PDA

View Full Version : New Promotion Gift...What to get? Need some help

Ksmash01
08-02-2011, 7:56 PM
Hello All.

I was recently promoted within my company and I will be soon running my own store. Since I began working for the company, I have developed a love for firearms, and have bought at least one a year, and one for every promotion.

My last Promotion gifts to myself were 2 S&W 1911s: It didn't take me that long to save up to buy them. Most of my time was spent doing research, and I'm happy with my choice. Here's a pic of them I took a while ago:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=108999&stc=1&d=1312342486

So now that I don't really need to research much, all I have to do is save. I know I can't get everything I want(this year) but I'm kind of torn, because everything on my list is top notch in it's class IMO. This isn't a direct comparison of the firearms on my list, but based on advice, I could be swayed as to what I may be purchasing this year, for my promotion gift to myself.

I currently own the following calibers: .22lr, .380, 9mm, .357/38, and .45. I would really like to stick to those calibers, but after shooting 10mm, we can consider that too.

The ONLY Glocks/XD's I want are 9mm, but I don't need them that bad, because my M&P9s fill my need for a polymer pistol platform. If I did get a Glock 17, it would be soon followed by a 34, 19, and 26, in that order. I feel that exact way about an XD9 Tactical(or the XDm5.25 for that matter).

I would also like to purchase a nice .357/.38 revolver to go with my Ruger SP101. I'm looking at a S&W model 627. I would settle for a GP100 in Stainless.

CZ 75's look nice too, but like Glocks/XD's, I would want to get the 3 different sizes.

Lastly, a 9mm 1911 would be nice. I could go from a RIA Tactical(and trick it out), to a Springfield Loaded, but I'm also considering an EMP or Colt Defender.

That pretty much rounds out my wants for handguns at the moment. My budget is going to be about 2k to buy what I want in the next 6-8 months, with my first purchase coming within the first 30-60 days of my promotion. This gives me(and you) time to consider my options. I also have a dark horse candidate that I won't mention now, but will be up on the poll.

Thanks for looking, and your responses.

BTW, this isn't a "What's better" thread. Keep in mind, I would be open to purchasing a variety of the choices I put up, with a 2k budget. I could end up with a Kimber Eclipse 10mm and reloading equipment, or a CZ75/Glock 19/XD9 Compact...the options are VERY open.

Also, please post any persuasive pictures, or good reviews of the options above.

Thanks

NapaCountyShooter
08-02-2011, 8:31 PM
Get reloading equipment first, then shoot as many of the guns on your list as you can and get the ones that you can afford with the rest of your money.

mcat707
08-02-2011, 8:37 PM
With a 2K budget I would get something off roster and single shot it. But if I had to choose from above I would buy a few from the list with your 2K. The G19, RIA Tactical and the Ruger GP100 and save the rest for ammo.

Cokebottle
08-02-2011, 8:43 PM
Several of your options are not on the roster.
Not a brick wall... but something to be aware of.

PRCABR4Christ
08-02-2011, 8:53 PM
What will this guns intended purposes be? That would help us to give you suggestions

darmog
08-02-2011, 9:11 PM
I voted for the RIA Tactical and some form of CZ in 9mm. 9mm because it's still cheap even with the recent increase in ammo prices and you can find it anywhere. I voted for those guns because I'd like something relative cheap but reliable and made to take abuse. Don't want safe queens. Then with those guns, I'd go to Front Sight, Thunder Ranch, Magpul, or other local handgun schools and enjoy abusing those guns.

Ksmash01
08-02-2011, 9:15 PM
@ Cokebottle...I am aware of my non roster choices...

@PRCABR4Christ a combination of Target shooting and self defense. That's why I'm leaning on getting multiple firearms. Mainly expanding the collection.

PRCABR4Christ
08-02-2011, 9:34 PM
for target/range and self defense, my choices would be the Loaded 9mm and the Eclipse 10mm

Both are a ton of fun to shoot and both are accurate, the 10mm would be better for SD than the 9mm, but the 9mm is still a viable option for SD, if it were me, and I was leaning on these choices, I would do the 10mm since I don't currently own a 10mm

someR1
08-03-2011, 3:47 PM
glock and kimber for sure

Ubermcoupe
08-03-2011, 3:51 PM
My votes went toward the items that are a little less available. I have several pistols and I picked them up fairly easily (even though they are all green) but the ones I am left to desire are the ones I cannot easily get. blah blah blah, my point is, if it's a celebratory gun get something special. :thumbsup:

zfields
08-03-2011, 3:52 PM
reloading......pays for itself, so then you can buy more guns : )

Squidward
08-03-2011, 8:11 PM
I'm pretty much a Glock 9mm guy. But I bought a Glock (G20) 10mm a month ago. You gotta have one of these!!!

