PDA

View Full Version : Post-Ban to Pre-Ban Legallity

pksbshp
01-11-2007, 7:42 PM
Hello everyone, just recently learned that you can legally buy AR type rifles again. I know....where the hell have I been. So it got me really interested. Anyways the question I want to ask is, I bought a post-ban bushmaster rifle back in 1999 that's registered as an assault weapon in california. I want to know since the federal AWB sunseted if I can LEGALLY reconfigure my rifle to pre-ban style since it is registered, with all the goodies (Flash supressor, collapsable stock, bayonet lug). Iv'e heard from some people that yes it is legal to reconfigure but then I hear from others it is not, so for anybody that knows definitively and answer will be greatly appreciated!

SemiAutoSam
01-11-2007, 7:45 PM
EDIT: sorry I didn't read his post in its entirety.

I misunderstood his post to mean he wanted to unregister it.

http://www.calguns.net/copmemo2.pdf

hoffmang
01-11-2007, 8:08 PM
pksbshp,

When you say it is registered, did you send a form to the California DOJ with the serial number on it and receive a letter back from them with its registration status?

If you did, you can configure your rifle in any way you'd like that isn't automatic. The SB-23 12276.5 configuration restrictions don't apply if the firearm is truly registered.

-Gene

bwiese
01-11-2007, 8:09 PM
If its built on a listed receiver.

Not quite - many SB23 AWs were reg'd in 2000 that were not listed guns (Imbel FALs, etc.) However, *at the time* all AR pattern guns were considered listed.

Hello everyone, just recently learned that you can legally buy AR type rifles again. I know....where the hell have I been. So it got me really interested. Anyways the question I want to ask is, I bought a post-ban bushmaster rifle back in 1999 that's registered as an assault weapon in california.

Good man.

I want to know since the federal AWB sunseted if I can LEGALLY reconfigure my rifle to pre-ban style since it is registered, with all the goodies (Flash supressor, collapsable stock, bayonet lug).

Absolutely. Once something is a legal, registered assault weapon in CA, there's no crime in adding, changing or deleting SB23 'evil features' (as long as other special laws not violated - like short bbls, silencers, etc.) There are no degrees, shades or tiers of assault weapons status. It either is or is not an assault weapon, and it is, or is not legally registered.

On Sept 15 2004 lotsa folks put on collapsible stocks on their reg'd ARs since the Fed ban expired.

Iv'e heard from some people that yes it is legal to reconfigure but then I hear from others it is not, so for anybody that knows definitively and answer will be greatly appreciated!

I and several others here know the answer definitively, I've done such mods it to several of my reg'd AWs, go ahead and do it. You are violating no laws.

If your Bushy wants a flash hider, telestock, forward grip, etc. go out and get happy with your Visa card :)

pksbshp
01-11-2007, 8:25 PM
Yes I registered it with the DOJ and did receive a letter back, saying something like this. "Your application for assault weapon registration has been processed by the Department of Justice (DOJ). The following weapons have been approved and registered pursuant to subdivision (a) of Penal Code Section 12285:"
XXXXXX Bushmaster XM15E2S Rifle 223

So you guys are saying that Yes I can??? My bushy wants!!!
I hope you guys are right!

blkA4alb
01-11-2007, 8:30 PM
So you guys are saying that Yes I can??? My bushy wants!!!
I hope you guys are right!
Don't worry, we are ;) .

pksbshp
01-11-2007, 8:32 PM
Thanks Guys you really made my day!!!!!

hoffmang
01-11-2007, 8:34 PM
Go forth and build it in any way you'd like. The only reason there are still some stores or manufacturers keep talking about "preban" is that some states still rely on it, but not California.

The only thing you've got to keep in mind is the Registered AW transport laws which are mostly like handgun transport restrictions.

-Gene