PDA

View Full Version : Desert Eagle .44 mag Good for home defense?

Alan Block
08-02-2011, 8:05 PM
Son wants one. I pointed out the overpenetration issue. Anything else Positive or negative on this choice?

DannyInSoCal
08-02-2011, 8:11 PM
Negatives:

It will cost about $200 a month to stay sharp with it.
Follow up shots will have long lag times

Positives:

Dad's paying for it so who cares what it costs.

PS: If he had to buy it and feed it - He wouldn't pick a sidearm based on a video game...

JeremyS
08-02-2011, 8:14 PM
It's more than a bit unwieldy. I don't really understand buying a Desert Eagle, a gun made famous for being .50 cal, in another caliber. Certainly intimidating.

...and although I admit to having a handgun for HD purposes right now, due to selling my 18" 870 pump to fund a nice O/U for sporting clays purposes, a short barrel pump action 12 gauge shotgun is THE choice for HD... not any handgun.

NapaCountyShooter
08-02-2011, 8:20 PM
Definitely wouldn't be my first choice. I'd go for a simple double action revolver in .44 mag with specials loaded up for SD, a .357, or a .45/40/9/10mm semi auto of your choosing. Of course all of this is trumped by a good 12 gauge shotgun like a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500/590.

phamkl
08-02-2011, 8:24 PM
Sure.

So long as you're sure it's reliable.

CSACANNONEER
08-02-2011, 8:31 PM
If I needed to defend myself in a video game, it might be a good choice. Other than that, I would never own one for any reason. They are a PITA to break down and clean. They are big and bulky and just not a good choice for anything except bragging to other gamers about.

InGrAM
08-02-2011, 8:35 PM
WAY TO BIG!!

The deagle is a movie prop.

Daggermouth
08-02-2011, 8:44 PM
Looks cool but pretty hard to shoot, and you have to have pretty large hands to do simple tasks like de-cock it. Feel it out at a local shop, other than the bragging factor at the range there's not much else to brag about it. Clunky, heavy, big recoil, over penetration... Not a home defense gun.

realgreenfire
08-02-2011, 8:45 PM
every time ive ever seen a desert eagle outside of a gun store all i can think of is "crappy airsoft gun! HAHA!" at least until i hear the bang and report from the hillsides, just get him a shotgun if he wants self defense, and with the extra 1500 you saved buy him a 9 or 45 and some ammo to go plink with at the range :)

yoitsbruce
08-02-2011, 8:48 PM
good choice

ninjawho?
08-02-2011, 8:48 PM
If you have to ask......no.

PRCABR4Christ
08-02-2011, 8:50 PM
I will say that's a negative...

The caliber choice, flash, weight, and size are all working against you, and here's why...

1. .44 is a great round...but it is not for home defense, over penetration WILL occur and WILL go through some walls, not to mention if you miss, by choosing a .44 you are putting your neighbors and family at unnecessary risk, if you want something big get a .45
2. The flash from the high powered round WILL mess up your night time vision, if you miss with that first shot, subsequent shots will be much more difficult to place after you regain your front sight
3. The recoil is moderate to high, making follow up shots slower than conventional modern autoloaders
4. I carry a 40oz gun every day, and I don't even want to clear a building with a desert eagle, they're freaking heavy and long and cumbersome
5. Do you have night vision? If not, how will you hold a flashlight AND make clean shots with a powerful handgun? If you go the desert eagle route, PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!

WTSGDYBBR
08-02-2011, 8:56 PM
I own a Desert Eagle .44 mag every time I shoot it I tell myself how I would hate to be shot by one. It would work great for home deference it would blow someone brain into the next room

CSACANNONEER
08-02-2011, 9:02 PM
I own a Desert Eagle .44 mag every time I shoot it I tell myself how I would hate to be shot by one. It would work great for home deference it would blow someone brain into the next room

How would it be any different than a .44 mag revolver?