RolinThundr
08-03-2011, 8:50 PM
I've been checking out the CZ line myself- I do better with steel frame guns, thinking of getting a 9mm due to rising ammo costs. I'm also considering a Beretta 92, seems to be working out for our military, though I know some would debate the effectiveness of the caliber in combat- should be fine for SD though.

Ksmash01
08-04-2011, 10:25 AM
So far:

The Kimber Eclipse 10mm and the Springfield Loaded 9mm are on the top of the list(both in terms of votes, and what I really really want).

The reloading equipment is a close 3rd, with one less vote that the top 2.

I'm liking the way you guys think :D.

Ksmash01
08-04-2011, 10:31 AM
I'm pretty much a Glock 9mm guy. But I bought a Glock (G20) 10mm a month ago. You gotta have one of these!!!

Ya know, a guy I met at Chabot allowed me to shoot both his Kimber Eclipse and his Glock 20. Though I shot well with both, the Glock's grip was huge, too big for me in fact. The Kimber felt awesome.

I would have to try the 20SF in order to rule out the Glock 20 for sure. My hands aren't that big.

I don't have any problems with the smaller framed Glocks though. That's why I'm leaning towards the 17 etc.

I've been checking out the CZ line myself- I do better with steel frame guns, thinking of getting a 9mm due to rising ammo costs. I'm also considering a Beretta 92, seems to be working out for our military, though I know some would debate the effectiveness of the caliber in combat- should be fine for SD though.

I use 9mm for SD, in lieu of owning 45's.

And the cost of ammo is a reason why there are so many 9mm models in the poll. I'd really only consider adding another caliber if I got reloading equipment. If I'm gonna be shooting 6 handgun calibers, I'd best start reloading/saving brass.

VFX_man
08-04-2011, 10:37 AM
Really loving this one:
Sig Sauer p225 x-five Competition 9mm [pictured in my Avatar]
It also comes in a .40 S&W I believe.

At the range - I get tighter groupings from the Sig than
my Beretta 92FS Brigadier. Nice feel and heft.

Good luck!

Ksmash01
08-04-2011, 10:54 AM
Really loving this one:
Sig Sauer p225 x-five Competition 9mm [pictured in my Avatar]
It also comes in a .40 S&W I believe.

At the range - I get tighter groupings from the Sig than
my Beretta 92FS Brigadier. Nice feel and heft.

Good luck!

Thanks for the well wishes!!!

It does look like a nice piece, but it probably is most of my budget right there...yeah MSRP 1976.00...The Eclipse Custom II runs less than 1300 MSRP, and it's the most expensive pistol I want at the moment.

I'm getting at least 2 new pistols out of this, and I may extend my budget for reloading equipment if I need to...

VFX_man
08-06-2011, 8:12 PM
Thanks for the well wishes!!!

It does look like a nice piece, but it probably is most of my budget right there...yeah MSRP 1976.00...

Target Masters West has it for $1,654. If you are in
NorCal :)

loosewreck
08-06-2011, 8:21 PM
I didn't vote, for 2k I'd track down or single shot a 9mm blued Series 70 Colt commander or government size.

A Performance Center 627 sounds good to me too.

shooting4life
08-06-2011, 8:24 PM
I would get a s&w 629. Oh look, I happen to have a 629 for sale.

Ksmash01
08-06-2011, 8:26 PM
Target Masters West has it for $1,654. If you are in
NorCal :)

I am in NorCal, and Target Masters West isn't too far.

That's still the majority of my budget...

I didn't vote for 2k I'd track down or single shot a 9mm blued Series 70 Colt commander or government size.

A Performance Center 627 sounds good to me too.

When the time comes, I'm probably going to hunt for the best pistol/deal I can get.

Between the 2, I can't decide which sounds better. I may have to make that determination based on what's available at the time.

Ksmash01
08-06-2011, 8:28 PM
I would get a s&w 629. Oh look, I happen to have a 629 for sale.

I don't really want a 44mag...

I'm not that big on wheel guns to own more than a .357 and a .22.

MASTERLAB
08-06-2011, 8:47 PM
Buy It All :drool5:

ParanoidCivilian
08-07-2011, 7:43 AM
save your money, nothing like having a good nest egg.

Ksmash01
08-07-2011, 10:04 AM

Most sensible sir!

Having firearms isn't fun without money....I'll have to consider the effects of minimizing the gifts I give myself.

Thanks for the comment.

Ksmash01
08-07-2011, 10:06 AM
Buy It All :drool5:

Now, if I could come to a compromise between these two extremes, I think I'll be happy:D.

nagorb
08-15-2011, 4:23 PM
I would add a revolver, say S&W 686.

Buddhabelly
08-15-2011, 5:08 PM
It could be me, and you may one day get to the same point, but I'd rather have fewer quality guns than a lot of lesser quality guns. No offense to anyone but RIAs and plastic guns have great functional value, but not a lot of intrinsic and emotional value, to me. Once you have a few of them, time to reduce down and just keep 1. Move on to better guns with history or are iconic. I've gone through the phase of mass accumulation, and now I buy very select high end guns, and I find that I never have the desire to resell any of them.

