View Full Version : Chabot/Castro Valley August 20-21 Heads Up

08-02-2011, 1:54 PM
I don't think I'm going to make this one, but I was checking to see how many slots are available... and there are only 9 left (down from 50). If you're going to register, do it now!

08-05-2011, 8:02 PM
It's sold out now, for the record - two full weeks before the event!

08-06-2011, 1:25 PM
Wow.....I just looked the other day and they still had openings. I've been to a couple of Saturday sessions but hadn't been able to attend the Sunday one because of work. I was actually planning on making it to the both days this time around but hadn't signed up yet. Do you know if they may run another relay for guys who drop in?

08-06-2011, 1:36 PM
You know, there are always people who don't show up... but I don't know if they factor that into their calculations. I'd say it can't hurt to show up and see if they can take any walk-ons with the idea that if they say no you could always just go shoot at the regular range so it wouldn't be a wasted trip. Also, I believe there are generally fewer people there on Sunday so you could always try that. I did Saturday one time and Sunday another and it was fine - they start with some review on Sunday so it will get you back up to speed.

08-06-2011, 1:49 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Eljay. I might just drop in on Sunday and see if they can squeeze me in. I really just want to see how I do with my M1A shooting the AQT. I qualified Riflemen with my 10/22 awhile back but I want to see if I can do it with a centerfire rifle. Sunday maybe a better day to go because, from what I understand, they shoot the AQT more on that day.

08-06-2011, 2:00 PM
Basically the way my Sunday went was
1. Review of safety stuff
2. Shoot redcoats
3. Shooting squares and review of how to use the sling, etc.
4. Two AQTs
5. Lunch and history
6. Five more AQTs. In between each one a little mini review or other instruction.
7. Redcoats
8. Summing up

The exact number of AQTs will vary depending on how many other drills they do but figure 5-8 on a Sunday. I think you could probably do 400 rounds just on Sunday depending on just how many turnarounds they get.

08-10-2011, 4:04 PM
Another heads up - I was mulling over going in October and I see 13 of the 50 slots are gone already. Geeze.

08-17-2011, 9:20 PM
I do believe I was number one to reserve for October :cool: I would have preferred August but I was s-l-o-w and it was all full up. At least this gives me more time to prepare...though for me that could be a bad/expensive thing; I'm always saying, "I might need one of those" when getting set for something like this.
See you all in October!

08-22-2011, 9:47 PM
Here's the after action report if anybody's curious about what they missed: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=24665.0

Looks like they had a good time. October's filling up pretty fast, by the way...