PRCABR4Christ
08-02-2011, 9:04 PM

what you mean is "the next 3 houses" LOL

mcat707
08-02-2011, 9:05 PM
IMO.. Desert Eagles (50AE & 44mag) are good for collector pieces, range toys, and for action movies. Sure they can be used for home defense but how effective will your son be with it? With so many other options out there, why choose the D.E. for home defense? You should have your son read this thread.

redcliff
08-02-2011, 9:15 PM
The problem with semi-auto magnum handguns is their lack of versatility due to requiring specific loads in order to properly function.

A 44magnum revolver with hot 44 special loads is a viable home defense option, although not my first choice. A .44 magnum Desert Eagle with hot .44 special loads is a big, unwieldy, manually operated repeater.

kazman
08-02-2011, 9:17 PM
Yes, in Alaska against bears

CC Gunsmithing
08-02-2011, 9:23 PM
:iagree:
Anything except a desert eagle... They're nice pistols for sure, but IMOHO the deagle is far too heavy and awkward to try to use for home defense... A .45 is great for stopping power without over penetration, and just about any other frame will be lighter, and easier to wield in bung- pucker situations... For the price, you can also get a superior quality 1911, FN, Smith /Dan Wesson, Sig Sauer, and have some money left over to take it out to the range for a test drive...

lear60man
08-02-2011, 9:40 PM
For the love of Petes Sake. NO! And I own one! Its cool to blow stuff up at the range and thats about it. Way to heavy in any sort of combat situation. By the time he draws it up, half awake, the bad guy will be on top of him.

It sounds like he REAAALLLLY wants one. Fine, buy him one to get his jollies out. Then buy him a cheap double action simple revolver for home defense.

With that said, it is a fantastic handgun and breaks down in seconds.

Iskra
08-02-2011, 9:45 PM
.357 wheelgun. He can shoot lots of .38 spl cheaply to stay good at it. Easy to point & shoot in the dark, no safties or grips or trigger buttons to deal with. Makes a big bang and a big flash and puts a big hole in the BG.

Alan Block
08-03-2011, 12:06 AM
This is on his dime. I have a Colt 1911 and a Beretta 92.

gti_20ae
08-03-2011, 12:29 AM
You have to be a really good shooter to use deagle for HD, there is a really high chance you can shoot a follow up shot because of FTE.

resident-shooter
08-03-2011, 12:40 AM
If every shot hits the baddies, then heck yez !!!

However like others said, overpenetration is a significant drawback. Stick with a pistol cartridge or .38

Ryan in SD
08-03-2011, 1:04 AM
This thread blows my mind.

I suppose if you are the size of arnold and the recoil is relative, ie. 44 mag = 9mm to arnie.

stix213
08-03-2011, 1:46 AM
No one even mentioned yet their well known unreliability, which is pretty much a deal breaker for a save your life defense pistol.

I admit I've only ever once shot a DE, and it was in .50, but even that one broke while we were shooting it (it stopped feeding rounds halfway through shooting it, we had to load them 1 at a time after that).

Your son sounds like he plays too many video games if he wants the Counter Strike game handgun. Have him shoot a variety of pistols and see what he likes. He probably won't go for a revolver cause that isn't movie cool enough anymore, but maybe he'd go for a 1911 or something along those lines that actually has a self defense track record to stand on.

If he would consider a magnum revolver, I'd steer him toward something like a S&W 686 .357 magnum. He can shoot .38 specials all day long in that thing relatively cheap, and .38 special can be used for self defense. .38 Special +P used to be the standard round used by the FBI, with a good track record. Plus he can step it up to full power .357 magnum rounds for anything from home self defense to wildlife protection.

Markus
08-03-2011, 2:44 AM
I wouldnt choose one for SD. Its too expensive, cumbersome, and unreliable. Id go for one of the more popular $500ish guns like an XD Glock or CZ. Any caliber from 9mm on up should be more than adequate. Thats all if youve decided on a handgun you could just get a mossberg 500 or remington 870 for about $300 and call it a day.

bw762308
08-03-2011, 5:21 AM
Let him get one, figure out for himself it is just unsuitable for hd, then sell it cheap here :):p

cineski
08-03-2011, 5:24 AM
Never buy a gun based on looks or a video game. Never buy a gun based on a what a little boy wants. Even a slightly grown up little boy ;-).

taloft
08-03-2011, 5:35 AM
The only up side to using a Desert Eagle is that when it jams, it is heavy enough to knock out the bad guy when you throw it at them.:p

Stick with the basics. Shotgun would be my first choice, followed by a revolver. Both are very reliable, have a simple manual of arms, and will get the job done.

Knife Edge
08-03-2011, 6:34 AM
Horrible choice. Reliability is terrible in the .44 variant. If you want a good HD pistol, $499 Glock in .40 and get a TLR or Surefire for it.

I own a Desert Eagle and friends love to shoot it, the .50 is quite fun and reliable, poor HD choice. Not sure why I even have the .44 barrel for it.

Eat Dirt
08-03-2011, 6:37 AM
Desert Eagle .44 mag Good for home defense?
-------------------------------------------------------

Against What ??

Godzilla ...............................

Black Majik
08-03-2011, 7:01 AM
For a .44 it's actually really manageable. But slow splits and being unwiedly doesn't make it a suitable HD gun.

And the fact you'll make 1/2 your neighborhood deaf for a week. On the bright side, if he misses the BG he'll muzzle flash them blind.

crazychinaman
08-03-2011, 7:07 AM
I Have three of them,They are fun to shoot at indoor ranges.Crowds love the look and size.But for Home defense,NO WAY JOSE.Get a revolver or any semi pistol.Glock,1911etc.

a1c
08-03-2011, 7:13 AM
That's like buying him a fully loaded Dodge Challenger as his first car. It makes zero sense.

scarville
08-03-2011, 7:30 AM
If he wants a gun he can show off to his buddies and look kewl while doing it, them a Desert Eagle is on the short list. After all the odds he will ever shoot it outside a range are pretty small. The Glock 22 is probably more practical and, I think, in with the kewl kids too -- Dis be a Glock Fotay! I be the only Lolcat profsnal enuf to uze it!

If he wants a useful gun for HD and can handle the derision from gamers and gun forum lolcats with their vast experience at dispatching digital zombies, get a S&W 686 or a Ruger GP-100. Heck, with a 6" bbl they even look pretty badazz.

http://www.imfdb.org/w/images/thumb/3/3b/B36862.jpg/600px-B36862.jpg

JTROKS
08-03-2011, 7:48 AM
I had 2 DEs, A 357 and a 44 mag. They are finicky with ammunition - must be powerful enough to cycle gun and no exposed lead at the base of the bullet. Both of the DEs I had required magnum loads with heavy bullets to ensure reliability. Your son will be better served by a smaller handgun in 45 or 40 caliber.

Wita09
08-03-2011, 8:54 AM
No. It can perform the task but you got a lot better options.

Beemerguy
08-03-2011, 9:23 AM
I've had a .50 and a .44 mag DE for about 2 years now. It took several hundred rounds to break in. I haven't had a stove pipe or FTF in about a year and I shoot a lot.

But I live in a condo so yeah, I use something else for home def.

FXR
08-03-2011, 9:26 AM
I had a DE briefly; it's hard to overstate how big they are in the hand. My hands are big but I never felt like I had an optimal grip, and the safety is not intuitive or comfortable. For the size and weight, 8 (9? I can't remember) rounds is unacceptably few. As mentioned, cost of staying proficient would be astronomical. For the price he could buy a Glock in .45 or 10mm and an 870, and ammo for each.

n0xname
08-03-2011, 9:26 AM
If ur gonna get a DE then get the .50cal for bragging rights. I've had both and sold it about 4 months ago....most indoor ranges won't allow anything over 44mag.

starsnuffer
08-03-2011, 9:29 AM
DE's are great for home defense. I believe in darwinism, and if some idiot gets nailed in their home because they chose their tool poorly, the gene pool is better off. The over penetration helps with the peak human problem as well.

Now that we've got that macho BS out of the way, let's not kid each other and just say that this guy wants this pistol for HD. "Does he have a shotgun already?" should be the first question.

-W

Mr.1904
08-03-2011, 10:27 AM
Yes, in Alaska against bears

haha. touche

Jalibass
08-03-2011, 12:13 PM
Not sure if anyone covered this already but shooting a magnum handgun indoors especially in a bedroom would cause severe permanent hearing damage. Coupled with what others mentioned such as cost to purchase, cost to maintain proficiency, over penetration and follow up shots it should be a huge no.

Wanting a desert eagle for home protection alerts me to the possibility of a status symbol or conversation piece. In which case I predict the gun gets stolen from him showing everyone who comes over.

I'll try to find the article, but someone with an impressive background (maybe special forces, secret service... can't remember) wrote an article which concluded that if you have to use a handgun in a home invasion, 10 things have gone wrong. One great point he made was that for the monthly cost of ammo and for some range time you could install a monitored security system. For the cost of your average handgun you could install a steel security bedroom door. He also stated an 18" barreled 12ga with shoulder stock was the top of the food chain in a home invasion. The sound of it being racked might stop the invasion all together.

I'll always have my .45 along side me as I sleep but it will take time to train myself to reach for the 12ga instead. Maybe I grew up in the era of movies, I'm not sure. I know the 12 is the better choice but anytime I've ever been awakened during the night my first thought is always to feel for my .45.

TangoCharlie
08-03-2011, 12:23 PM
You can always tell a person's knowledge, experience and skill by the choice they make for an HD gun.

The Desert Eagle is not a good choice for so many reasons. Make a smarter choice for you son.

21SF
08-03-2011, 12:42 PM
They are super unreliable, need heavy loads to cycle (think rifle action).

Still want one, but not for HD.

GEt him a glock in his choice of caliber.

Then save the 1000 you didnt spend and have him save for the rest (around 500-600) and see if he still wants it.

gmotoring
08-03-2011, 1:00 PM
Gun is too heavy for HD. I have one and once loaded with 8 rounds trying to move the gun around at arms length, then try to stop all that weight to acquire on target takes some muscle discipline.

robcoe
08-03-2011, 1:03 PM
Son wants one. I pointed out the overpenetration issue. Anything else Positive or negative on this choice?

Positives

If the person breaking in is a video game addict who just ventured outside for the first time in 6 months they might panic and run

negatives

Expensive
Heavy
Very large, unweidly for anyone who is not Andre the Giant
Low ammunition capacity
reliability issues
Expensive to practice with
Can be very picky about ammo

If your son actually wants a handgun for defending himself, tell him to look at Glock, CZ, Beretta, Rugers, Jericos, ect in more reasonable calibers(biggest handgun round I would use would be a .357 magnum, and I think that is pushing it a bit, I keep my GP100 HD gun loaded with .38spl +p ammo)

On the other hand, for just a gun to have and take to the range once in a while, a DE is definitively fun, I just dont think of them as a "useful" gun, they are a fun gun.

Cruznegao
08-03-2011, 1:07 PM
The only up side to using a Desert Eagle is that when it jams, it is heavy enough to knock out the bad guy when you throw it at them.:p

You can do the same thing with a Hi-Point for about $1350 cheaper.

macey109
08-03-2011, 1:11 PM
If I needed to defend myself in a video game, it might be a good choice. Other than that, I would never own one for any reason. They are a PITA to break down and clean. They are big and bulky and just not a good choice for anything except bragging to other gamers about.

breaks down to clean easier than a 1911...

definitely makes me smile when I do take it out.

RECOIL can be brutal- I am going to get my 50 and 44 barrel magna ported.

I can shoot the 50 indoors in OC legally.....

not unreliable if you don't limp wrist it

that all being said my HD is an 870 and p220 equinox

someR1
08-03-2011, 2:12 PM
if I had to choose a HANDGUN, I would say 40 semi-auto for sure.

Realistically if someone breaks in, the glock is my secondary, while the Remi 870 will be my main weapon of choice.:cool2:

hcbr
08-03-2011, 2:16 PM
overkill and not safe when in close quarters or having other civilians near by. Get him something else that's a bit more practical like a shotgun or a 9mm

KIDRR
08-03-2011, 2:28 PM
Why no 50AE?

CK_32
08-03-2011, 2:47 PM
:rofl2: that should give you my answer

someR1
08-03-2011, 2:48 PM
BLING BLING!!! YEAAAAAAAAAA!!!

http://i52.tinypic.com/1zyuft1.jpg

CK_32
08-03-2011, 3:05 PM
To be honest your son seems like he's the mans man and probably hasn't ever shot the 44mag before.. And if he has he's way to into the cool points of the big gun. Tell him go 45 and be done. Man enough for a hd gun. And he won't be login in a shack trying to afford hd rounds.

Tell him cut down on the call of dury

ParanoidCivilian
08-03-2011, 3:08 PM
I would get him a G18 with extended mags and a red dot sight, then plant a couple of claymores around the perimeter.

MultiCaliber
08-03-2011, 3:29 PM
I would get him a G18 with extended mags and a red dot sight, then plant a couple of claymores around the perimeter.

:rofl2:

But seriously, echo to all the other folks who have said .45; it's already got more power than you really need for HD, but if you're fearful of being home invasion'd by football player sized gang members or something, it's still enough to get the job done.

I'd love to say my REM 870 was my HD gun, but it's just too darn big to stash by the bed and yet out of reach from grabby little kid hands.

FullMetalJacket
08-03-2011, 3:43 PM
I own one. I shoot decently with it. It's powerful. It's fun.

Would I rely on it for home defense?

No way. Not unless it was all I had.

First strike against the DE is reliability. It's bad enough that feeding rimmed cartridges in an autoloader has always been a dicey prospect. But add to that the Desert Eagle's finickiness about the ammunition it will digest: jacketed bullets in order to feed right, and fairly stout loads to cycle the action. I have had more jams, misfeeds, incomplete cycles, etc. with the DE than I've had with all my other autoloading pistols combined. And don't even think about limp-wristing it.

The next black mark is the overkill factor. For all its additional size, cost, weight, power, recoil, and muzzle blast, the .44 Magnum is not a statistically better stopper than the smaller .357 Magnum or .45 ACP (with the right loads). Most of the ways it is "bigger" are detriments to self-defense: deafening report, blinding muzzle flash, smaller capacity, heavy recoil, and expensive ammunition.

Finally, there's cost. A new Desert Eagle costs more than just about any two better guns for self-defense. Instead of getting *a* Desert Eagle, why not consider getting a Glock in a more practical caliber and using the money saved to buy a Mossberg or Remington shotgun? Or just the handgun and a whole lot of ammunition? Or save the remainder for a rainy day?

The Desert Eagle is cool and it is fun. But there are much, much better choices for self-/home defense.

CK_32
08-03-2011, 3:44 PM

Yea and if he gets enough kills he will get a harrier strike and he'll be golden if the cops don't show up by then then somethings wrong there hahahahaha :D

Chaparral
08-03-2011, 4:11 PM
I had a DE briefly; it's hard to overstate how big they are in the hand. My hands are big but I never felt like I had an optimal grip, and the safety is not intuitive or comfortable. For the size and weight, 8 (9? I can't remember) rounds is unacceptably few. As mentioned, cost of staying proficient would be astronomical. For the price he could buy a Glock in .45 or 10mm and an 870, and ammo for each.

This! Still have mine. Thinking of either putting better sights on it or selling.

Apec
08-03-2011, 4:58 PM
I say let him get the Desert Eagle. If he likes it, good for him. If he doesn't, he'll learn (the hard way) to do his gun-shopping research outside of Counterstrike or Call of Duty MW.

supersonic
08-03-2011, 5:56 PM
My HD handgun of choice is:

1. The same weapon I have with me wherever I go
2. Only deployed while I get to my Rem 870
3. The same one that I am going to recommend below -

If your kid absolutely MUST have a 'magnum-powered' semi-auto pistol for home defense, there is no better choice than this:

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb181/giftedgiver/G201.jpg

meaty-btz
08-03-2011, 6:03 PM
Worried about home invasion? Setup some Auto-guns on your perimeter. New multi-target tracking software makes them a HIT! Fully automatic, high cyclic rate, uses .22 cal ammunition, capable of tracking human heads to place all rounds into the head box, did we mention it could track and engage more than one target at a time!

Forget waiting till they come in your house, get them before they become a threat and avoid the bloody mess in the carpet.

WARNING AUTO-GUNS WILL TARGET ALL MOVING OBJECTS IN LINE OF FIRE. THIS INCLUDES PETS, HOBOS, BLACK PEOPLE, ILLEGALS, KIDS, YOUR NEIGHBORS DOG, THAT DAMN POLICE MAN, AND YOU. AUTO-GUNS SHOULD NOT BE USED DAILY WITHOUT A PRESCRIPTION. CHECK LOCAL LAWS BEFORE DEPLOYING AUTO-GUNS.

(while I am being silly you can buy all you need to make multi-target tracking auto-guns for less than $500 and the software is open source! Legally! Just don't actually make them to shoot things with)

As for DE, they are fun. Pussies complain about recoil and limp wrist them, a DE should function reliably unless the user intervenes. Using a pistol for HD is kind of counter intuitive as every pistol round excepting a few carbine and rifle transplants should be considered sub-par performers in the anti-personnel range. Shotguns make a far better choice, and you can hunt with them too!

TangoCharlie
08-03-2011, 8:30 PM
I would almost call a .44 DE an irresponsible choice for HD. When the effect of your choice of HD gun extends to your immediate neighbors, you are going too far.

I discovered a couple years ago that my next door neighbor kept a Freedom Arms .454 Casull in his nightstand for HD. When I got really pissed off at him, he didn't understand why until I gave him a walk through of his own house. His very open floorplan is such that an intruder would in all likelihood be operating somewhere between his master bedroom on one side of the house and his kitchen on the other, so any late-night self-defense shots would be fired along that trajectory.

He agreed.

We didn't need to get into the ridiculous power of a .454, but he conceded that a round, regardless of hitting or missing the perp, would penetrate walls, many of them in fact.

Okay...

I walked him to the outdoor side of his kitchen -downrange in his self-defense plan- then 15 feet across his driveway, through the hedge that separates our property and right to the window of my daughters' bedroom.

I made him a deal that if he sold the .454, he could keep that cash and I would buy him a Remington 870 to replace it.

Your son's .44 won't be my problem, at least I think, but I doubt his neighbors would appreciate that choice either.

Jalibass
08-03-2011, 9:31 PM
I made him a deal that if he sold the .454, he could keep that cash and I would buy him a Remington 870 to replace it.

If I were your neighbor on the other side I'd by a .50 Alaskan / 50-110 BFR conversion, brag about it to you, sell it on CalGuns and wait for my free 870.

Warhawk014
08-03-2011, 9:45 PM
i had a DE 44 mag for a little while. they require a magnum load to cycle properly. which is the problem. if you buy off the shelf stuff from walmart you might get stuck with some ammo that might not cycle reliably. the cool factor is off the charts if your shooting full power loads at the range and everyone just stops to look at you. other than that its not all that. if he wants a powerful handgun, push him towards a G20, the 10mm with full power loads are right up there equal to and in some cases even more powerful then 357 mag.

shortround1
08-03-2011, 9:48 PM
I would almost call a .44 DE an irresponsible choice for HD. When the effect of your choice of HD gun extends to your immediate neighbors, you are going too far.

I discovered a couple years ago that my next door neighbor kept a Freedom Arms .454 Casull in his nightstand for HD. When I got really pissed off at him, he didn't understand why until I gave him a walk through of his own house. His very open floorplan is such that an intruder would in all likelihood be operating somewhere between his master bedroom on one side of the house and his kitchen on the other, so any late-night self-defense shots would be fired along that trajectory.

He agreed.

