a DROS and 4473 with a CA FFL first, and provide the Reno dealer with the CA dealer's contact info so the Reno dealer could varify his status prior to pickup?

Not quite - has to have the gun shipped to a CA-FFL, and can only take possession in CA.

See also the Calguns Foundation Wiki articles on

Interstate transfer - http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transferring_firearms_Interstate

JanG
08-04-2011, 10:45 PM
can't he claim residency in nevada for school?

marker
08-04-2011, 11:27 PM
yes but he needs proper documentation of this for the 4473

morrcarr67
08-05-2011, 5:28 AM

Yes, but he will also need a NV ID of some sort. Other than his collage ID.

Shenaniguns
08-05-2011, 8:20 AM
I was going to ask if there was a way I could purchase a firearm in Nevada Private Party that will stay at my fathers home in Nevada and will not come to California.

CSACANNONEER
08-05-2011, 8:28 AM
I was going to ask if there was a way I could purchase a firearm in Nevada Private Party that will stay at my fathers home in Nevada and will not come to California.

If you are a NV resident than yes, you can. If you are not a resident of NV, you must follow federal laws which means, you must follow the laws in the state of purchase and your state of residency. You will need to go through a CA FFL in order to receive the firearm PERIOD!

Shenaniguns
08-05-2011, 8:30 AM
If you are a NV resident than yes, you can. If you are not a resident of NV, you must follow federal laws which means, you must follow the laws in the state of purchase and your state of residency. You will need to go through a CA FFL in order to receive the firearm PERIOD!

That's what i figured so I never felt like bothering.

tozan
08-05-2011, 8:44 AM

This sounds like the solution if he is going to school for at least 6 months or more just get a DL become a resident and go on a buying spree...

CSACANNONEER
08-05-2011, 8:44 AM
Of course, your father could always buy a firearm in the state he is a resident of and give it to you as a gift. Or, he could keep it and let you borrow it from time to time.

Shenaniguns
08-05-2011, 8:49 AM
Of course, your father could always buy a firearm in the state he is a resident of and give it to you as a gift. Or, he could keep it and let you borrow it from time to time.

I just shoot the stuff they have there, but I wish i was able to by a Barrett and store it there.

CSACANNONEER
08-05-2011, 8:58 AM
I just shoot the stuff they have there, but I wish i was able to by a Barrett and store it there.

Why not get a precision 50 instead of a Barrett? I strongly suggest that before you buy any 50BMG rifle, you joing the FCSA and do a little research. There are many less expensive and more precise shooting 50s out there.

CK_32
08-05-2011, 8:59 AM
They will have to ship it to your local FFL and most won't sell to you for the hastle or lack of knowlage of gun laws.... Just buy one here... It will save you time and money..

I know I've tried. 4 just said no and one guy was going to charge me an arm and a leg for him to send it to my local FFL.

Shenaniguns
08-05-2011, 9:01 AM
Why not get a precision 50 instead of a Barrett? I strongly suggest that before you buy any 50BMG rifle, you joing the FCSA and do a little research. There are many less expensive and more precise shooting 50s out there.

It's not anything I'm looking at seriously at the moment, I like shooting his neighbors M82A1 which we were consistently hitting an ~18x18" metal plate at over 1,100 yards. It was fun :D

CK_32
08-05-2011, 9:01 AM
And I agree above barrel has the big name from video games and movies. Look at the McMillan tac 50.

Barrets are great guns don't get me wrong but everyone wants one like they want an ak47 or a glock... Because the movies and tv always uses them and because they are the best guns ever :rolleyes:

HK Dave
08-05-2011, 9:03 AM
What i'm wondering is, why your friend didn't just take his gun with him to NV in the first place.

Shenaniguns
08-05-2011, 9:03 AM
Well it's one of the only .50 BMG's I have experience with, sorry i brought it up lol.

bsg
08-05-2011, 11:34 AM
Not quite - has to have the gun shipped to a CA-FFL, and can only take possession in CA.

See also the Calguns Foundation Wiki articles on

Interstate transfer - http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transferring_firearms_Interstate

+1.

CSACANNONEER
08-05-2011, 2:51 PM
Well it's one of the only .50 BMG's I have experience with, sorry i brought it up lol.

If you want to see some other 50s in action, August 19th-21st is aa FCSA match in Palimino Valley (outside of Reno). Since you're interested and only 4 hours away, I'll suggest that you go out there on Friday and just hang around and watch people sighting in and getting a little practise before the match. We typically shoot at clay pigeons on the 1000 yard berm during sight in day. Unfortunately, I'm not going to make it this time or I'd let you shoot both of mine. If you go, tell everyone "hi" for me. Oh yea, the match dirrector is shooting a Barrett 99.

