PDA

View Full Version : New CZ75 SP-01 First Impressions

lwlaml
08-02-2011, 4:10 PM
Hello Calgunners. In shopping for a new handgun, over the course of the past two months, I have rented the following: 1911, XDM, HK 45, CZ 75B, and a 92FS. I chose to go CZ and purchased a CZ75 SP-01.

It went to the range today. Here are some initial observations:

This is a full size pistol - very satisfying heft
It is heavy. I don't carry, but I don't think anyone would want to carry this
Very nice workmanship and finish. No complaints in the aesthetics department
It handles well. I have size 8 hands and the grip is perfect. It's hard to believe this is a double stack mag with 19 round capacity (outside of CA)

So off to the range. Just some level setting - I am NOT a good shooter. My groupings at 25ft with a 9mm semi are typically within six inches (boo...). Anyway, this CZ feels great in the hand!!! Size is nice, weight is great. The recoil is minimal and the muzzle flip is very manageable. Operationally, everything is where it should be. I have a little trouble reaching the slide release with my strong hand without shifting my grip, but aside from that the ergonomics are very nice.

I shot 150 rounds of reloads that Dan-O got for me last weekend. Here's the last twenty rounds I fired (yes, I need to practice and get better control). The targets are six inches in diameter.

This is from 25 feet:

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/5505/jurupa2011080200007.jpg

And this is from 50ft:

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/5315/jurupa2011080200006.jpg

If anyone is still shopping, I hope this info helps.

Lester

jingerale
08-02-2011, 4:17 PM
I know there are tons of posts with pics already but more pics of the gun wouldn't hurt..hint hint

I noticed that you didn't rent any Glocks to try. No love for plastic guns? =) j/k. I wish my local ranges had CZ for rent. I didn't even know about CZs til after I bought my Glock.

lwlaml
08-02-2011, 4:40 PM
LOL! I'll post pics of the pistol when I get back from my kids' Tae Kwon do class. :)

I really like the feel of the 1911 so I decided to stick with a steel pistol with an external hammer. Obvious differences in the design of course will never allow a CZ to feel exactly like a 1911, but I'm really enjoying it so far. I thought about buying a 1911 in 9mm but I thought it was too much like buying a Mustang with a V6.

I know there are tons of posts with pics already but more pics of the gun wouldn't hurt..hint hint

I noticed that you didn't rent any Glocks to try. No love for plastic guns? =) j/k. I wish my local ranges had CZ for rent. I didn't even know about CZs til after I bought my Glock.

InGrAM
08-02-2011, 4:45 PM
LOL! I'll post pics of the pistol when I get back from my kids' Tae Kwon do class. :)

I really like the feel of the 1911 so I decided to stick with a steel pistol with an external hammer. Obvious differences in the design of course will never allow a CZ to feel exactly like a 1911, but I'm really enjoying it so far. I thought about buying a 1911 in 9mm but I thought it was too much like buying a Mustang with a V6.

With 300 Hp and 30 MPG I doubt that is much of a problem for people anymore lol

Nice pick in handguns the CZ is quickly becoming the all steel glock. A BHP would also have been nice but I just couldn't imagine paying what browning wants for a new one :eek:. I do love my FM BHP for $300 though :D

zfields
08-02-2011, 4:46 PM

Bullseye in san rafael has 2 CZs for rent. a 75b, and a compact.

Super Spy
08-02-2011, 4:49 PM
I really want a CZ-75 SP01....though a phantom would be preferred. Trying to have a friend help me with that quest....

zfields
08-02-2011, 4:51 PM
I really want a CZ-75 SP01....though a phantom would be preferred. Trying to have a friend help me with that quest....

Im still in between a phantom or a p07 now that im outside of CA.

the p07 is small enough I could carry it some months.

KracknCorn
08-02-2011, 4:51 PM
I love my SP-01, but the single action creep/camming before the break was horrible. If you ever decide to do a trigger job, you can get this drop in kit from http://cajungunworks.com/1.html. I just got the kit 3 and now my Sp-01 is like a finely tuned race gun.

Freq18Hz
08-02-2011, 4:52 PM

Not sure why you would want a phantom. But forget the quest, Krauswerk's has had one in stock for months.

-Freq

SMR510
08-02-2011, 4:52 PM
Nice choice! Im picking my SP-01 Shadow up tomorrow, I cant wait!

I've been doing a bunch of reading about proper grip in anticipation to pick it up and it seems that you may need to move your strong hand more to the left if that makes sense. The center of the backstrap should be in the web between your thumb and index finger. Also your trigger finger should hit the trigger on the pad not at the joint. That should help your shooting and allow you to get to the slide release easier as well.

Those were the mistakes I was making and I'm hoping with a bit of practice using snap caps that I can retrain myself to get a proper grip without thinking about it.

zfields
08-02-2011, 4:54 PM
Not sure why you would want a phantom. But forget the quest, Krauswerk's has had one in stock for months.

-Freq

phantom is a lot lighter, dont have to shave ounces off to keep it in production!

lwlaml
08-02-2011, 5:03 PM
Thanks for the tip! I really need to bring my POI back to the right and this sounds like good advice.

Nice choice! Im picking my SP-01 Shadow up tomorrow, I cant wait!

I've been doing a bunch of reading about proper grip in anticipation to pick it up and it seems that you may need to move your strong hand more to the left if that makes sense. The center of the backstrap should be in the web between your thumb and index finger. Also your trigger finger should hit the trigger on the pad not at the joint. That should help your shooting and allow you to get to the slide release easier as well.

Those were the mistakes I was making and I'm hoping with a bit of practice using snap caps that I can retrain myself to get a proper grip without thinking about it.

ZNinerFan
08-02-2011, 5:45 PM
When I got my last 9mm it was a toss up between the RIA Tactical in 9mm and a CZ SP-01. I went the RIA route and am kinda feeling a little buyers remorse not getting the CZ.

SMR510
08-02-2011, 7:20 PM

-Freq

Yea but it isnt on the roster so its not like anyone can just go in there and grab it. I am kinda surprised they have one actually. I think they may have misread the roster saying "poly" for the finish rather than a polymer frame because when I called about a SP-01 they said they had the phantom but didnt mention it was off roster.

On a related note whey dont they list the manufacturer sku on the roster? That would make buying/price checking online a whole lot easier!

paul0660
08-02-2011, 7:38 PM
On a related note whey dont they list the manufacturer sku on the roster?

In most cases they do. In CZ's case the five digit numbers that start with 0 have 10 rd or less mags, otherwise the number starts with a 9.

Baga
08-02-2011, 8:45 PM
My buddy bought a CZ, can't remember what model it was, and when I tried it it felt very comfortable fitting to my hand and well balanced. I felt like I was shooting very accurate with it.

lwlaml
08-02-2011, 9:03 PM
Picture of said SP-01:

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/5749/photouh.jpg

SMR510
08-02-2011, 10:58 PM
In most cases they do. In CZ's case the five digit numbers that start with 0 have 10 rd or less mags, otherwise the number starts with a 9.

Wow your right! WTF how come I didn't see that before. That should make life a bit easier in the future trying to find what I am going to buy next.

The CZ's arent listed but everything else I checked was, CZ's are easy to figure out its the bigger manufacturers that are harder to figure out.

No wonder, the M&P's arent listed either not sure why. That is what I was looking at before I decided on the CZ.

Blackhawk556
08-02-2011, 11:20 PM
The sp-01 is my favorite gun to shoot at the moment. I can't imagine how much more ill love it if I ever decide to get rigger job. Congrats on the new purchase. Since you're still learning to shoot, why don't you place the target 15 feet away from you and back it up as you improve?

lwlaml
08-02-2011, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the advice! I thought that anything less than 25ft seemed too close to be a challenge, but I see your point. I'll try that next time and see how I do.

Lester

The sp-01 is my favorite gun to shoot at the moment. I can't imagine how much more ill love it if I ever decide to get rigger job. Congrats on the new purchase. Since you're still learning to shoot, why don't you place the target 15 feet away from you and back it up as you improve?

Blackhawk556
08-02-2011, 11:53 PM
^^^Don't even think that, it's better that you learn how to shoot rather than just shoot and waste bullets. I would even try 10 feet first and if that proves to be too easy, then move it out to 15 feet quickly.

Blackhawk556
08-02-2011, 11:57 PM
Have you seen this video? I've posted this many times, but I watched this video over and over again and used his techniques. My groups are not awesome, but they have improved dramatically compared to how I use to shoot 6months ago. http://m.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&hl=en&client=mv-google&v=-Yohikhl9_c

Someguy925
08-03-2011, 6:46 AM
So off to the range. Just some level setting - I am NOT a good shooter.

Then its time to kit up a Kadet kit, which I did with my CZ 75 SA.

himurax13
08-03-2011, 7:45 AM
I love my SP-01, but the single action creep/camming before the break was horrible. If you ever decide to do a trigger job, you can get this drop in kit from http://cajungunworks.com/1.html. I just got the kit 3 and now my Sp-01 is like a finely tuned race gun.

This. I installed the Cajun Gunworks kits on my CZ-75 Shadow and on my P01. Both are far better than all of my guns save for the Springfield loaded 9mm.:)