We didn't need to get into the ridiculous power of a .454, but he conceded that a round, regardless of hitting or missing the perp, would penetrate walls, many of them in fact.

Okay...

I walked him to the outdoor side of his kitchen -downrange in his self-defense plan- then 15 feet across his driveway, through the hedge that separates our property and right to the window of my daughters' bedroom.

Your son's .44 won't be my problem, at least I think, but I doubt his neighbors would appreciate that choice either.

Wait until he loads that 12 ga. with slugs. You just bought him a .70 cal. beast.

battleship
08-03-2011, 10:01 PM
Ive always wanted a Desert Eagle right up to the point when i pick it up, then i dont anymore until that urge comes back.

As for home defence well we all know thats not the real reason he wants one, besides he will have to sleep with welders goggles on so not to be blinded by the flash and then there is the hearing protection.

Big silly gun just get him a SW 500 instead.

1998 m4a1
08-04-2011, 4:32 AM

dont listen to all these weenies which are scared of the big bad .44mag or are too poor to afford the finer things in life! if he can handle the recoil, DE is a great gun.

macey109
08-04-2011, 8:18 AM
dont listen to all these weenies which are scared of the big bad .44mag or are too poor to afford the finer things in life! if he can handle the recoil, DE is a great gun.

+1!!!

J.D.Allen
08-04-2011, 9:50 AM
...and although I admit to having a handgun for HD purposes right now, due to selling my 18" 870 pump to fund a nice O/U for sporting clays purposes, a short barrel pump action 12 gauge shotgun is THE choice for HD... not any handgun.

Not if you listen to the folks at front site. According to them the best HD weapon is a Glock .45

A .44 mag is a poor choice for HD IMO. the recoil, muzzle flash, and not to mention the report, are all way too much to be firing in doors, with no hearing protection. Just try to get any kind of a follow up shot with that thing.

iareConfusE
08-04-2011, 11:31 AM
Not sure if anyone covered this already but shooting a magnum handgun indoors especially in a bedroom would cause severe permanent hearing damage. Coupled with what others mentioned such as cost to purchase, cost to maintain proficiency, over penetration and follow up shots it should be a huge no.

I'm pretty sure firing ANY firearm indoors (and outdoors) without hearing protection can and will cause permanent hearing damage, even a .22LR.

Ralgha
08-04-2011, 11:46 AM
Tell him to follow this (http://members.upc.nl/a.kutsenko/guide.htm) guide. He'll be the envy of all his friends. Imagine that scene from Aliens (directors cut) with the sentry guns mowing down the alien horde.

http://designbivouac.typepad.com/designbivouac/images/sentry00_1.jpg
http://aliens.humlak.cz/aliens/aliens_papirove_modely/home/ankety/sentrygun.jpg
http://media1.fxhome.com/preset-images/1832/preview.png

Jalibass
08-04-2011, 12:28 PM
I'm pretty sure firing ANY firearm indoors (and outdoors) without hearing protection can and will cause permanent hearing damage, even a .22LR.

Let a kid punch you in the nards then let Tyson punch you in the nards. Of course firing any firearm indoors will cause some hearing loss. The difference between firing a .45acp outdoors and a .44mag outdoors without hearing protection is exponential, I can't imagine what it's like inside.

iareConfusE
08-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Let a kid punch you in the nards then let Tyson punch you in the nards. Of course firing any firearm indoors will cause some hearing loss. The difference between firing a .45acp outdoors and a .44mag outdoors without hearing protection is exponential, I can't imagine what it's like inside.

Deaf for quite some time I imagine, from both calibers.

darkest2000
08-04-2011, 1:22 PM
Ah, no. unless you live in the woods. And yes I own a desert eagle in .44/.50AE. It's a range toy. It'll be the last gun I grab for HD.

Also why are you the one posting the questions, your son should do his own research.

762.DEFENSE
08-04-2011, 1:54 PM
Of course, it's literally a hand cannon lol.

SixtyDashOne
08-04-2011, 1:56 PM
Also why are you the one posting the questions, your son should do his own research.

Does playing Counter-Strike count as "research"? ;)

I have one in .50AE and it really is just a novelty pistol, unless you intended to hunt hogs with it or something. But I would not even think of using it for self defense unless it was the only thing I could get to. It's fun to shoot at the range every now and then, but it's heavy, has some harsh recoil, ammo is expensive, etc. It's a nice piece to round out a collection of guns, but as an only gun? Not for me.

If it was my son, I'd tell him to start out with what should be the essentials of any gun collection - skip the Desert Eagle for now, get a nice 1911, a good polymer gun, a 870 shotgun, and then he can start thinking about something like a Desert Eagle if it still floats his boat by that point in time.

pkc168
08-05-2011, 8:31 AM
Good choice... If you live in movie or comic reality...

Jason P
08-05-2011, 12:32 PM
He should get a M249 and a M224. Then and only then will he truly be ready for home defense:)

Seriously, Ruger semi-auto, made in US, reliable, insert caliber choice ____.

Jason P
08-05-2011, 12:34 PM
Actually now I'm thinking about it, and I don't even know how I would be affected by firing a DE at 3AM when I'm half asleep, bare-footed, need to piss, and there's a criminal in my house. Maybe sensory overload...

Need to borrow my buddy's DE and go camping with an alarm clock:)

JosephP
08-05-2011, 1:36 PM
I had 44 DE.
It is not a HD pistol unless you are very strong and big guy to manuver with DE with those 9mm glock.
It will slow you down.
And It has way more penetration and will not feed up every 44mag ammo since it has dual recoil spring with high tension.
Ammo price is high so will not have enough practice unless your son makes enough money to not to worry about ammo price.

So.... It is not a good choice for HD and there are tons more better pistols for HD.
DE is just fun and show up gun which is good choice in video game.

Webologist
08-05-2011, 4:02 PM
I had 44 DE.
It is not a HD pistol unless you are very strong and big guy to manuver with DE with those 9mm glock.
It will slow you down.
And It has way more penetration and will not feed up every 44mag ammo since it has dual recoil spring with high tension.
Ammo price is high so will not have enough practice unless your son makes enough money to not to worry about ammo price.

So.... It is not a good choice for HD and there are tons more better pistols for HD.
DE is just fun and show up gun which is good choice in video game.

Just the sight of little Billy walking out of the bedroom, with a confident look on his face and a golden Desert Eagle in his hand should cause any bad guy to immediately drop whatever they're doing and run out of the house. (I'm sure that's the image playing in his mind)

I agree with most of the other posters, the DE is a poor HD choice, for all the reasons mentioned.

killathrilla
08-05-2011, 4:05 PM
If u are defending against militant zombie bears then ur good to go with a 44 mag ;)

JosephP
08-05-2011, 4:35 PM
If u are defending against militant zombie bears then ur good to go with a 44 mag ;)

Even if that is the situation I'd go with S&W 629 with 44mag. lol:)

helpme
08-05-2011, 5:18 PM
If you live in a "neighborhood", or within a quarter mile of other homes, a .44 mag is probably a bad idea for home defense. Like everyone else said, video games lead to some questionable thoughts in kids heads nowadays and this definitely sounds like one of them haha.

Think about it, do you want a .44 magnum going off in the room next to you? Seems like a pretty high chance it would go straight through its' intended target and into anything else in its way.

In conclusion, allowing your son to get that gun with the intention of home defense is a horrible idea. Save yourself a trip to the hospital/morgue, honestly.

Get a nice .45

ehair
08-05-2011, 5:30 PM
Its perfect for hollywood home defense. I mean its perfectly reliable. Its the ideal size and weight. Great ergonomics. Its the perfect caliber for HD. It easy to get proficient with given the inexpensive ammo. All it needs is a rail for a light/laser to make it totally tactical. :)

Seriously you could spend 1/3 as much and get 3x a better HD gun....this is from someone who has 2 DEs.

Apec
08-05-2011, 6:05 PM
Actually, he needs two of them.
http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/6760/gorizercoverbychekydots.jpg