If I were you, and I want to stick to buying as many guns as possible with 2K, and still make them quality worth while guns, I would get the iconic Browning High Power and a S&W model 27 from the old days. Get guns that mean something or have a history to them.

Or get a Les Bear Premier II 1911 with the 1.5" warranty, instead of a Kimber. It's close to your 2K on just 1 gun, but what a gun it'll be.

CZ9
08-16-2011, 1:23 PM
cough cough draco cough cough

IPSICK
08-16-2011, 2:24 PM
I voted primarily for reloading equipment and then a Glock next. Sounds like you have a decent collection already so if you can reload to feed those things. Also, I know you feel the M&P fills your polymer wants but a good collection should have a Glock IMO. Lastly, I realize this is the handguns forum but you haven't mentioned whether you have any long guns. AR, AK, or Shotgun in your future?

Leoshik
08-17-2011, 5:19 AM
CZ SP-01 was why I voted 'other'.

http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/8355/cz75sp01nw9rx7.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/355/cz75sp01nw9rx7.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Kanoodler
08-17-2011, 6:51 AM
How about something that is wonderful, AND no longer made? Colt Python, HK P7, Colt 70 series, Sig 210..... More difficult to get than some you have listed, but you will likely never get rid of it, and it will always remind you of the reward for your hard work.

taloft
08-17-2011, 10:31 AM
The Springfield Loaded in 9mm and the S&W 627 are my choices. However, I'd look into the 686. Depending on your hand size it may fit you better.

AeroEngi
08-17-2011, 10:56 AM
I voted primarily for reloading equipment and then a Glock next. Sounds like you have a decent collection already so if you can reload to feed those things. Also, I know you feel the M&P fills your polymer wants but a good collection should have a Glock IMO. Lastly, I realize this is the handguns forum but you haven't mentioned whether you have any long guns. AR, AK, or Shotgun in your future?

My thought exactly.

I see that you love pistols and you only have pistols on your list but you might want to consider an AR/AK.

RRichie09
08-17-2011, 12:19 PM
$2000 worth of ammo. Then go shooting everyday till you run out. I bet that brings you more joy than another handgun.

IPSICK
08-17-2011, 12:32 PM
My thought exactly.

I see that you love pistols and you only have pistols on your list but you might want to consider an AR/AK.

Funny enough my collection started out with pistols but now my long guns outnumber them 2 to 1.

someR1
08-17-2011, 2:05 PM
starting to run out of room lol....resorting to buying pistols!:43:

Ksmash01
08-17-2011, 8:16 PM

My thought exactly.

Actually, I do own a few long guns, and I do need to add a few. The one's I want aren't hard to find, or expensive, so I can put that on the back burner. I'm thinking AK variant, GSG-522, and either an AR-10 variant and/or an M1A.

For the record, I have 2 870's(7-shot security, and the 28" Express), a custom AR I assembled, a custom 10/22(assembled myself), and a custom Savage 93r17(also assembled myself). I've swapped stocks on my 870's so the security has the laminate wood from the Express, and the Express wears synthetic(I put the speedfeed 3 on it just to get funny looks:D). I buy long guns and make projects out of them. I usually just buy pistols and leave them stock, until I started playing with my M&P's and Apex parts.

In short, I don't want a project right now unless it's reloading. I can see myself getting a long gun and operating on it for months before ever firing it.

CZ SP-01 was why I voted 'other'.

http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/8355/cz75sp01nw9rx7.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/355/cz75sp01nw9rx7.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Well, I'd be just as happy with that, or a 75b. I could go either or between the SP-01 and the 75b. I know they're different, but I like them both equally.

$2000 worth of ammo. Then go shooting everyday till you run out. I bet that brings you more joy than another handgun.

That's the second best non firearm suggestion. I'd rather have $2000 worth of equipment and supplies.

Funny enough my collection started out with pistols but now my long guns outnumber them 2 to 1.

I was even at one point(9 pistols, 9 long guns) I've since sold a few...Now it's pistols almost 2 to 1.

starting to run out of room lol....resorting to buying pistols!:43:

Oh no....I have a sliding door closet with enough room for more safes. I have an ammo closet that can fit the stack on 8 gun cabinet. I've got room, but the hand guns do take up less space.

I could do to throw a wild card in the mix and just get an AK to go with whatever pistol I buy. I could get a Glock and an AK and probably have about $800 for ammo for the 2....dang it Calguns...now you've gone and made me think about a long gun/hand gun purchase...Stay tuned.

RRichie09
08-17-2011, 8:39 PM
^^ Or you could get another safe in anticipation of all the new shiny guns your gonna be able to buy with the raise that comes with the promotion. :thumbsup: