View Full Version : reduced loads

01-11-2007, 5:28 PM
Anyone used low recoil loads in a semi auto?

01-18-2007, 3:09 PM
r u ref to tactical low recoil loads?
I've used Federal in my Benelli M90.
I've got PMC, Hornady and Win. Haven't tried these though, kinda pricy for plinking.
Next time I'll spend the money on a recoil pad instead:)

01-18-2007, 5:30 PM
The problem with using low recoil loads of any kind in a semi-auto is that you are not always guaranteed to function the action. Best bet is to buy a box of all the low recoil ammo and simply try it out in your gun. My Gold will cycle everything down to 7/8 ounce 12 gauge ammo. Remingtons tend to demand one ounce loads at 1200 fps or better. Benellis seem to work with some and not work with others. I can't comment on the Berettas since some can handle the light loads, and others can't.

01-26-2007, 3:26 AM
Winchester Lo Recoil slugs run great in my Benelli.

I shoot Estate 2.75 dram 1 1/8th ounce trap loads run without a hitch.

01-26-2007, 7:42 AM
The 2.75 dram 1 1/8 loads are standard light target ammo and should function most semi-auto's. Where you get into trouble is where you get the reduced recoil one ounce or 7/8 ounce loads. There isn't enough punch to cycle the bolt. I knew a guy who was shooting the paper hulled Federal target hulls and it was giving his Benelli fits, he was not able to get them loaded with speed sticks and it was too light to cycle his action reliably. I saw him recently at a match with 3 dram 1 1/8 ounce target loads in plastic hulls and this seemed to make his ammo problems disappear.

01-27-2007, 1:26 PM
That's what's nice about pumps.

01-27-2007, 1:55 PM
That's what's nice about pumps.

What gives today? I see that you have posted 17 times just today with pretty much nothing to say each time. Are you just here trying to sell something (aka reach 25 posts)?

Edit: Make that 18 posts! I guess on the flip side we only have to wait for another 7 post before we see what you are trying to sell!

01-27-2007, 5:51 PM
Pumps are nice in that regard, however, after a while, really hot ammo tends to give me a headache. I do like my 20 Gauge Wingmaster but for late season duck hunting, I prefer my Gold Hunter. He did ask about light ammo in a semi-auto however.

01-28-2007, 8:23 AM
I was referring to "tactical" low recoil in a Benelli M1. Thanks for the input.