Shenaniguns
08-05-2011, 3:22 PM
Thanks for the offer!

GregC
08-14-2011, 12:30 PM
A few years ago (when the Cheytec 408 was still a wildcat round), a custom rifle builder told me the 408 Cheytec round has more energy at 1500 meters than a 50 BMG has coming out of the muzzle. He said he shot a pig 1.6 miles away. Just food for thought.

aghauler
08-14-2011, 6:37 PM

You can get a NV ID card while keeping your CA DL. I worked with a fella that did this claiming alternating CA - NV residence. That way he avoided the CA commuter permit we are supposed to buy to "commute" to work in NV. Also negated him doing jury duty as he was always "living in another state". Just need a NV residence address to get the NV ID card.

huntercf
08-14-2011, 7:37 PM
Someone correct me if I am wrong, in reading the laws regarding buying firearms out of state I see that there is an exception for rifles and shotguns (this includes CA) as long as a DROS is done (it doesn't say the DROS has to be done in CA). When I was in WA last month a gun dealer said I could buy a rifle or shotgun and take it with me but a pistol would have to be shipped to a CA FFL. He also told me I could buy a .50BMG but would have to leave it in WA and come visit it.

mes227
08-14-2011, 7:45 PM
Someone correct me if I am wrong, in reading the laws regarding buying firearms out of state I see that there is an exception for rifles and shotguns (this includes CA) as long as a DROS is done (it doesn't say the DROS has to be done in CA). When I was in WA last month a gun dealer said I could buy a rifle or shotgun and take it with me but a pistol would have to be shipped to a CA FFL. He also told me I could buy a .50BMG but would have to leave it in WA and come visit it.

Correct, but it depends on the laws in the state where you plan on buying a long gun. Nevada has prohibited sale of any gun to California residents but they changed that this spring. Effective Oct. 1st this year, any Nevada FFL can sell any long gun that is legal in Calif to any Calif resident. They cannot sell long guns banned in Calif, like .50BMGs, even if you plan on leaving it in Nevada.

huntercf
08-14-2011, 7:55 PM
Correct, but it depends on the laws in the state where you plan on buying a long gun. Nevada has prohibited sale of any gun to California residents but they changed that this spring. Effective Oct. 1st this year, any Nevada FFL can sell any long gun that is legal in Calif to any Calif resident. They cannot sell long guns banned in Calif, like .50BMGs, even if you plan on leaving it in Nevada.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was kind of surprised to hear that when I was in WA, I am so used to seeing signs like "No firearm sales to CA residents", last few times I was in AK that was at every gun store (including Walmart). CA residents can buy .50BMG's in WA, but they tell you not to take it across the border.

Quiet
08-15-2011, 6:38 AM
NV classifies out-of-state students as "seasonal residents" and will issue a NV Seasonal Resident ID card.

As of 02-2010, per the NV DPS & BATFE, the NV Seasonal Resident ID is no longer valid (proof of residency) for conducting firearm transfers in NV.

You can get a NV ID card while keeping your CA DL. I worked with a fella that did this claiming alternating CA - NV residence. That way he avoided the CA commuter permit we are supposed to buy to "commute" to work in NV. Also negated him doing jury duty as he was always "living in another state". Just need a NV residence address to get the NV ID card.

NV now requires you to surrender your DL/ID in order to get a NV DL or NV ID.
If you want to retain your DL/ID, NV will issue you a NV Seasonal Resident ID (which can not be legally used to transfer firearms in NV).

Quiet
08-15-2011, 6:43 AM

Federal laws [18 USC 922(a)(3) & (5)] prohibits the transfer of firearm between non-licensed residents of different states, unless the transfer is done through a FFL dealer in the recipiant's state of residence.

Federal laws [18 USC 922(b)(3)] allow a FFL dealer to transfer a rifle/shotgun to a non-resident, as long as the transfer complies with the state laws of both the FFL dealer and the non-resident.

CA laws require all firearm transfers to be done through a CA FFL dealer.
Therefore, a FFL dealer in another state can not legally transfer a firearm to a CA resident and would have to ship any firearm the CA resident purchases to a CA FFL dealer, who will complete the transfer to the CA resident.

18 USC 922
(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver—
(3) any firearm to any person who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the licensee’s place of business is located, except that this paragraph (A) shall not apply to the sale or delivery of any rifle or shotgun to a resident of a State other than a State in which the licensee’s place of business is located if the transferee meets in person with the transferor to accomplish the transfer, and the sale, delivery, and receipt fully comply with the legal conditions of sale in both such States (and any licensed manufacturer, importer or dealer shall be presumed, for purposes of this subparagraph, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, to have had actual knowledge of the State laws and published ordinances of both States), and (B) shall not apply to the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;

Moto4Fun
08-15-2011, 6:27 PM
If I were going to college in NV I would get a NV DL. I am sure there are other benefits beyond buying guns.

stilly
08-15-2011, 11:24 PM
It's not anything I'm looking at seriously at the moment, I like shooting his neighbors M82A1 which we were consistently hitting an ~18x18" metal plate at over 1,100 yards. It was fun :D

Seriously?

Maybe I missed something here but why on earth would anyone care to shoot at a target that is 1100 yards away just to have to go over and check it every few shots? That is like, a LOT of walking. I would not even care to walk 1100 yards to set the thing up, then I get back to the range and find some homeless jerk made off with all of my stuff... 1100 yards, wow. That is like over a mile walking to and from the target.

More power to you for doing that. I wish I had a range that nice out here.

generalpetres
08-16-2011, 3:54 AM
most people shooting at these distances dont walk to their targets they usually drive out. also what is wrong with shooting targets at long distances, it takes more skill to hit a 1100 yard target then something at 100 yards so if you could make the shot over and over then more power to ya. I cant blame the op for liking the m82a1 it is an awesome rifle got to see one in vegas. price wise you could do beter with a bolt action but knowing you have the ability to make quick follow up shots is nice as well. i was just in reno for hot august nights.

huntercf
08-16-2011, 5:18 PM
Seriously?

Maybe I missed something here but why on earth would anyone care to shoot at a target that is 1100 yards away just to have to go over and check it every few shots? That is like, a LOT of walking. I would not even care to walk 1100 yards to set the thing up, then I get back to the range and find some homeless jerk made off with all of my stuff... 1100 yards, wow. That is like over a mile walking to and from the target.

More power to you for doing that. I wish I had a range that nice out here.

Why did sir Edmund Hillary climb Mt. Everest...the challenge. Just about anyone can hit a target at 100 yds but 1100 yds now that is a challenge, plus if you are using a large caliber rifle like a .50 or .416 then most probably don't mind only sending a few rounds to the target because they are around $5 each.

stilly
08-18-2011, 11:47 AM
We are sheltered out here. Since the damn tweakers stole our aluminum shade, stole out chain link fence, stole the chains and lock, stole the steel door off of the block building that housed all the targets and stuff, knocked down the walls to steal the rebar, cut the lines from the telephone poles to steal the cable and copper, I have always been afraid that some homeless tweaker would steal all of my stuff by the time I got back to my truck. I will not even go down range without my .45 on my belt but I know that I am not good enough with it to shoot at someone stealing my stuff at 1100 yards out. Of course the largest spot on our range is about 110 yards currently.

When I was at the Rock Pile you could not drive to the 300 yard mark. You had to walk. I just figured that everyone else had to walk too. I was like, HELL NO. I aint gonna walk to the 300 mark. That was uphill and everything.

Oh that is great if you can do that. Hey more power to you. Maybe I am just jealous that the City does not give a damn about the City range and nothing has really been done about all the theft. Soon it will just be a bump in the middle of the county and it will be hard to go there and shoot.

But the homeless tweakers out here are like the Xenomorphs from Aliens, they just pop up out of the woodwork! I never know what rock or bush they are hiding behind.

:(

Maybe I should have just said "wow". :cool:

mes227
01-09-2012, 1:44 PM
Becoming a NV reside
T is as sims as showing up at DMV and saying so. He'll walk out with Both a driver's license and a lower tax bill.

rdmax
01-09-2012, 6:04 PM
I moved to Florida a few years ago and gave up my California drivers license to get a Florida drivers license. I came back to California as a resident a few years later. I find out when getting a new California drivers license, they never canceled by drivers license and since it was still valid, they just gave me a new card with an updated photo. So, go change your residency and pay no income tax in Nevada. You are basically there as a resident. Now you can buy almost anything you want and bring it back to CA when you move back. You can probably get a concealed carry permit while you are in Nevada. DMV will treat you as if you never left CA when you come back as long as your old CA license has not expired.

EOD Guy
01-10-2012, 9:17 AM
As far as the BATF and Federal law are concerned, if he is living in Nevada and going to school there, he is a resident of Nevada while he is going to school. When he returns to California during breaks or when he finishes school, he is a California resident.

See the link for ATF Ruling 80-21.

ATF Ruling 80-21 (http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-80-21.pdf)